HJC and Nolan helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonG

Reaction score
Has anyone tried both the HJC Symax 2 and Nolan N103?

I'm currently using the Symax 2, and want to try the Nolan, but nobody locally has one to try. So I'm curious how close the fit is between the two?

I have the Symax 2 and like it. The dark shade works great with my glasses. Its a little on the noisy side but I wear ear plags so no big deal. When caught in a frog strangler last month I had one drip on the inside of the clear shield which is better than previous ones. I got mine at newenough at a nice discount.

Don't know either specific helmet, but I strongly second the recommendation for newenough.com. Tose folks rock! Their customer service is second to none as far as I'm concerned... :drinks: :cap: :drinks: :bike: :drinks: :thumbsup: :drinks:

Don

I have a Shoei RF-1000, an HJC CL-Max, and recently an N-102 in the same size (SMALL), and they seem to fit my tiny noggin interchangeably with no issues at all. 1000 mile days in any of them. Of them all, the N-102 is my favourite, followed by the Shoei. The CL-Max is a good lid, but I found it a lot noisier than the others on a long ride, and I also think HJC only uses one size of shell for all the helmets, so the small CL-Max is the same external dimensions as a larger size, which makes it physically the largest of the three. The plus is that there's more foam inside to take up the space, so presumably more protection for my brain...

I'm assuming that the Sy-Max is built on the same size criteria as the CL-Max, and also that the N-102/103 are built on the same molds, but no guarantees.

YYMV, and all the usual disclaimers, etc

Griff

Don't know if weight is a factor for you, but the Nolan 103 is on the heavy side and Sy-max II a few ounces better. Here is a link to WebBikeWorld for a list of helmet weights and general head shapes. Click on individual helmets for some pretty good reviews. Helmet weights/reviews

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the pleasure of enjoying both.I enjoyed my HJC but it was a bit noisier than my Nolan.I have been a long time Nolan user and have found they are easy for me to open in winter with heavy gloves.Takes a little practice though.I feel the 103 is really a tad heavy so if weight is an issue look at a Caberg.It is one of the lightest modulars on the market.There are a few Caberg users here in the forum and swear by them.The sun visor on the Nolan is a help but if you are west bound into the sun for an extened period you may need some sunglasses.The Ncom feature is my favorite.It makes for a very pricey helmet but adds a real plus to riding with the blue tooth and is interchangeable to a new Nolan.Works very well with my blue tooth phone.No bulky chatterbox like the HJC.I had a really nasty ride off a mountain road in October.My brain stayed intact but my helmet looked like $#$# afterwards.BMW of OKC does have Nolans in stock and Cycle Gear is close by.Use the reviews on you tube and the other sites mentioned

Last edited by a moderator:
BMW in OKC is dropping the Nolan line...as per my visit last week.

Cycle Gear didn't have any in stock.

Thanks for the info guys.

Not to jack the thread, but how do the modular's stand up in crash tests? I have an Arai and have been a long time HJC fan (Both the arai and HJC full face lids are snell certified)

I've recently been considering a modular, either the Nolan or Symax and just want to be sure they will protect my noggin in the event of a get off..... After some searching on the Interweb and reading tons of articles I would like to know what you all think :)

Thanks

No manufacturer has (to my knowledge) submitted a modular for Snell testing... which probably means they know they wouldn't pass. They are all DOT approved. I'm unaware of any specific data on the crash protection of modular helmets, using either real-world data or controlled testing.

Griff

Here is a link to review

Modular Testing

No manufacturer has (to my knowledge) submitted a modular for Snell testing... which probably means they know they wouldn't pass. They are all DOT approved. I'm unaware of any specific data on the crash protection of modular helmets, using either real-world data or controlled testing.

Griff

I am still not sold on the flips. I think I will keep my regular full helmet. I have heard many stories of the flips opening upon impact. Does anyone have access to an article that dispels the rumors of the flips being less protective?