HID upgrade help please..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck with any of the cheaper HID kits offered on Ebay? Looking to buy two sets of H7's for the Wing. I know some of the Made in China are not very good. If anyone know of a good seller with good service let me know.

Thanks Smitty

I ordered a set of cheapy H7 bulbs from a "US" based source for my CBR, but of course they're still cheapy Chiniese ones. I haven't really run them all that much, so I really can't comment too much. I'll say that they are slightly different hue's of blue though. Not enough to make me ask for a different set, but enough that you can see the difference.

What you might want to look at are the D2S to H7 adapters. Then you can just get regular D2S bulbs instead of rebased bulbs. You'll probably end up with a much higher quality bulb (like actual Philips bulbs) and better ballasts as well. I kind of think this is the route I really should have gone myself.

The lighting on the FJR OUGHT to be excellent - dual H4s with HUGE reflectors OUGHT to be bright, but for some reason they don't seem good enough. I tried PIAA bulbs - they're whiter, but on a dark country road it isn't enough for me.

Part of the problem is likely voltage loss in the 3 feet of wire between the battery and the headlight - you can especially see it by looking at the front marker lights when the modulator is active.

This bike would benefit from a 'headlight harness'. But I have no idea where I could stick it all go on my ride - I already have a pile of wiring and controls on my bike and I still want to install an Audiovox cruise control unit - the problem is that I don't think there's room left for it anywhere convenient.

I left the stock headlights alone - I wanted to keep my headlight modulator for daytime use and in any case the reflector in the FJR isn't designed for HID bulbs, so the result is most often less than optimum, not to mention that conversions aren't legal which can be a problem if your jurisdiction does inspections or some picky police officer is looking for a reason to write you up.

So I installed HID driving lights (Hella Micro DE Xenon) on Garauld's mirror-mount brackets.

The Micro DE Xenons don't throw quite as much light as a reflectorised unit like the HID version of the FF100 because there simply isn't enough room in the fixture - but they DO throw a lot - they make the stock bulbs disappear. And they are small enough to look very cool.

I scored my set on Ebay for an absolutely excellent price - 2/3 the score I made to buy the first set I had installed on my old C10 - those died in the crash - but I remember them fondly (photos of THAT installation available in my webshots album - I will be posting shots of the install on the FJR later this week)

The point? Consider auxiliary lighting as an alternative to a conversion.

Last edited by a moderator: