Help! Valve Tick Repair in Michigan

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maximus721

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I purchased a 2005 FJR with 23,400 miles on it a couple of weeks ago. I am aware of the ticking noise issue, the previous owner assured me that the bike didn't have the issue, and all was going well until the weather got hot in Michigan the past week. Now, after a ride and the bike is hot, it is making the noise. From all of the research that I have done, the tapping/ticking noise is consistent with the tick noise in how it sounds, how it occurs, and where it's coming from. It is in the early stages, as in the bike has to be hot and it's not super noisy (yet), but there is definitely something there.

So here is where I need some help. I need to get this bike to a dealer and have it officially diagnosed and repaired before Yamaha stops picking up the tab for this. Has anyone had any experiences recently, good or bad, with dealerships in the metro Detroit area fixing the tick noise? I searched the forum and there were some posts a year or two ago, but it sounded like the service personnel involved at the time have since moved on.

I hope you guys can help me out.

Cheers!

Hi Everyone,
I purchased a 2005 FJR with 23,400 miles on it a couple of weeks ago. I am aware of the ticking noise issue, the previous owner assured me that the bike didn't have the issue, and all was going well until the weather got hot in Michigan the past week. Now, after a ride and the bike is hot, it is making the noise. From all of the research that I have done, the tapping/ticking noise is consistent with the tick noise in how it sounds, how it occurs, and where it's coming from. It is in the early stages, as in the bike has to be hot and it's not super noisy (yet), but there is definitely something there.

So here is where I need some help. I need to get this bike to a dealer and have it officially diagnosed and repaired before Yamaha stops picking up the tab for this. Has anyone had any experiences recently, good or bad, with dealerships in the metro Detroit area fixing the tick noise? I searched the forum and there were some posts a year or two ago, but it sounded like the service personnel involved at the time have since moved on.

I hope you guys can help me out.

Cheers!
Get it diagnosed first. Was told by Service Mgr. that it would be on my dime if anything were wrong as MamaYama was not picking up the tab anymore. Especially if your warranty was up. Had a feeling mine was more a cam chain issue. Had dealer put in TPS under warranty and runs perfect. Mechanic was not there when I picked up bike, so not exactly sure what he did, but it runs smooth and quiet! Nothing on invoice either. With new tire and battery, got out for under $475. This was in SE Wasington