Help with Gen 2 front brake caliper

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHRIS_D

Reaction score
Admin I originally started this question within this thread:Brake Pad replacements thread and I do apologize for double posting this. I should of started it here to begin with.

I was about to install a set of EBC on my Gen 2. I found out after removing the olds pads that I was sent the wrong EBC pads. So when I reinstalled the old pads (it will take a few weeks to get the correct pads :angry2: ) I managed to strip one of the slider pins heads (yes I was being lazy and didn't feel like getting my smaller torque wrench out, it's long story blah blah :dribble: ) Anyway I went to order a new pin (which retails for a whopping $29. :blink: ) and I noticed in the diagram that there's is a clip that "safety" locks this pin in place. None of my front caliber's slider pins have these clips installed and I swear I don't remember every removing them.. Did I some how remove and lose all 4 of these clips? :unsure: Or is this diagram wrong? It's item number 10 or 21. Note: I did check other online Yamaha part stores and they're all using this same diagram for 2007 FJR A model

216154_091223_120956_7325.png

Member Lnewlf stated on the other thread that his 06 FJR didn't have these clips either. Does anyone else have these clips on there GEN 2 bike? The slider pin I have screws into the caliper and I believe it's torque to 20 Nm ( this a guess, I don't have the service manual handy)

Has anyone ever ordered this slider pin before?

The part numbers which the order had already been placed is:

3P6-25924-00-00 - PIN, PAD (On diagram it's item #8 or 19)

3P6-25925-00-00 - CLIP (On diagram it's item #10 or 21)

I now afraid to see what I will be getting! :dribble:

Thanks for your help!

Wow, there are going to be 100 replies, all saying 'no clips on mine'.

Because there are no clips on mine.

Unless, of course, the clips popped off the first time the pins were removed to pull the pads - which would be testament to the fact that they are probably useless.

I have them on my Gen1 and make sure they are there when I check my brake pads. I have extras and replace as needed. I believe they should be in there, I found one of mine missing once, and the pin did start to work its way to one side. How far it would have gone over time, I have no clue.

This is why torque wrenches have no business on anything that doesn't involve gaskets or motor mounts. If you've actually crapped out the caliper threads and not just the rail threads where are ya gonna be? You know when it's tight, stop cranking the wrench. . . .

As for the clips, that's different from the Gen-I, which the rail simply slides in rather than screwing in, and has a cotter pin at each end to retain it. If the pins are missing the rail on a Gen-I will work its way out. If you're not the original owner, maybe a previous owner didn't see the need to reinstall the pins and just left them out. Or similar thinking by a tech if you've had dealer service on the brakes. The cotter pin limits how far the slider rail can come out if it gets loosened, and so should not be omitted.

I can't tell from the fiche and I've not done Gen-II brakes . . . Do the cotter pins fit on a groove or pass through a hole in the rail? On the Gen-1 they pass through the rail, and cannot be forced off just by pulling the rail out. If they just fit in a groove on the Gen-II, then as the rail is unscrewed and gets loose, it may feel like it's just "tight" and need to be pulled with pliers, when actually you're popping the pin out of the groove and who knows how far it flew or where it came to rest..

Last edited by a moderator: