Helmet recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
I've read on a mc board about a company that will custom fit an Arai helmet using different cheek pads, etc. Anyone done this? They will be at the show in Minneapolis in 2/08 and I will check them out. My last three helmets were Shoei x11s. They are a bit noisy and I have had a problem keeping the shield against the helmet. I'd like the lightest and QUIETEST helmet available. Suggestions? Ian, Iowa

I've read on a mc board about a company that will custom fit an Arai helmet using different cheek pads, etc. Anyone done this? They will be at the show in Minneapolis in 2/08 and I will check them out. My last three helmets were Shoei x11s. They are a bit noisy and I have had a problem keeping the shield against the helmet. I'd like the lightest and QUIETEST helmet available. Suggestions? Ian, Iowa
I just ordered a set of 10mm thicker cheek pads for my HJC Animus from NewEnough.com. I've got a triangular shaped face which makes getting a good fit difficult. Snugged that puppy right up! Oddly enough, wearing the full face is actually noiser than wearing a beanie. Throw in some earplugs that make contact with the cushioning when getting buffeted and you have a noise that sounds like a tornado being generated by neaderthal crickets.

This should fix that problem right up. You might want to go have a look.

-Steve

Quietest? NOT Arai.

Try some of the Schuberts. I don't have one but I hear they are very quiet compared to the others. I rank my Arai's up as pretty load compared to the Shoeis.

Custom fit is about fit, not noise.

Schuberth have a carbon fiber one as well. Pretty damn light. Expensive.....

Hi Ian:

That's actually why Arai's are difficult to buy and price over the internet. They are required to properly fit you and obviously that can only be done in person. The guys who normally show up in Minneapolis/St. Paul are pretty good at this. I bought from them at Road America a few years ago.

You might also try a Scorpion at Full Throttle. They are just down the street from you. They are way cheaper but not as well ventilated (and thus quieter). I believe you can get different size cheek pads, they snap in/out of my EXO 700, to customize the fit somewhat and their shields don't fog. They seal well too. Call me if you want to discuss further.

Dave in Omaha