HJC FS-15 helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlson_mn

Reaction score
Well, it was about time I splurged as my KBC VR-1 helmet is 8 years old. Nothing wrong with it. It was a great helmet, light and pretty quiet, and all the features of the expensive helmets back then. It has just been wearing out, needs a new shield and liner, etc.

HJC's used to be a bit cheap and bland ten years ago. Not anymore. The FS-15 is one damn fine helmet for $133 shipped. Everything about it seems high quality. Fiberglass shell. Super comfortable, no lift at all on the highway. Nice amount of room in front of chin, and I have a long jaw. No exposed inner-shell on the inside, everything has multiple layers and densities of foam liner. There's a good amount of room for the ears so my in-ear phones have no more pressure points, yet there's still a thin foam lining to cut down on noise. Built in neckguard, chinguard, and has a contoured dense foam that rests on the back of your neck. It's lightweight. The vents are very easy to use with gloves and I can feel them when open. Metallic silver paint is perfect, not a single blemish. Extremely wide field of view. All elements of the helmet are detachable for washing. It is even quieter than my VR1 which was compared favorably with $500 helmets in 2004. Visor system looks much less likely to wear causing wind to snap it shut - the small teeth on my VR1 helmet wore over the years to wear it easily was snapped shut by the wind when the windscreen was raised. The HJC has much larger detents that I don't see wearing at all. I can't believe how far HJC has come, it's no doubt in my mind why they are #1 now.

Got mine at Competition Accessories FWIW, very happy with their shipping and handling of the helmet. They threw me in a free t-shirt since I asked for one to boot. I have no connection to them, just like to spread the word when I get good service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an HJC Modular that works well also. The only problem I've had is the front airflow button rattles when closed. Have to tape it shut. :dribble:

I had that problem with my KBC which had a vertical slide and sometimes it would move in the wind after a few years of wearing. This new one has a rotating latch which should solve that problem.

I have an HJC AC-12 which is noisy, but otherwise wonderful. Less than 150 bucks, insides removable for washing, perfect fit. Crash tested, replaced it with an identical since it did so well.

I've got mixed feelings about my FS-10 while I do love the integrated sunshield it's not a particularly comfortable or quiet helmet.

Since my newest helmet is well over 6 years/150,000 miles old, I found myself in the market for a new lid recently. However, in these fiscally austere times for me, I really could not afford a replacement Shoei.

Fortunately, NewEnough.com (now MotorcycleGear.com) had this awesome HJC FS-15 Trophy Ben Spies replica on sale for $129, delivered!

fs-15side.jpg

Awesome Western-theme graphics... HJC has some of the best helmet aesthetics you'll find anywhere:

fs-15top.jpg

I was rather amazed (and pleased!) to learn that this helmet is stunningly quiet, about as quiet as the dead-silent Shoei RF-800's were, back in the day. With all the vent spoilers, I was thinking this helmet was going to be a bit noisy, but happily, it is not! It flows tons of air, comes Pin-Lock ready, and it's a pretty dag-gone light helmet.

Took it out for it's maiden flight last weekend during my Nevada Tour of Honor SaddleSore.... was *really* happy to have the airflow by the time I reached the furnace of Las Vagas.....

RenoValet.jpg

Nice lid there. I'm glad they ditched the integrated sunshield for the FS-15. I prefer glasses and it cuts down on weight / noise.

Matt.. You are going to lose yer face wearing that.. Did ya see that other thread about Modular Helmets? Whole fuk Batman!!!!!

And to think 30 years ago nobody wanted a full face because you couldn't see..

Dude yer putting your face in jeopardy with a flip..

**** the fact that some chose no protection or equally bad the 1/2-3/4 shells the world wore till full faced came along..

I love me HJC FLIP!

Thanks for the support Carlson_MN. I am glad you enjoyed your experience with us. If you have any questions let, please let us know!

As for modular helmets: they have come a long way, even in the last 2-3 years. Granted they will never be 100% the protection of a full face, for obvious reasons, they do a hell of a job protecting ones head and face. We have several guys around here who wear modulars that swear by them. A few years back i wouldn't say they were a great choice, but now, they do work wonders!