HID NIGHTMARE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dritt28

Reaction score
I love hid's, I have them on my Porsche. So I thought I would buy a set for my 2006. I read that you just have to plug and play, so I started to take things apart. I took the panels needed to be taken off for replacing the bulbs. There is no way I'm gonna get ballast and wiring into that tight space. I see there is a nice box under the seat for the ballast, but I don't think the wiring will make it to the front of the bike. Another problem is getting to the wires that the bulbs plug into. So what I need to know is, how much do I need to take apart to make this job a little easier? If anyone has detailed photos, that would really help. It can make things easier to understand. :(

So what I need to know is, how much do I need to take apart to make this job a little easier? If anyone has detailed photos, that would really help. It can make things easier to understand. :(
Start here:

DSC01279.jpg

Any questions?

But seriously, there may not be many pioneers in the '06 arena for this mod. Be sure and take some pics along the way for the next guy. I'll soon be tearing into mine again for the auxiliary lights. I'm planning to stick ballasts to the inside of the fairing panels (with auto trim tape) if they'll fit. Best of luck!

First of all, step away from the wire cutters! DO NOT CUT THE WIRES FEEDING THE HID BULBS! These are high voltage wires, you cannot cut and splice these. Your pretty much stuck with the length between the bulbs and the ballast.

Before you start hacking away, understand that the 2006 FJR doesn't have the same space as the previous years bikes. From what I understand, it is all but impossible to squeeze them into the front end of the bike. Warchild assisted in the installation of a low beam only set into and 06 and reported that he had to install one of the ballast in the glovebox because there was just no space in the front end. I'm sure he will be able to give more insight into this when he logs in next time.

Speaking from experience installing a set in an 05 FJR, I can tell you that you pretty much take the whole front assembly apart. I ended up taking the headlights completely off and working on stuff off the bike. When I was satisfied with how I had things laid out, I then tried to install it on the bike. After some cussing and speaking ill of my FJR's lineage, I managed to stuff everything into the front end. I would say take your time looking at the available space you have in the front end.

Conversions are 'less than ideal', not to mention illegal.

The main problem is that the DS2 bulbs that are rebased for H4 installations such as ours don;t have the plasma at the right point, do the results are less than optimal.

My last ride had a set of Hella Micro DE Xenon driving lights installed, but again we're looking at the short wire from the ballast syndrome.

I am not a fan of what's been called the PHID driving lights (the reflectors are cheap Chinese things, though the bulbs and ballasts are from Phillips) - however what makes that setup nice is that the bulbs are 4th gen, which means that the ballasts can be 10 feet from the bulbs, giving you room under the seat if that's the only place you can find. It also means that you leave the legal DOT lighting installed and can (if you wish) installa headlight modulator - something HIDs can't do.

So essentially, any driving light that allows remote installation of the ballast is a candidate for the FJR if you want to go the driving light route. If you want a conversion, be prepared to lose the high beams and/or brightness and focus.

So what I need to know is, how much do I need to take apart to make this job a little easier? If anyone has detailed photos, that would really help. It can make things easier to understand. :(
The low-high with the shutter is certainly less than optimal as the high beam portion of most of conversion kits do suck.

The '06 is certainly trickier to convert because of the lack of nose space. Warchild did an '06 about six weeks ago and had to sacrifice the glove box area to do it. Documented here.

The main problem is that the DS2 bulbs that are rebased for H4 installations such as ours don;t have the plasma at the right point, do the results are less than optimal...
Less than optimal? For the high-low, yes. For the low only, BS. The low-beam only conversion works VERY well for the reflectors of the FJR. If anything the cut-off is even more precise than a halogen H4 bulb. Plasma focal point is just fine and the results are phenomenal. You just then have to have a set of auxilliary lights for you high beams (like the PHIDs or Hella FF200).

One just has to be careful that they keep the bulb cutoff adjusted for the amount of weight you're carrying in the back.

As for the high-low kits I would concur with you. The shuttered version when switched to high beam is sub-optimal and scatters light all over the place. The thread starter doesn't specify.

Last edited by a moderator:
A clean bike is a gay bike.

I must be Gay then? :blink:

Well your picture does sort of make me think of those guys in Deliverance! Do you play the Banjo? :p :p :p

Jeez, have some modesty and finish this in the closet :lol: :lol: