Highway Pegs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRRRRRR!

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have bad knees and the reason for the switch to a sport tourer from my sports bike was to be able to straighten up my legs for a more comfortable ride. Has anyone ever installed highway pegs or lowered the rider pegs? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I haven't been able to ride my new baby yet as it is still Winter here. :cold:

5-6 more weeks and I'm free!

Tom

I have the wild bill hwy pegs, use em a lot! (dukes ears stick straight out when I stick my knee's out) Ya gotta remember to kick them up when ride'n twisties as I've heard they have caused a few get offs!

I've got the WB mounts with longer Kuryakin pegs and offset extenders. I do like being able to get one or both legs out there sometimes--any relief helps. An added benefit is when it's hot, getting your legs out there gets them into the much cooler air stream, and that's another and very welcome kind of relief.

BTW, never yet have I scraped the highway pegs in a turn. I'm pretty sure the stock pegs scrape first, though I guess I don't lean as much as some of you maniacs. ;)

This isn't really a pic OF the pegs, but you can see them. Sort of.

YamahFJRb.jpg

I've got the WB mounts with longer Kuryakin pegs and offset extenders. I do like being able to get one or both legs out there sometimes--any relief helps. An added benefit is when it's hot, getting your legs out there gets them into the much cooler air stream, and that's another and very welcome kind of relief.
BTW, never yet have I scraped the highway pegs in a turn. I'm pretty sure the stock pegs scrape first, though I guess I don't lean as much as some of you maniacs. ;)

This isn't really a pic OF the pegs, but you can see them. Sort of.

YamahFJRb.jpg
Sacramento M I want to get some driver pegs with extension. Can you send me info where to buy that set up? Plus are you happy with the type frame sliders you're using?

Thanks in aadvance for any info.

Mick

Sacramento M I want to get some driver pegs with extension. Can you send me info where to buy that set up? Plus are you happy with the type frame sliders you're using?Thanks in aadvance for any info.

Mick
I'm not Sacramento Mike, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and I have the same setup.

The pegs and extensions are from kuryakyn.com. You'll find them in the metric section. The site is a bit clumsy to navigate, so search by the part number.

The pegs are part #8000, ISO pegs small, male mount.

The extensions are part #7996, offset peg mounts.

The plates used to hook them to the bike are Wild Bill's highway peg mounts. You can find info on those at https://www.fjr-tips.org/acc/pegs/pegs.html

100_0048.jpg

100_0049.jpg

Sacramento M I want to get some driver pegs with extension. Can you send me info where to buy that set up? Plus are you happy with the type frame sliders you're using?Thanks in aadvance for any info.

Mick
I'm not Sacramento Mike, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and I have the same setup.

The pegs and extensions are from kuryakyn.com. You'll find them in the metric section. The site is a bit clumsy to navigate, so search by the part number.

The pegs are part #8000, ISO pegs small, male mount.

The extensions are part #7996, offset peg mounts.

The plates used to hook them to the bike are Wild Bill's highway peg mounts. You can find info on those at https://www.fjr-tips.org/acc/pegs/pegs.html
What he said. And I AM Sacramento Mike. But he had better pictures. Fuzzy, but better.

I don't know if I'm happy with the sliders or not. I'll tell you after I test them. But seriously, they're fine. Can't even tell you the brand; I bought them on the Forum--used but unused--and the bike is in the shop for a couple days. Maybe someone will recognize them and post up. I had Motivation sliders on my other '05 and had to cut the fairings to mount them. These are no-cut. By the way, I can't say if I was happy with the Motos or not, since they didn't hold up in the crash. Of course, neither did much of the rest of the bike. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fallride09andpegs017.jpg

This is my setup. They are Wild bill highway peg brackets and OEM FJR passenger footpegs attached to YZF600R brackets. I think they look stock on the bike and work great for changing your leg position. I went with the YZF600R brackets because when they are folded up they are nice and close to the bike and I hope they don't scrape the pavement before the rider pegs do.

