Helmet Speaker Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moosehead

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just got a JM CB and I thought a few pics of the speaker system install might be helpful

Step 1 is to remove the lower styrofoam piece inside the helmet

IMGP0005-2.jpg

then cut a rough hole slightly smaller than the speaker OD using an exacto knife

IMGP0007-1.jpg

you want a snug fit so that the speakers will have a good sound, so I used my die grinder(or dremel tool) to smooth the edges and get the perfect size

IMGP0006-1.jpg

IMGP0009.jpg

Next I cut a hole in the front for the mic, the inside cover fits so nice that it didnt even need to be glued on

IMGP0012-1.jpg

IMGP0014.jpg

IMGP0016.jpg

installed speaker

IMGP0019.jpg

finished inside view

IMGP0026-2.jpg

IMGP0027-1.jpg

The wires are tucked into the liner and there is a slick clamp that holds everything on the outside

IMGP0029-1.jpg

The CB with mp3 player

IMGP0030-1.jpg

and antenna

IMGP0031-1.jpg

I just want to say that everything from JM is top notch, excellent quality and excellent fit. The acoustics of the speakers is fantastic. The range is a good 2 miles clearly. the music interface works perfect and they have a CB mount specific for the FJR that fits perfect. The only drawback is the price about $550 per bike. I had tried a cheaper gmrs system but was completely unsatisfied, so much so that we didnt bother to even use them.

Nice write up Moosehead. I have the J&M System as well with the Garmin interface and cell phone integration. It all works great as you say. Agree that it's pricey, but it works, and if you ever need support, they are great to work with.

Thanks again for the detailed writeup and pics. This will help anyone out there doing the installation.

Smoke

Thanks for the info. I've been pining for one of these for the last year or so, and I appreciate the feedback on it.

A few Q's though: Did you say CB range was only 2 miles? What length of antenna did you get, and do you think more range is possible?

Also, I was also considering a Yamaha trunk. Does the JM mount work with a trunk, or is there a trunk mount available? I was wondering what the options were.

Thanks!

AntSideviewSmall.jpg
AntRearViewSmall.jpg

A length of Aluminum stock from Lowes & a truckstop CB antenna. Couple of longer screws for the Givi mount. Be sure & check the SWR for best distance or lowest ratio. Say 1.1 to 1.5 on the meter.

Thanks for the info. I've been pining for one of these for the last year or so, and I appreciate the feedback on it.
A few Q's though: Did you say CB range was only 2 miles? What length of antenna did you get, and do you think more range is possible?

Also, I was also considering a Yamaha trunk. Does the JM mount work with a trunk, or is there a trunk mount available? I was wondering what the options were.

Thanks!
I can't comment on the milage of the system, but I'm very pleased with it. I purchased the J&M brand antenna (3 footer) and mount which mounts to the license plate frame. I have the Yammie Trunk and there's no interference at all. I checked the SWR and no adjustment was needed. I have nothing bad to say about the system other than cost. Below is a picture of the rear of my bike showing the antenna and trunk.

fjrrearpic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Everyone,
I just got a JM CB and I thought a few pics of the speaker system install might be helpful

Step 1 is to remove the lower styrofoam piece inside the helmet

IMGP0005-2.jpg

then cut a rough hole slightly smaller than the speaker OD using an exacto knife

IMGP0007-1.jpg

you want a snug fit so that the speakers will have a good sound, so I used my die grinder(or dremel tool) to smooth the edges and get the perfect size

IMGP0006-1.jpg

IMGP0009.jpg

Next I cut a hole in the front for the mic, the inside cover fits so nice that it didnt even need to be glued on

IMGP0012-1.jpg

IMGP0014.jpg

IMGP0016.jpg

installed speaker

IMGP0019.jpg

finished inside view

IMGP0026-2.jpg

IMGP0027-1.jpg

The wires are tucked into the liner and there is a slick clamp that holds everything on the outside

IMGP0029-1.jpg

The CB with mp3 player

IMGP0030-1.jpg

and antenna

IMGP0031-1.jpg

I just want to say that everything from JM is top notch, excellent quality and excellent fit. The acoustics of the speakers is fantastic. The range is a good 2 miles clearly. the music interface works perfect and they have a CB mount specific for the FJR that fits perfect. The only drawback is the price about $550 per bike. I had tried a cheaper gmrs system but was completely unsatisfied, so much so that we didnt bother to even use them.
I have had the J&M system installed for about 2 years now. I bought it with the Antenna bracket for the license plate. I modified it for my 03 by bending it to get it to fit and look good. It is the engineer in me. If you want me to send you some pictures let me know. I also have the IPOD hooked up and will buy the ZUMO integrator in the future so I can hook up the blue tooth and satellite radio to it.