HID lights or a modulator?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Toad

Reaction score
I was just about to order a headlight modulator when my friend told me he just bought HID's for his bike. I held off until I heard what he thought of them. The next day he laughed and said he thought he'd shorted out the bike because when he turned them on the entire garage light up in a blaze of light.

The install went fine. It was just that the HID's are that bright.

I was thinking of getting the modulator to be more visible to the cagers out there, but now I wonder if going with HID's isn't better.

What's your opinions?

what exactly is it you want to do?
If you want to see better at night the answer is HID.

If you just want to be annoying to other drivers the answer is headlight modulator.
Exactly? Hmmmmm, I want cagers to see me. If not being killed, paralized, or maimed means that I annoy a driver, it'll be hard, but I'll find some way to live with myself.

Okay, I'll put your vote down for modulators.

I have a modulator and HID driving lights - best of both worlds . . .
Doh! Why didn't I think of that? Where did you get yours from?
modulator works well in heavy cross flow traffic had one on my FJR and was a great safety factor-who cares who is annoyed I just want to be seen. nearly every Gold Wing I see around here has one they must be an factory option on them.

I have a modulator on my Shadow. I have seen people about snap their necks doing a double take, where I don't think they would have even noticed without the modulator. I think humans are designed to pick up and notice flashing objects, maybe thats why they always do that peripheral vision test at the eye Dr with the blinking lights around the outside.

And just to be clear...you have a modulator on your stock halogen light bulbs and not on the auxiliary HID driving lights?

It's my understanding HIDs don't like to be cycled and burn out prematurely, and some people might get the impression it's OK to do that.

HIDs are ABSOLUTELY NOT intended to be used as auxiliary daytime driving lights (which is what I think you're considering..?). Using them as such will get attention, but it will be the kind with flashing lights on its roof and a ticket pad in its hands. Nightime riding on deserted roads are what HIDs are intended for.

I'll agree with many others that a headlight modulator is annoying (even to other motorcyclists), but it does get attention and is a relatively quick and easy install. If you're not so electro-mechanically inclined, this is a good option. If on the other hand you are marginally more skilled, you want something that will pull double-duty as both auxiliary daytime driving lights AND additional illumination for night rides, I recommend something like the PIAA 1100X or 910 driving lights, the Hella FF50 (an excellent kit with mirror brackets can be ordered from Forum member Garauld) or MotoLights.

Here's link to an article on the IBA website that is well worth reading regarding choice and placement of auxiliary lighting: Click!

Last edited by a moderator:
HIDs are ABSOLUTELY NOT intended to be used as auxiliary daytime driving lights (which is what I think you're considering..?). Using them as such will get attention, but it will be the kind with flashing lights on its roof and a ticket pad in its hands. Nightime riding on deserted roads are what HIDs are intended for.
I'll agree with many others that a headlight modulator is annoying (even to other motorcyclists), but it does get attention and is a relatively quick and easy install. If you're not so electro-mechanically inclined, this is a good option. If on the other hand you are marginally more skilled, you want something that will pull double-duty as both auxiliary daytime driving lights AND additional illumination for night rides, I recommend something like the PIAA 1100X or 910 driving lights, the Hella FF50 (an excellent kit with mirror brackets can be ordered from Forum member Garauld) or MotoLights.

Here's link to an article on the IBA website that is well worth reading regarding choice and placement of auxiliary lighting: Click!
So using HID for headlights is okay, but having HID driving lights are illegal??? ummmm....

So using HID for headlights is okay, but having HID driving lights are illegal??? ummmm....
No.

Actually running anything that isn't the stock DOT approved lighting is probably illegal in most states and jurisdictions.

I think he's saying auxilliary lamps that don't look like the factory put them there are going to garner far more attention than a PoPo looking inside your reflectors and identify HID capsule vs. a halogen light...and whether they're stock or not.

It just takes one or a few people with blinding and flashing searchlights on the front of their bike to suddenly start a PoPo campaign to rid the streets of them.

Use flamethrowers and modulators responsibly.

And just to be clear...you have a modulator on your stock halogen light bulbs and not on the auxiliary HID driving lights?

It's my understanding HIDs don't like to be cycled and burn out prematurely, and some people might get the impression it's OK to do that.
Correct. I have a Comagination modulator on the stock Halogen H4 bulbs - the daylight sensor is snuggled at the top end of the right side windshield mechanism track . . .

The driving lights are on Garauld's brackets with the left ballast below the grip heater control and the right one between the radiator and the lower cowling . . .

A couple of links to my lights posts:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=106135

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=106453

On the subject of legalities;

1. Modifying your reflectors to accept HID bulbs is not legal in any jurisdiction - the reflector assembly and bulbs are DOT approved as a unit.

2. Driving lights are generally (as in most states) legal as long as they are not higher than the main headlights or closer than 24 inches to the ground . . . which, of course they aren't on my bike.

3. I'm about 1800 miles into a 4000 mile road trip and have passed innumerable LEOs - I am riding with the driving lights on full time and the modulator during the daytime. Not one has even given me a second glance.