Help a FNG

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Dandy

Reaction score
HI:

Being an ignorant FNG, what is the 3m clear tape (protection tape) for that is in the saddle bags?

There are multiple pieces, and the dealer seemed clueless as to placement location. I am assuming that Yamaha included these for a reason, and would rather rub these than my paint.

Thanks for the help!

Jimbo :blink:

They're meant to go just over the paint just below where the saddle bags attach. The theory as that you'll miss sometimes when you put bags on and they'll protect the paint. Not critical, but a nice to have.

Page 5 of the sidebag supplement to the owners manual, they "bracket" the cutouts in the plastic where the side bags attach to the bike.

Page 5 of the sidebag supplement to the owners manual, they "bracket" the cutouts in the plastic where the side bags attach to the bike.
Thanks everyone.

I can see you guys will be assisting me alot, sorry and thanks!

-Jimbo

Wow. You got a "sidebag supplement to the owners manual" ? I didn't. Any idea where I might get one? Please don't tell me my dealer. That's a waste of time.

Mine came with the bike, but all it really shows is where the 3M strips go, how to mount the bags, using loctite to install the latches, and cyanoacrylate (krazy glue) to affix the rubber thing that the bottom/front of the bag slides onto.

In about 8 languages.

HI:Being an ignorant FNG, what is the 3m clear tape (protection tape) for that is in the saddle bags?

There are multiple pieces, and the dealer seemed clueless as to placement location. I am assuming that Yamaha included these for a reason, and would rather rub these than my paint.

Thanks for the help!

Jimbo :blink:
If your dealer didn't know what those were for or didn't bother to find out there may be a few other things he missed. Go take a look at the FAQ and Historical section of this forum and read up. My bike is an O5. Under the 03/05 section is a new owners check list. It is probably in the 2nd gen 06/07 section as well. Be sure to read it. and it doesn't hurt to read the whole section. It might save you some pain. It did me. Loose saddle bag locks suk. I would post a link but I suk at that too.

Enjoy the ride

I ordered a 12" by 18" sheet of the stuff(only $30 bucks) as i see a bunch of spots that i'd like to keep from scratching..

-Don