Helmet Storage?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianaTom

Reaction score
I was out in the garage the other day and I got my wife's old helmet out. It'd been in it's original cloth bag, inside a cardboard box, on a shelf up high. I noticed a gnawed hole in the box, a gnawed hole in the bag, and much of the foam inside the helmet was cubed like tiny chopped carrots. Apparently someone decided this was fun, and probably carried it off to a new home somewhere. (we have 3 cats, and all 3 should be executed for their crimes against our firm 'anti-rodent policy')

So, this leads me to the question of what do you guys do for off season helmet storage?

And, while we're at it, what do you do with your helmet during the season? I'm not sure we have the closet space for 'on shelf'. I'm pretty sure I don't want to hang it from the D-ring, and I don't want to hang it on a coat rack like a fedora. Leaving it on the floor of the closet or in an out of the way corner is right out!

I'm thinking I need to get some tupperware and a shelf near the bike in the garage. Keep it sealed, maybe with a few desiccant packs during off season, and maybe a few rose peddles during on season.

I don't want those criminal rodents desecrating my new hats. :angry2:

Mine is always stuck back in its helmet bag and hangs on a hook in the garage. I ride all year so it doesn't sit unattended for long. Lorie's on the other hand is hanging from a hook in the basement.

I built this and hung it on the wall in my garage. Sorry for it being blurry, but, you get the gist of what it is.

Top shelf holds helmets. Middle shelf holds gloves. Hooks for jackets, camelbacks, etc.

storage.jpg

Off-season?

I keep mine in the house at night in the winter, as a cold helmet promotes fogging when I put my warm head in it.

I don't know how serious of a problem it is, but fumes in your garage from gasoline and other solvents you may have in there will reduce the life of the foam in your helmet. I keep mine on top of my dresser.

I don't know how serious of a problem it is, but fumes in your garage from gasoline and other solvents you may have in there will reduce the life of the foam in your helmet. I keep mine on top of my dresser.
Good info...was looking for justification to buy a new lid

Are your comments based on opinion or something you read? Would be interested in reading it. I think any fumes in the garage are cancelled from my wife going there to smoke

I leave my helmet precariously perched on the "banana" seat of my dirt bike. There, it is easily toppled onto the floor so I can look like Homer and chase it around on the concrete. DOH! (<--- flashback)

Ok, I hang it on the mirror. Or it's in the bag, in the bag.

My OLD helmets are in the closet top shelf where they can become cozy mouse condos.

hey randy, judging from that line-up of Arai's, you don't need an excuse to buy a new lid!! BTW, aren't those the best helmets you've ever worn?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job Randy. Lorie keeps telling me to do the same. Stuff just hangs off of nails right now. Did you put something on the top shelf for the helmets to fit over (so they don't slide off)?

I like the shelf and hook setup, maybe I can put one like that in the spare bedroom, ooo or laundry room (make my helmet smell like snuggle).

Good info...was looking for justification to buy a new lid

Are your comments based on opinion or something you read? Would be interested in reading it. I think any fumes in the garage are cancelled from my wife going there to smoke
I read it somewhere, but it was a while ago and I can't quote the source. Personally, I would not replace a helmet earlier than planned because of this, but that is just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job Randy. Lorie keeps telling me to do the same. Stuff just hangs off of nails right now. Did you put something on the top shelf for the helmets to fit over (so they don't slide off)?
Thanks. No...never had that problem, but, wouldn't be to tough to put something there. Could probably use a cabinet drawer pull.

All our gear stays inside.... boots, pants, jackets, gloves, helmets, tank bags etc. I took over the hall closet for our gear. The way to win the argument is to point out the Black Widows and Brown Recluses ( and some times the occasional Tarantula ) live outside so we NEED to bring our gear inside. :D

I like the shelf and hook setup, maybe I can put one like that in the spare bedroom, ooo or laundry room (make my helmet smell like snuggle).
Was real easy to make. I used the stuff you buy at Home Depot - particle board with a white veneer on it and used regular shelf brackets to support the shelves.

hey randy, judging from that line-up of Arai's, you don't need an excuse to buy a new lid!! BTW, aren't those the best helmets you've ever worn?
You can never have too many Arai's!!!! Actually, 2 are mine and 1 is the wife's. For mine, I have 1 with speakers installed and 1 without. Absolutely the best helmet I have ever worn and I won't buy anything else. Sure wish they would come out with a flip up. They've done some R&D on it, but, they can't come up with a latch mechanism that retains their high level of structural integrity in the event of a crash.

they are the best, IMHO. nothing fits my head better. 2 problems though: no spots for earplugs or speakers, and the parts are so expensive!! a mirrored shield for mine is $90! that's more than my other helmet!

All my gear is in the house. The gear for the current season is in the utility room that I walk through to get to the garage. My helmet sits on top of the counter gloves inside it. But my wife's helmet is in a padded liner on the top shelf of her closet.