Help needed for Garmin 665 mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWTourist

Reaction score
I'm looking for a way to mount my Zumo 665 to my '13 FJR. I prefer my GPS above my instruments. I have search the forum with little finds. I saw where someone riveted a ram base but that looks like a weak spot. Does any one make a cross bar for the '13?

Any help or suggestion is welcomed.

TIA

TWTourist

If "above the instruments" is the only way you want to go...I'd agree with the shelf. However, I've found the center stem stand just below the instruments and center line to be the optimal place for a GPS. Both for view and more importantly for ease to use while riding. And I find a secondary GPS is great via RAM mount on the left clutch side via threaded hole.

The Ram-bone attaches to the two bolts at the front of the tank. With a long Ram arm it will get a GPS at or above gauge level.

100_4455_zps5dee653b.jpg

ramb201j.jpg

I dunno if N/Line shelves are still available or if they will fit a '13, but I believe this is what you are saying that you want:

HU0I8438-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
N-line dash,

I just checked out his post. (N-line) No mention of Gen III version and the last post was about a year ago If I am correct. I thought Fairlaner did have some interest when he bought his 2013. You may want to PM him.

Dave

edit: Oh yeh, Thanks Allen

Awhile back there was a thread attempting to generate enough interest to have more N-line dash shelves made. 20 was the minimum. I think it got to 12.

The Gen III dash area is completely different from all previous generation FJRs. The current N-Line Dash will not fit the GenIII.

A re-design is unfortunately required, and it's going to be challenging for the fabricator, because there are only four (4) hard mounting points in the dash area, and they are laid out extremely poorly as far as mounting a dash is concerned. Further, the remaining four hard mounting areas are not really load-bearing attachment points.

And the biggest drawback? The forward hard mounting point (under the windscreen) of the Gen I and IIs is no longer present on the GenIII. This is a huge loss... fabricators are going to have to get pretty dang-gone creative here, I think.

If he didn't live clear across the country from me, I would donate my GenIII to garauld for a week or so, and see what kind of magic he can come up with...

My preferences for mounting my Garmin 665 for the best combination of line of sight and operating ease is an offset RAM mount on the clutch reservoir with a three inch RAM arm. My radar detector is mounted the same way on the brake reservoir. I tried mounting with a RAM mount on the steering stem and a few other points on the handlebars but found the reservoirs the best location.

This picture shows the setup with the shorter standard length arms before I went with the middle length arms.

IMAG0357.jpg

The picture was taken with me standing over the bike so it makes it look like I'm looking down. When I'm riding I don't have to look down and my eyes are still close to looking ahead. I also don't need to stretch to reach to operate the 665. it's just above the left grip.

Thank you for all the input. Looks like I might go with the ram bone. Any known issue with it and any of the risers available?