HID failing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stryg8r

Reaction score
This morning on the commute to work my low beam HID lumen output was substantially reduced. That and the color was noticeably more yellow. Question for those familiar with HID's. Is this indicative of a bulb, ballast, or igniter failure?

These were purchased in the original Chinese HID buy in 2005. I've wired mine with one dedicated low beam and one dedicated high, with the low beam on constantly. Based on my mileage I'd say its burn time is approximately 800-900 hours.

This morning on the commute to work my low beam HID lumen output was substantially reduced. That and the color was noticeably more yellow. Question for those familiar with HID's. Is this indicative of a bulb, ballast, or igniter failure?
These were purchased in the original Chinese HID buy in 2005. I've wired mine with one dedicated low beam and one dedicated high, with the low beam on constantly. Based on my mileage I'd say its burn time is approximately 800-900 hours.
No idea. Never had a failure and I have mine both on all the time. I'd look over the wiring first to be sure no cruddy connections, but then you have a completely redundant 2nd headlight so troubleshooting should be a breeze. Just swap left and right until the problem moves.

It is likely the bulb. Mine did the exact, same thing about 6 weeks ago.... the left HID bulb gave up the ghost. It had about 57,000 miles on it... no idea of the total # of hours.

I just emailed Andy Chiu and see if he could replace both (because the Headlight Bulb Rule is: when one bulb goes, the other is not far behind. At least, those are The Rules for halogen bulbs). Andy sent me a set of 4300K H4-based "Low Beam Only" HID bulbs for $70, delivered.

When I installed both of them, I was AMAZED (and disappointed) to see how much MORE light these new bulbs afford, compared with the original two (when both were still working). It is painfully obvious that these Chinese bulbs not only have a somewhat abbreviated lifespan compared to true HID bulbs, my anecdotal evidence also suggests their performance (lumen output) does indeed *significantly* degrade over time. <_<

All that having been said.....

I have a line on a new HID source that is an actual, legit vendor here in this continent .... and speaks English as a first language. ;) However, I have not seen any of his products yet. I contacted him and he is quite interested in a honest appraisal.

He is sending me several kits to try out... a H7-based McCullough-style kit, a H9-based "Slim Digital" kit (both the former will be installed in the Busa), a new type of HID Aux Lamp (I am keen to see this), and perhaps most interesting of all, a completely new-style of telescopic High/Low-Beam H4 HID kit that I will try out in the FJR.

Stay tuned. We could be on to something here, or... it could be more of the same Chinese fluff. Won't know until the kits arrive. They are inbound right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also interested...I've read the many pages on HID and am would like to upgrade. I'll stay tuned...

WC, I was planning on purchaing HID soon. Winter project. Would like to know the outcome / Quality of this new supplier as well. I have found places on e-bay that are US suppliers wondering if this is where you found them?

Mike

WC, I was planning on purchaing HID soon. Winter project. Would like to know the outcome / Quality of this new supplier as well. I have found places on e-bay that are US suppliers wondering if this is where you found them?
Mike
I have a Gentleman's NDA on this evaluation, so I can not comment on the source for the moment. If these components prove to be the Cat's Ass (or at least, equivalent to what we have available, but at a better price), believe me, this forum will know about it ASAP.

If they prove to be found wanting, I will tell the vendor what he needs to know to fix things, and he'll go back to his overseas factory to have them re-tool.

I have about 5-6 HID kits to evaluate.... pity I am swamped at work, I am not making the headway I want to with regard to evaluating these.... :glare: I suspect by the end of the month, I'll know more....

It is likely the bulb. Mine did the exact, same thing about 6 weeks ago.... the left HID bulb gave up the ghost. It had about 57,000 miles on it... no idea of the total # of hours.
For what it's worth, here at the Fleet, we use a 60mph average to estimate hours on stuff. This puts your mileage/hours estimate right at 950 hrs-almost perfectly in line with stryg8r's estimate.

For what it's worth, here at the Fleet, we use a 60mph average to estimate hours on stuff. This puts your mileage/hours estimate right at 950 hrs-almost perfectly in line with stryg8r's estimate.
Uh... 60MPH? Is that possible with Warchild :) I'd guess 2/3rd the amount of hours. :)

Latest posts