Hit-Air AirBag Jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustyrains

Reaction score
Lately I've been thinking more and more about the possibility of crashing. I have crashed twice before, but without life threatening injuries. Once in my late teens, once in my 40's, with broken ribs and clavicles. Now that I am in my mid 50's I am considering upgrading to the best protective gear I can find. Specifically, I am looking at a motorcycle jacket that has air bags that inflate inside of .5 seconds if you part company with the bike. From my research, I see that there are police motorcycle units starting to purchase this gear. Plus, I see that Dainese is working on racing suits that deploy air bags that protect the neck, back and chest in case of an accident on the track. I know that this gear is probably not going to save a person if he or she has a direct impact at speed with a tree or a car, or some other immovable object, but in those cases where you might be catapulted off the bike I think it could make all the difference between an incident you could walk away from and death or very serious internal injury. The particular brand I am considering can be seen at https://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/CTGY/AT. They are not bad looking jackets, IMHO. They are expensive, but not any more so than some other high end protective gear. I think this type of gear is cutting edge safety stuff, maybe like back when people were starting to buy full face helmets. Is this the ultimate protective gear? Or should I be thinking of a Motoport kevlar piece with Quad armor? Anyone out there in FJRforum land ever bought one of these? Opinions?

As you stated it is not the answer for certain types of impacts, but anything that improves a negative situation that you can afford is not a bad thing. :D

It looks to give added protection for certain types of get-offs, from watching the video it adds protection to the ribs and cushions the back fairly well, and looks to give much more stability to the neck. Nothing for the lower body parts, though.

Not criticizing, just noting.

These are quite popular here, as you would expect from a Japanese product like this. Been out for some years now. Looks like the products have been evolving, and look pretty good now. They make jackets, and vests, that I've seen people use with the air bag.

I've not gone in to buy one (yet). But their stuff seems pretty good.

I am concerned that the 1/2 second inflation is not fast enough.
-BD
Their video shows the critical areas are protected in .2 seconds. Also I would think that 1/2 second would beat having nothing...
Yeah, .5 seconds to fully inflate seems a little long. A lot can happen in .5 seconds, depending on the speed you are traveling. But, as noted, better than nothing.

At my age I would probably forget to disconnect when I got off :eek:
I am very certain that I would forget to disconnect once in awhile. I do that with my heated gear all the time. The company does say they have that scenario covered, though. They have made the pull force it takes to fire the cartridge strong enough that you will get yanked on pretty good before you can accidentally activate it. IIRC it is around 35 lbs.

As you stated it is not the answer for certain types of impacts, but anything that improves a negative situation that you can afford is not a bad thing. :D
It looks to give added protection for certain types of get-offs, from watching the video it adds protection to the ribs and cushions the back fairly well, and looks to give much more stability to the neck. Nothing for the lower body parts, though.

Not criticizing, just noting.
Yes, nothing for the lower body. I was thinking of combining the airbag jacket with a set of MotoPort Kevlar pants with full quad armor.

These are quite popular here, as you would expect from a Japanese product like this. Been out for some years now. Looks like the products have been evolving, and look pretty good now. They make jackets, and vests, that I've seen people use with the air bag.
I've not gone in to buy one (yet). But their stuff seems pretty good.
Thanks for that feedback. That seems encouraging that the technology is being well adopted in Japan. If some of the other major gear manufacturers would license the technology and start offering it in the same retail motorcycle shops they already sell in, I believe it would start to catch on in the U.S.

Just get the motoport gear with the quad armor. That has been proven many times by people.
Clicky
No doubt it is probably the best of it's type. I like the idea of MotoPort kevlar pants with quad armour paired with the airbag jacket. I think the airbag jacket technology is a step above even the quad armour as far as protecting the neck and torso from impact, though the airbag jacket does not have the abrasion resistance of kevlar. The ultimate might be a kevlar jacket with airbag tech.

I think the technology is worthwhile. As Colin mentioned that they are popular in Japan, I noticed that the few testimonials linked from the site were both from Japan.

My only concern might be how abrasive resistant the inflated tube is. The part that is under the jacket would of course be more protected, but that tailbone "pillow" and the neck piece seem a bit more exposed. As the piece does not have seperate chambers, if any part of the inflated tube fails, it takes the whole thing with it.

My thinking here is falling on your ass hard enough and at a great enough speed to burn through the tail pad, then have the suit loose air when you start rolling/tumbling..where you would really need it.

Of course one can imagine a host of scenarios in which the jacket might not help, just as easy as coming up with ones where it did wonders.

I think the bottom line here is I really can not see any case in which the jacket would make things worse...so I would have to say it is worth considering. The inflating neck roll is likely in its self worth the investment , as even with a good full face helmet, neck injuries are found in one out of ten cassulties.

I know if I somehow found myself flying throught the air at speed I'd likely wish my entire suit , helmet , gloves, and boots would blow up like the Michelin Man..................

KM

I think the technology is worthwhile. As Colin mentioned that they are popular in Japan, I noticed that the few testimonials linked from the site were both from Japan.
My only concern might be how abrasive resistant the inflated tube is. The part that is under the jacket would of course be more protected, but that tailbone "pillow" and the neck piece seem a bit more exposed. As the piece does not have seperate chambers, if any part of the inflated tube fails, it takes the whole thing with it.

My thinking here is falling on your ass hard enough and at a great enough speed to burn through the tail pad, then have the suit loose air when you start rolling/tumbling..where you would really need it.

Of course one can imagine a host of scenarios in which the jacket might not help, just as easy as coming up with ones where it did wonders.

I think the bottom line here is I really can not see any case in which the jacket would make things worse...so I would have to say it is worth considering. The inflating neck roll is likely in its self worth the investment , as even with a good full face helmet, neck injuries are found in one out of ten cassulties.

I know if I somehow found myself flying throught the air at speed I'd likely wish my entire suit , helmet , gloves, and boots would blow up like the Michelin Man..................

KM
You make some good points. Especially the point about the whole system deflating rapidly if any part of it burns through due to abrasion. However, it should be noted that the jackets also incorporate CE approved armor to protect the shoulders, elbows, and spine, in addition to the airbags. I think one of the things that speaks well for the technology is that Dainese is bringing out a racing suit with airbag tech for next year. And also, the tech is being adopted by police motorcycle units around the world.