Here's What FJR Stands For

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Professor

Reaction score
Here are my thoughts.

F (in the first postion) is the letter Yamaha uses for motorcycles with an in-line 4 cylinder, 4 stroke, water cooled, transversely mounted, non-race replica, road going engine. I believe X is for V twin engines, Y for racing and race-replicas, T for off-road or trail... Anyway, I'm confident about this one.

J was chosen for marketing reasons. Note that in some languages, J represents the same sound as Y in Yamaha. Also, the J links this bike to the FJ1200. This is just a theory stated my other people before me.

R is also for marketing reasons. It seperates the FJR from the previously mentioned FJ. It also conjures up words such as road, rally, and racing. Again, this is only my theory.

1300 is the approximate displacement in cubic centimeters of the engine, but you already knew that.

A (in the eighth position) stands for ABS. If it is not an A, then it represents the year. R= 2003, S = 2004, T = 2005, etc.

E (in the ninth position) stands for electric shift.

R, S, T, U (in the next available position) represents the year. When this hits Z, Yamaha has started over with A again for the next year.

C (in the last position) represents the model sold in California.

My bike's code is FJR1300T.

F (in the first postion) is the letter Yamaha uses for motorcycles with an in-line 4 cylinder, 4 stroke, water cooled, transversely mounted, non-race replica, road going engine. I believe X is for V twin engines, Y for racing and race-replicas, T for off-road or trail... Anyway, I'm confident about this one.
Does that mean that the YX600 radian was a race bike or race-replica? I wasn't into motorcycling back then, but I doubt this seriously. Maybe Y stands for the Air-cooled variant of above.

And isn't the M1 a race bike?

Ok, that's enough exceptions to stir debate a little..

The V-4 in the Venture and VMax get an XVZ designation...think that holes the V-Twin theory...

On the FJRAEYY, the YY stands for yo-yo's who waste their time trying to figure out what the FJRAE stand for. :p

F (in the first postion) is the letter Yamaha uses for motorcycles....non-race replica
The FZR wasn't a race replica????

PLEASE!!! SOMEONE MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The REAL story:

Back before the FJR was introduced, the upper tier of Yamaha managers had been discussing the possiblilty of producing a Sport/Touring bike. One of the marketing/reasearch guys, who we will call Scott , to protect his identity , thought the whole idea was no good. He had seen , and riden the other bikes offered by the competition in this catagory, and felt it was a waste of Yamahas time and money to offer such a bike, especialy if they wanted to sell it in the american market.

"Building a true sport bike with the comforts and attributes of a touring bike is just too much of a comprimise" he said, "it just can't be done successfully. Either the bike will not handle as well as a sport bike, or not offer the owner the things a touring rider would want. It would be heavy if outfitted with a large gas tank, saddlebags and a full fairing. The suspension would either be too stiff for touring or too soft for riding hard."

His above comment stemmed from a list of criteria that the design team had offered:

Low Weight

Power

Detachable luggage

Full fairing with taller windscreen

Exceptional Brakes and suspension

Racebike like handling

Comfortable seating for rider and passenger

And the list went on...

There were others in the company that did not share his views of course, and the design team was given the green light to come up with something. At the meeting, the head of the team said directly to Scott , "I really think we can build such a bike , not everything will have to be a broad comprimise"

Scott , not letting go of his stand, simply answered back ,

" You can't have the best of both worlds, either it will be a touring bike, or a -uncomfortable to ride long distances on -sport bike "

" Mr. Scott , I think you are wrong , and in six months , we will prove it.."

"In six months?" Scott repeated , "More like - When flying monkeys shoot out of my ass..."

The head of the design team felt insulted by his words and left the meeting.

Well kids, 6 months later the board was reassembled at the test track looking at the first FJR. Everyone that looked at the specs and road the bike was extremely impressed. Remembering his viewpoint from those many months ago , Scott tried his best to go unnoticed in the crowd. The head of the design team was now answering questions and Scott tried to slip to the back of the crowd. He was seen by the DT head and called to...

" Oh, Mr. Scott..is there any question you have regarding the FJR?"

Scott meekly looked up, but did his best to act nonchalant. But had nothing come to mind. Then quickly her ventured,

" Uh, yes..Why have you called it the F-J-R..??"

The design team head smiled, and answering back loudly so all would hear ,with his thick japanese accent ,

" Thought it would be fitting , and was done just for you ..the F-J-R means ' Flying monkeys Jump outa Rear..."

Knifemaker

:rolf:

Dude!!!!

Thanks for wasting the time to come up with that hilarious and ridiculous response!

After Knife's dissertation, it's all a waste of time...

That was FUNNY!

Since there's no "T" anywhere to be found on my bike's model number

that MUST mean it's not a ticker. :bleh:

Oops... just noticed... "FJR13T" ... UH OH :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator: