helmet shield scratches

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
I couldn't find this using the search function but thought I read about this on a board a week or so. Anyway, what product is recommended to remove the scratches from my Shoei tinted face shield? Is the tinting on the surface or all the way through the screen. Years ago, I used a product called jewelers rouge to remove scratches from a windshield. TIA Ian, Iowa

I couldn't find this using the search function but thought I read about this on a board a week or so. Anyway, what product is recommended to remove the scratches from my Shoei tinted face shield? Is the tinting on the surface or all the way through the screen. Years ago, I used a product called jewelers rouge to remove scratches from a windshield. TIA Ian, Iowa

There's actually a product similar to the standard jewelers rouge, but it is used to buff out watch crystals. Lucite watch crystals in particular (does not work on synthetic sapphire or mineral crystals). Use it gently and it will remove the scratches.

Tap Plastics has a scratch remover for plastic. Works on my shields and windshield for the finer scratches. then use Mirror Glaze cleaner then Mirror Glaze polish. You can't believe how clear they will be.

DO NOT polish in circular motions. Ask at the counter of TAP plastics. Is it worth the money rather than merely replacing the face shield? Then take better care while maintaining the the new one? Call it "Lesson Learned". :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought some Novus #2 (fine scratches) and it works pretty well. I've even used it to take some of those fine scratches out of my paint. Got it at Morton's BMW. It's a milkshake consistency liquid - pretty good.

The shield is 5 years old, I'm just cheap. Ian, Iowa

There are seveal coatings available on visors. Some are applied to the outside, meaning if you use any type of fine abrasive polish, you will run the risk of removing them. Some tints can be effectively "rubbed out" this way.

I have the "Spectra Blue" shield and know that I can't polish the face. Not sure what other tinting methods they use, but you can try using a polish on the far side of the visor to see if it effects the tiint.

After 5 years? I think I would just replace the shield.....and I'm cheap too.....lol

KM

The blue tint on my Shoei RF-1000 shields are on the surface. The reason I know this is because I got a few drops of gasoline on the shield (fixing a broken down Harley.....I'm serious) and the coating peeled off.

coating's are typically on the outside -- especially mirrored finish.

Try purple rouge instead of red (it's made for plastics).

Try the least invasive first. Plexus with a lint free cloth, the Microfiber work the best. If that doesn't do it after a few tries, just rachet up a notch with the plastic cleaners et al.