Helmet lock?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droptail

Reaction score
I think this is the first bike I've ever owned that didn't come with a helmet lock, big oversight in my opinion. Have I missed it somewhere on the bike?

More than (1) of my helmets don't even fit in my saddle bags either, although I don't have the bags on much of the time anyway.

This must have been beaten to death here, but my searches don't come up with much, please refer to links.

Thanks

I think this is the first bike I've ever owned that didn't come with a helmet lock, big oversight in my opinion. Have I missed it somewhere on the bike?
More than (1) of my helmets don't even fit in my saddle bags either, although I don't have the bags on much of the time anyway.

This must have been beaten to death here, but my searches don't come up with much, please refer to links.

Thanks
I can't believe I beat MM2 to this, but here's what Googling "FJR Forum Helmet Locks" came up with. FWIW, I have the Helmet Guardian locks mounted on the sub frame lower attachement bolts. Check TownsendsFJR1300 under FJR Vendor Offers for the bracket. https://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp...bb90598241b844f

I bought a Helmet Guardian and use it all the time. I also used the bracket to mount my back off lights.

You can buy them from Premier Cycle Accessories which I highly recommend. Clicky

fjrrrr042.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Call me cheap, but I use a lightweight combination locking cable, available at most hardware stores.

I just loop the helmet chin bar and lock it to the grab rail.

It coils up and easily fits in the fairing pocket or your jacket pocket.

You don't have to carry an extra key.

I realize it is not super high security but all I am trying to do is keep someone from casually picking the helmet up and walking off.

I have also looped it through my tank bag handle when I make a stop and will be out of sight.

Like I said, just to discourage the casual thief

The helmet locks on most factory equipped bikes are so weak they could be easily defeated with a large screwdriver.

I also bought the Helmet Guardian lock set and then mounted the locks onto Townsends brackets. This is your traditional helmet lock setup that I'm used on previous bikes. And to fine tune the installation, you can rekey most Helmet Guardian locks so that you bike key will work using instructions I posted a while back: Clicky Here

I bought a Helmet Guardian and use it all the time. I also used the bracket to mount my back off lights.
You can buy them from Premier Cycle Accessories which I highly recommend. Clicky

fjrrrr042.jpg
Or CycleGadgets.com

Or other vendors in this thread
Do you have a pic with a helmet attached? I'm curious to see if it hits exhaust or any other part of bike.

on your Gen I, like mine (we do have the fastest colors, don't we), there are two tabs sticking out of the tank under the seat

I loop my d ring on a tab and replace the locking seat on top...works perfectly for moi

3448159967_3004bf44a6.jpg

3448159973_a7963f875f.jpg

3448159969_2c6dc00632.jpg

Thanks for the solutions. Kind of an oversight for Yamaha in my opinion.

After looking under the seat, I attached a "D" shackle that goes in between the seats.

Patriot, great solution. I will look into your idea.

Thanks again guys.

I tend to hang my helmet over the mirror when I stop, right side up so as not to encourage any wayward birds or drunks. But you can't (easily) lock them there.

That's why I was thinking, if one was to make a bracket that slipped under the mirror (similar to how aux light brackets often do) you could mount any one of the d-ring locks on that bracket and lock your helmet up there!!

Paging WynPro manufacturing... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a set of Helmet Pegs. They mount thru the clutch/brake fulcrom. Couple correct padlocks finishes them. Plus, no chance of helmets falling off when just taking a break along the ride.