Helmet noise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustHoward

Reaction score
I ride with a Shoei Platinum 3/4 helmet, with a snap-on face shield. The helmet alone is a little noisy, but with the face shield is very noisy. This makes me wear ear plugs, which in turn requires super amplification of my Ipod to get through the sound deadening of the earplugs. Here's my question:

Is there a way to reduce the noise that is somehow created by the snap-on faceshield on the 3/4 helmet?

Short of spending hundreds of dollars on custom ear canal phones, is there a better way to get audio and sound deadening?

Is the road noise in a full face or flip-up helmet significantly lower than in my 3/4 helmet?

Howard

Aerostich has a plug that allows the ear-bud to fit thru it...giving you radio w/o road noise. 3 sizes I believe. Otherwise, FF IS safer and quieter (I used to use 3/4 all the time on my Connie)

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though I strongly suggest going to a full face helmet...when I rode using a 3/4 lid I did not use the snap on visors but used MX goggles instead. Scott makes a nice pair that can be worn over glasses and the lenses can be switched out quickly. Alot more quiet but keep in mind you will have not protection in the mouth/nose area from flying debris.

Get a good full face helmet...these can actualy save your face, as more than 59 percent of helmet contacts with the ground in a crash are face first. I had a friend who wore a 3/4 and spent 10 weeks with his jaw wired shut from a low speed get off.

Not trying to scare you or anything...........

KM

Try taping the edge of the face shield for a ride to see if it helps. If so, you could use foam to close the gap.

Shoei and other full face helmets should be MUCH quieter. I absolutely HATE my Arai Corsair, though, with the singing vent thingies on top.

Very simple solution...ear plugs...I just rode 5312k's on hols and tried the ear plugs for the first time and now I will not ride with out them made a huge difference to the sound (Bugger all filtered in) but still being able to here the bike albeit very quietly. And the most dramatic improvement was the fatigue factor without all that bloody noise! That's the cheapest and most effective solution. Good luck

I ended up going with Etymotic HF2's. A friend really likes the ER6's.

When not on the bike, they give me a headset for the phone, are stereo for music and are sound-isolating for the bike. They work great. When the bike is idling and no music is playing, I can just hear the bike (stock exhaust); with music playing I can't hear the bike.

I've got an HJC Symax II full-face modular helmet that has quite a bit of wind noise at speed. With these headphones in, regardless of music, the wind noise is almost gone. It does make stop and go a little more interesting, as you have to use vibration to decide if the engine needs more gas to start from a stop, but I haven't stalled it yet. :)

I have an ipod shuffle (the new small one), that I wrap the cord around my neck twice and clip the shuffle to the cord. This keeps it from getting hung up on any gear or anything and keeps the off button within reach, not that gloved hands have a chance at shutting it off.

Mike

I use Etymotic ER-20s from aerostich.com on my SV-650. I got a Cee Bailey's +6 +4 windshield and now I don't need earplugs on the FJR any more. Passing cars are REALLY loud, though.

I wear a Nolan N-103 flip-up. Flip-ups are noisier than standard full-face, but they're still a hell of a lot quieter than 3/4s. I wear glasses & hate d-rings, so I have little choice. At least the 103 actually fits my head shape, where the older Nolans didn't.

Howard ~

If you're a bit handy with your hands, you can make a perfectly acceptable set of custom ear plugs with speaker buds imbedded within.

Go to a competent outdoor type store (Cabela's or similar). You will find a couple of different kits being offered to make custom ear plugs using rubberized casting materials... so simple, even a caveman can do it!

Utilizing a set of ear buds of your choice, make up a set of ear plugs to fit yourself, then carefully install the buds of your choice.

According to a couple of friends, the process is pretty easy to do, and considerably less expensive than buying the "motorcycle specific" units being sold. I've been told it's pretty easy to insert the bud inner workings into your custom molded ear plugs, as all you need is the interior guts withough the surrounding foam, etc.

Might be worth a try...

Don

Howard ~If you're a bit handy with your hands, you can make a perfectly acceptable set of custom ear plugs with speaker buds imbedded within.

Go to a competent outdoor type store (Cabela's or similar). You will find a couple of different kits being offered to make custom ear plugs using rubberized casting materials... so simple, even a caveman can do it!

Utilizing a set of ear buds of your choice, make up a set of ear plugs to fit yourself, then carefully install the buds of your choice.

According to a couple of friends, the process is pretty easy to do, and considerably less expensive than buying the "motorcycle specific" units being sold. I've been told it's pretty easy to insert the bud inner workings into your custom molded ear plugs, as all you need is the interior guts withough the surrounding foam, etc.

Might be worth a try...

Don
Wow! That sounds great! Okay, whoever takes this on this custom earplug solution and follow the above instructions, is

hereby sanctioned to docu-pic the process and post on the forum...