Helmet's and Starcom systems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregory

Great things are afoot
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I am getting ready to purchase a new helmet to go with the recently acquired Starcom system. For those of you with a Starcom and the "open face" mic/speaker set up, what are you using for a helmet and do you like the set up? I am thinking of going with a Nolan N-com 102 flip up chin bar (helps with the glasses)

Thanks all,

Greg

Make sure you have plenty of room behind the chin bar for the mic. I have the Multitec and there is ZERO room for the Starcom boom or standard mic. If, ahem Jeff, Starcom made a wafer boom mic, ahem Jeff, I'd be good with the Shoei/Starcom set up.

I wonder, ahem Jeff, how I could convey my request to Starcom, ahem Jeff. ;)

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's digital all you have to do is think bout what yer gonna say. The newer version then translates that into a digital signal which increases clarity so you can still ride after downing a quart of jim beam.

If it's digital all you have to do is think bout what yer gonna say. The newer version then translates that into a digital signal which increases clarity so you can still ride after downing a quart of jim beam.
And apparently, you have already downed a quart of said material.

The mic set up is not different. I have not tried the Jim Beam approach (I prefer Macallans but never while riding) although I am looking for a way to de-sensitize the Vox beyond what now seems do-able. None of the available mic placements in my Shoei , when combined with the Shoei's venting (I have closed the one on the chin bar and this helps, but does not solve, the problem) prevent the Vox from tripping into intercom mode (muting MP3) at speeds above 50 mph. This, of course, varies with wind conditions and/or windshield adjustment but the basic issue is consistent. It's less of a problem when riding with a pillion (given what seems to be a pretty well documented correlation, supported by anecdotal evidence, between gender and verbal propensity) but when riding solo it is a bit distracting to have the music cut out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe, next time we ride, we'll swap Starcoms. Mine does not do that, so we'll see if it's the unit or the mic.
That is a good idea. Although I am almost certain that the helmet has a lot to do with it your suggested experiment would narrow down the variables.

Latest posts