HIDs Am I the only one?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnuckleHead

Freedom isn't free.
Reaction score
I bought the slim ballast HID system from that guy on eBay about 5000 miles ago and have been pretty happy with them. However, a couple month ago I noticed that once in a while, when I start the bike up one, or rarly both, lights wont come on. Normally, it I turn the bike off and then start it again both will light up. Once, just the other day I had to turn it off twice before the HID came on. Once they come on, they stay on without fail.

Is this happening with anyone else? I can only assume it is something with the ballast so I am just wondering if it is common. Maybe that is what I get for paying $170 for a HID setup?

I checked the wiring and all is secure...ground is run straight to the - battery terminal

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the slim ballast HID system from that guy on eBay about 5000 miles ago and have been pretty happy with them. However, a couple month ago I noticed that once in a while, when I start the bike up one, or rarly both, lights wont come on. Normally, it I turn the bike off and then start it again both will light up. Once, just the other day I had to turn it off twice before the HID came on. Once they come on, they stay on without fail.
Is this happening with anyone else? I can only assume it is something with the ballast so I am just wondering if it is common. Maybe that is what I get for paying $170 for a HID setup?

I checked the wiring and all is secure...ground is run straight to the - battery terminal

Yeah it has happened with mine too. But only on one side or the other.

Did you run your power cable directly to the battery? I think it might happen because the headlight power is switched on right after you start the bike, and that's when battery power is at it's lowest. If there was a second or two delay after starting it might be a good thing.

Yeah it has happened with mine too. But only on one side or the other.
Did you run your power cable directly to the battery? I think it might happen because the headlight power is switched on right after you start the bike, and that's when battery power is at it's lowest. If there was a second or two delay after starting it might be a good thing.

Yeah, the power is straight to the battery. That sounds like a reasonable explanation.

It is normally just one, but maybe twice it has been both at the same time. I can live with it, if that is the way it is...just wondering if I was the only one...guess not.

Thanks

Not identical problem, but I will add, I have HID on my blackbird.

Now that the battery is getting low, upon startup, they won't always light up.

If I increase rpm's to 2000-2500, they light right up. I beleive battery draw might play into this. Might want to get a volt meter and check it out.

Great. I am replacing my lights with 2 Xenon lights next week. I bought them for $99 each here.

Cheap Chinese ballasts do that . . . however they degrade over time and eventually you will need to replace them altogether.

Checp ballasts can be had in the 'low $20' range these days, so high end $150 German devices aren't going to bring much to the table - my lights came with Hella ballasts, so I don;t expect any issues. Ever.