HID Ballast Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
I have an inexpensive set of HIDs I bought several months ago, and just started looking at installing them this last weekend. I was very disappointed to find that the ballasts are too large to fit inside the glove box, since I thought I had read about several people putting this same make and model of ballast in there.

Any other suggestions of where I can stash the damn things? I would really like to have the HIDs installed for my ride in about a month, but I don't have days to mess around with getting them installed.

I have read that installing these things isn't that hard, but I have to be honest that looking all the damn wiring makes it appear to be a major PITA.

I have an inexpensive set of HIDs I bought several months ago, and just started looking at installing them this last weekend. I was very disappointed to find that the ballasts are too large to fit inside the glove box, since I thought I had read about several people putting this same make and model of ballast in there.
Any other suggestions of where I can stash the damn things? I would really like to have the HIDs installed for my ride in about a month, but I don't have days to mess around with getting them installed.

I have read that installing these things isn't that hard, but I have to be honest that looking all the damn wiring makes it appear to be a major PITA.
There's room under the headlights. I fit 2 sets of the slim ballasts under there... <link>.

Last edited by a moderator:

Probably not the answer you're looking for but just thought I'd mention it in case you missed this thread. The HID kit Todd is selling is really nice, and the balasts and igniters are small enough to comfortably fit in the apron under the headlights without having to remove the nose of the bike. Also the shortened HV leads are great.

These are not the thin ballast. I might just have to eat the ones I have, and get the better, slim ballast ones. I won't have them in time for my trip but what can you do.

FJR- Remington, the link doesn't work. At least for me it doesn't.

So assuming I just put the cheap ones I have in either the garbage, or maybe one of my cars if they work, the next question is

"What are the absolute best, and easiest HID conversions out there to put in? "

If I am going to do this, I want to do it once and be done with it, and have the best available.

These are not the thin ballast. I might just have to eat the ones I have, and get the better, slim ballast ones. I won't have them in time for my trip but what can you do.
FJR- Remington, the link doesn't work. At least for me it doesn't.

So assuming I just put the cheap ones I have in either the garbage, or maybe one of my cars if they work, the next question is

"What are the absolute best, and easiest HID conversions out there to put in? "

If I am going to do this, I want to do it once and be done with it, and have the best available.
The kit Todd is selling is all plug and play and pretty simple & quick to install.

I did a write up on my experience with it as well as the color temperature bulb comparison.

Clicky

My Hella Micro DE Xenons came with full size ballasts and I managed to fit them out of sight.

On the left sude I have it installed adt and inboard of the glove box. On the right side it is ahead of the air opening, wedged between the frame and the lower cowling.

Photo of the right side can be seen on my webshots folder:

https://rides.webshots.com/photo/2716344120048697046ZalBgK

Part of the problem was that I was under the impression that people had been able to fit BOTH ballasts into the glove box. Now I see that I can put one in there, and then maybe put the other one where bramfrank did.

I had the larger ballasts in my second set of HIDs. I could not fit them anywhere but over the head. Both ballasts didn't hold up. If I were going to do it again, I'd get a THIRD set and stick them in the cowl under the headlights. Having said that, the ballasts may have failed regardless. They were installed a LONG time ago, in fact I had them in the last time I rode with you, Trigger, coming back from WFO. Remember?

Anyway, I'm back to halogens, temporarily. Man, what a set back. But I'm riding two wheels so seldom these days, I'm not in a hurry to flip for another set. If I did, I'd probably try to get a set that BMWHD was selling. He's done the legwork, looks like quality stuff.

Anyway, by the time I get around to changing them out. maybe LED will be the Cat's Ass.

BTW, the first set of HIDs I had held up, but they were those shutter POS types.

HIDs... last 50000 hours, but the ballasts only last about as long as a halogen bulb????? :angry:

There's room for maybe one in the gb, and maybe one in the cowl in front of and under the gb. There's a pretty good sized nook in there.

Or if you're brave, just put them under the T bar, wrapped in some insulation. Not that it worked for me....

Part of the problem was that I was under the impression that people had been able to fit BOTH ballasts into the glove box. Now I see that I can put one in there, and then maybe put the other one where bramfrank did.

Just sent Todd a PM to see how fast I could get a set that he is selling. Like I said, I want to do this mod once, and only once if at all possible.

I have the ballasts for my low beams in the front cowling and the ballasts for the driving lights where the passenger seat used to be under the auxiliary fuel cell. You can extend the length of the wiring to the igniters.

Anyone heard from Todd in the past couple weeks? I was PM'ing him May 4 about a set for my FJR and a set for my Aprilia, and haven't heard from him since.

If you need immediate attention, the slim ballast model in the second column looks similar to what Todd was selling.

I put one of the 55W jobs on the left side and left the right plain halogen, works well for me.

I was able to tuck one large ballast over the left headlight assy after pulling the dash panels near the forks.

Anyone heard from Todd in the past couple weeks? I was PM'ing him May 4 about a set for my FJR and a set for my Aprilia, and haven't heard from him since.

I'm 'here', just been traveling for work with limited net access.

You can use the big ballasts on a Gen II but only one will fit the glove box. I Velcro'd the other to the coolant bottle. The slim ones we sell fit under the headlight housing. Mucho better.

OK, he just PM'd me, and confirmed that his real job has been uber-busy.
[Edit] Or, just read his reply above.

Scroot, I'm goin' for coffee.