Help with satellite radio

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehaffydr

Reaction score
I am going to add sattelite radio but had a couple of questions

1. does the sattelite radio have /provide its own amplifier or does it have to go thru a radio of some type.

2. any opinion on which service is better XM or Sirus

1. Yes, then no.

2. Choose your service by cost and content. Sirius has Stern. That may or may not influence your decision...

XM is great ,,

I use the roady on a ballmount in the clutch res

with headphones direct in my helmet

wired direct to the powerlet in my tank bag or direct to the battery

for wet weather riding I have a cover I made from an old tank bag cover

10,000 miles no problems

1. does the sattelite radio have /provide its own amplifier
I have the original XM Roady. I added a small battery powered amp and got a much better signal. Boosteroo or Radio Shack knock off or go with a "Mixit" device, along with other improvements to the stand alone Roady unit.

2. any opinion on which service is better XM or Sirus
I'll give Sirius a slight edge, but you really have to check their channel listings and then decide. One thing not related to service, the XM has a 12-volt to 6-volt reducer, which uses a fairly large, clunky plug inserted into your power port, or a work around adapter. The Sirius is good to go with any standard 12V power port, and is just a little more elegant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had XM since before Sirus was out. I love it and don't care for Howard Stern.

I was using a Ski-Fi but needed to use a boost-a-roo with ear plugs in (I run it through a J & M CB unit. I changed to a Pioneer MyFi which I can turn up enough with no amp and also records so I can record and play that back in bad reception areas (Canyons). I can also take it off the bike and use it by it self.

It isn't water proof, I currently keep a baggie handy but plan on making some kind of cover for it.

I'm thinking of getting the Sirius set up but I am concerned about the reception. I can't see why the signal would be as strong as it would be in your car. There are no canyons around here but plenty of trees. Is the signal decent? From want I read here it doesn't sound like the signals any better than a cell phone. Is anyone here real happy with thier Sirius satalite radio?

XM and Sirius have a lot of content that is very close. Their monthly fees are also pretty close. If you're into NFL, the Sirius is it. If you're into MLB then it'll be XM (for the current contract). Stern is on Sirius as is G. Gordon Liddy. As such, ya gotta give Sirius the nudge for letting people speak their minds and allowing the listener to choose by way of the dial instead of the government.

The big difference is that Sirius has a "lifetime subscription" option so you have a single payment that covers the life of that receiver and can be transfered 3 times (for a total of 4 receivers). If a receiver is replaced under warranty they will xfer the subscrition without it docking against your 3 transfers. That can add up to a big savings over the life of 4 receivers.

Stern is on Sirius as is G. Gordon Liddy. As such, ya gotta give Sirius the nudge for letting people speak their minds and allowing the listener to choose by way of the dial instead of the government.

Very good point, Bounce. However, it's sad to see that the FCC is now looking at cable and, in all likelihood, will start clamping down on them. With Stern's move to SatRad, I fear the FCC will be knocking on Celestial Broadcasting's door as well.

I heard the rumor of the FCC looking at Sirius and XM ....... I am not sure if they will be able to even succeed in that battle, but even if they did, it would take longer than Stern's current 5 year deal to do so.

I heard the rumor of the FCC looking at Sirius and XM ....... I am not sure if they will be able to even succeed in that battle, but even if they did, it would take longer than Stern's current 5 year deal to do so.
Good point about keeping informed and active in the fight against government intrusion in the choices adults make. Consider the current effort by the FCC to foce cable TV to unbundle basic cable and offer all channels a la carte. It's another disguised attempt to get their foot in the door and then they can wedge in more controls once they set the predicent.

Write your congresscritters and protest all such efforts by the FCC. They are simply trying to justify their jobs when the real issue should be adults choosing subscription services and using their on/off and dial contols if they don't like certain content.