Helmet Locks - Got an opinion?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyway

Reaction score
I'm looking for some feed back on a quality flush mount helmet lock. Can it be possible to get one of these units re-keyed for the Yamaha key? (I 'ain't no locksmith as you can probably tell)

I've seen the Helmet Gaurdian product that mounts near the licence plate, but I'm not mounting in this location.

TIA.

Dude, 10 months ago I would have said "I got nothing". Today I am saying... "I got nothing!".

I think we might feel the same way about helmet locks. I don't want it hanging off the license plate. I don't want it hanging off the ends of the bars. I don't want my nice electronics on the helmets getting cable fried over the pipes.

So I'm contemplating a self-engineered locking mech for locking two helmets upright on the seat. Still thinking... too bad it's not my forte'.

there's a post from Fred H on how to re-key the cylinders in the Helmet Guardian to match your ignition key. I was able to do it fairly easily. If the Yamaha key will go in, it should be able to be re-keyed -- if you take the cylinder and key to a locksmith -- shouldn't cost too much.

Clicky

Then -- remove them from their bracket, and find a place and screw them on.

OHFJR makes an angle bracket that they will fit in that's for his rack -- but you could put them anywhere.

11506-2T.jpg

Available from OHFJR here: Clicky

They don't have to be mounted to the tail rack -- just about could mount them anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking for some feed back on a quality flush mount helmet lock. Can it be possible to get one of these units re-keyed for the Yamaha key? (I 'ain't no locksmith as you can probably tell)
I've seen the Helmet Gaurdian product that mounts near the licence plate, but I'm not mounting in this location.

TIA.

How about this? This keeps the left helmet off the hot exhuast pipe.

HelmetLock4.jpg

OHFJR - What locks are you selling, how much each and can they be easily re-keyed for a single Yamaha key?

I'm not looking to investigate all the different mounting points, as I have my own mounting location in mind. The locks just need to be suitable for mounting on a flat surface.

there's a post from Fred H on how to re-key the cylinders in the Helmet Guardian to match your ignition key. I was able to do it fairly easily. If the Yamaha key will go in, it should be able to be re-keyed -- if you take the cylinder and key to a locksmith -- shouldn't cost too much.
Clicky
Thanks for the FredH links, though in his report he seems to be describing an unknown helmet lock removed from a Honda bike at some dealership?

I always get a kick out of action shots with hacksaw's, drill bits etc. :D

What I use is probably not what you are after but it really works. When I bought my Kuryakyn Grand Tour Bag it came with a combination lock with a retractable cable. I use it for a helmet lock. I just run it through the chin bar on the helmet, set the helmet on the seat and then around the passenger grab bar. You can let out enough cable to go through two helmets and the cable is short enough that if the helmet gets knocked of the seat it can't make it to the ground. I store it in the dash compartment on the bike so it is always handy. Just an idea.

Does anybody know the name of that helmet lock that fits between the rider's seat and the pillion? That way the ignition key would work. It looks like a piece of bent shim stock that doesn't clear the seat and hooks thru the d rings. I'm surprised more people do not use this.

Does anybody know the name of that helmet lock that fits between the rider's seat and the pillion? That way the ignition key would work. It looks like a piece of bent shim stock that doesn't clear the seat and hooks thru the d rings. I'm surprised more people do not use this.
That was FJReady's farkle. It's here.

I thought it was a great solution, but I have a Nolan. No D-rings.

I have that one squeezer but the downside is it's impossible to use if you've got anything strapped to the back seat... which I usually do during more than a 2 day trip.

There is a bracket that is made by townsendsfjr1300 that is an adapter that is mounted to the side of your bike. I've been talking to him about making one for me. Traditionally, it uses the Guardian locks but I bought a Motion Pro which has a different bolt up pattern (he's making one special for me) & it won't sit flush to the bracket, (but it was cheap) but shouldn't make a difference. I don't have the time right now or I'd post a pic up og the one I'm getting. Oh also, this is a farkle for the '03-05... not '06 & above.

You might check "search" for this info if interested.

Heidi

OHFJR - What locks are you selling, how much each and can they be easily re-keyed for a single Yamaha key?
I'm not looking to investigate all the different mounting points, as I have my own mounting location in mind. The locks just need to be suitable for mounting on a flat surface.

Clicky
Thanks for the FredH links, though in his report he seems to be describing an unknown helmet lock removed from a Honda bike at some dealership?

I always get a kick out of action shots with hacksaw's, drill bits etc. :D

The Fred H. re-key is what I used to do the Helmet Guardian... it's the same.

OHFJR's locks are the same ones from the Helmet Guardian. He's just fab'd individual bracket for each lock. The Helmet Guardian bolts them both to a straight piece of angle steel.

How 'bout some of these:

IMG_1315.jpg

Helmet Guardians re-keyed to fit my ignition key and moved to the pre-06 brackets available from contacting TownsendsFJR1300 at AOL dot com for details. Tell 'im I sent ya. I'd get some longer bolts if you go this way, as they also hold on the frame extensions and you don't want those falling off. :eek:

Based on hearsay, I'm not sure if the current incarnation of Helmet Guardian locks are still re-keyable to the Yamaha key.

IMG_3476.jpg

I don't have D rings. Went ElCheapo with no keys to mess with. Used bicycle shift cables and housings and a aluminum crimp ferul at the little loop. Just drill a little hole in the brace for a cable end stop, slid on the housing, and crimp. Cost about $3 each.

I have one for each helmet to hang on each side. Put the small loop on a bolt head or I just use the pointy lip, snap the rear seat back on, and you have to look closely to see what security is being used. Not the most secure, but keeps thefts of opportunity away, and the cables hid out of the way.

Couldn't find any with HD logo though. :p

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

I got some flush mount locks from my Yamaha dealer. Free. They have to remove the locks on their 1100 cruiser when installing the Silverado bags. They had a pile of them and just handed me a couple. This was the 2nd dealer that I checked. The first one said they had to destroy them as they fit the ignition key of the bikes from which they were removed.

But... I have not figured out where and how to attach them so they will be handy and look nice. Yet.

Maybe fabricate some kind of mount bracket.