Fallride09andpegs017.jpg
This is my setup. They are Wild bill highway peg brackets and OEM FJR passenger footpegs attached to YZF600R brackets. I think they look stock on the bike and work great for changing your leg position. I went with the YZF600R brackets because when they are folded up they are nice and close to the bike and I hope they don't scrape the pavement before the rider pegs do.
I pretty much have the same set-up he does. My pegs are not Wild-Bill pegs, but are from someone else. They use Yamaha passenger pegs, so the first time I forgot to fold them up, the left one folded on its own without crashing me. If you like to lean the bike over, you should be very wary of that Kuryakyn set up. Those things seem to stick out far and look to me like they may drag way early. My bases won't drag before my OEM driver's pegs. The guys with the Kuryakyn set up may have different experiences with what I think.

If I had my feet on the highway pegs, could the pillion use my rider pegs while I'm not using them? This would be a great solution since her knees hurt after a while at the passenger peg angles. Seems like I've seen somewhere a mod for passenger pegs that brings them forward. A member here made passenger floorboards but will this change the angle?

I pretty much have the same set-up he does. My pegs are not Wild-Bill pegs, but are from someone else. They use Yamaha passenger pegs, so the first time I forgot to fold them up, the left one folded on its own without crashing me. If you like to lean the bike over, you should be very wary of that Kuryakyn set up. Those things seem to stick out far and look to me like they may drag way early. My bases won't drag before my OEM driver's pegs. The guys with the Kuryakyn set up may have different experiences with what I think.
Well, the pegs fold, of course, so the only thing you need to worry about are the offsets. If you point those Kuryakyn extenders down, then yeah, they will scrape early and often and they won't give. You can guess how I know that. When they're oriented horizontally to the ground, like Sac Mike and I have them, you'd scrape off lots of stock parts before those hit. In fact, they won't touch pavement unless you've already fallen over anyway.

If I had my feet on the highway pegs, could the pillion use my rider pegs while I'm not using them? This would be a great solution since her knees hurt after a while at the passenger peg angles. Seems like I've seen somewhere a mod for passenger pegs that brings them forward. A member here made passenger floorboards but will this change the angle?
I used to have highway pegs. When I wasn't using them we found that Deb could NOT reach them. Depends on your wife's leg length. Deb's only 5' 5" tall.

I sold my pegs cause I very rarely used them. The times I did I didn't like the way my legs would not stretch out in a straight manner, consequently not giving my legs the relief they needed - they actually started cramping. This was only my experience though.

I did buy Knifemakers passenger floorboards --- Deb loves 'em. And there is a mod for the pillion pegs, only guys I know who have it are the Hycles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone. I have bad knees and the reason for the switch to a sport tourer from my sports bike was to be able to straighten up my legs for a more comfortable ride. Has anyone ever installed highway pegs or lowered the rider pegs? Any feedback would be appreciated.
I haven't been able to ride my new baby yet as it is still Winter here. :cold:

5-6 more weeks and I'm free!

Tom
I made footpegs from 2" diameter black Delrin. One end was machined down to slide into the open end of the sliders. They stick out about 4 1/2" and use a rare earth magnet to hold them in (touches the mounting bolt). Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to make them fold yet. I was try to figure out how to make them telescope out from the sliders, but haven't been able to devote much time to it yet.

I can put them in and take them out while riding - not a great idea, but doable.

I was just admiring these, found on a current thread from TCMike. If I didn't already have both sliders and highway pegs, I'm pretty sure I'd go for these in a heartbeat, especially with the discount code you'll find in the linked thread. Looks like good peg position AND improved frame protection, sacrificing no clearance. By the way, I can hang my leg fairly straight over my pegs--extended as they are--just resting the back of my boot on the rubber part.

My wife uses my pegs sometimes when I have my legs on the highway pegs. The only issue is when I have to get my feet back in a hurry because there's a delay in her getting her feet back where they belong.

I did get a set of THESE passenger peg extenders for the wife. She really likes being able to stretch a little more. The downfall to those are that they will scrape before my pegs do. I ride pretty close to my pegs hitting very often, which means that her pegs grind a lot. I did add an Ohlins shock (with remote preload adjust) to my bike over the winter, so hopefully there'll be less peg scraping now.