HID's are in

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyman

Reaction score
So i got my HID kit, frame sliders, and helmet locks. all came in today. I went with a slim ballast kit. 6000k at 55w a piece. It's the same kit i had on my 08 gsxr 750. I LOVE the lights, i cannot wait to put them on. I didn't get a high/lo beam kit. It was 50 bucks more, and i figured w/ the 2 bulbs at 6000k, i will have plenty of light output and not need a high beam.

Just thought i'd share.

If anyone is intrested i'll take some shots tomorrow night

And off hand, how hard is it to get the the headlights? I've yet to take any plastics off my bike since i only have 500 miles on it.

Where's that face slap emoticon? :huh:

Let's try it in bullets:

• 55W? Color me skeptical they actually are....or that they're quality built.
  • You could have 500W low beams and the cutoff is going to be such that you're not going to get any downrange punch. I can't imagine riding a continental touring missile capable of 150 miles per hour without high beams at night.
  • The high beam of the hi/lo HID kits generally are suboptimal regardless....so I guess this point is a push.....unless you went auxiliary high beams.
  • 6000K sure looks blingy...my first pair were that color, but you sacrifice photons in the process. 4300K tend to be the most effective.
  • As for hard to get to the lights...if you were just replacing bulbs its easy.
  • But, have you figured out where you're going to place your ballasts and ignitors or were you going to just duct tape 'em on somewhere? Removing the nose and placing them is usually tricky and time consuming for the first-timer....especially on Gen 2 bikes....however you haven't shared what bike you have in your profile.
Otherwise, have fun! :)

i have a 08 fjr. 55w doesn't mess w/ the color. the 6000k is pure white... I loved them on my rocket. I"m sure i'll like em on the fjr. and i got the slim ballasts, so i'm hopeing mounting will be easy. I'm sure i'll have some problems gettin to them.. It's gonna be my first time tearing some of the plastics off.

I will have to disagree with Ignacio on the high beams. The hi's on my DDM kit are great. The DDM kits have the telescoping bulbs where they physically move back a bit. The kits with the halogen hi are worthless. Mine are 5000k and are just a bit blue to get the cages attention, but still bright as shit.

Oh, and they are a PITA to put in...but WELL worth it.

Last edited by a moderator: