HJC Helmet with Sunshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haven't used this specific helmet, but I recently ordered (and am now selling in the Classifieds forum) a Caberg Trip modular helmet that has an internal sunshade like the one in the HJC. I can't speak to the effectiveness of the one in the HJC helmet, but the shade in the Caberg helmet was great. Optically correct, no glare or distortion. If the damned thing fit my head I'd be keeping it.

I have had one for a few months and like it. I think I paid around $200. I replaced a nine year old Shoei RF800 with it, so I have no basis for comparison to other modern helmets. I also haven't used it in hot weather yet. I ordered a Caberg Solo with similar sun visor, but it didn't fit and was returned. The main complaints are the bottom edge of the visor is in your field of vision. It was annoying for about an hour. Since then I have gotten used to it. A related complaint is that the visor could be darker. I find that I don't use the visor unless the sun is bothering me, and enjoy the unfiltered view while riding when I don't really need it. Enter a tunnel or shady spot and just reach up and tap the release; the visor snaps open. If you want to see a negative review, the guy at webbikeworld did not like the FS-10 at all.

Jager... it`s meant to be placed above the line of site. The wife and I have been using the "sunblocker" for years...it just plain works. :clapping:

I need anti-glare, too. Anyone got suggestions?
I use the "Sunblocker". Easy to install and remove and very affective. At $16.00 it's a cheap fix. :good:

You can find it at: https://www.helmetheadcyclegear.com/cgi-bin...=%20Sunblockers

Won't the Sunblocker reduce line of sight? It appears to block an inch of visibility, on the sight.
Jagermeister,

As shuswaper noted, you install just above the line of sight. It shades the eyes when riding into the sun and when the sun is on the horizon, just tilt your helmet forward a bit to block out glare. The Sunblocker is just a tinted (you can easily see through it), "decal like", thin, flexible plastic that adheres to the inside of your face shield. It is easily adjusted or removed and replaced when a new shield is installed, etc. It really does work and I don't ride without it. Give it a shot. You'll be glad you did. :yahoo:

Rob

I need anti-glare, too. Anyone got suggestions?
I use the "Sunblocker". Easy to install and remove and very affective. At $16.00 it's a cheap fix. :good:

You can find it at: https://www.helmetheadcyclegear.com/cgi-bin...=%20Sunblockers

Won't the Sunblocker reduce line of sight? It appears to block an inch of visibility, on the sight.
Jagermeister,

As shuswaper noted, you install just above the line of sight. It shades the eyes when riding into the sun and when the sun is on the horizon, just tilt your helmet forward a bit to block out glare. The Sunblocker is just a tinted (you can easily see through it), "decal like", thin, flexible plastic that adheres to the inside of your face shield. It is easily adjusted or removed and replaced when a new shield is installed, etc. It really does work and I don't ride without it. Give it a shot. You'll be glad you did. :yahoo:

Rob
I have used the following technique for years in the spring and fall when I am commuting directly East and West during sunrise and sunset. I put two thicknesses of black electrical tape to the "lowest part" of my helmet's faceshield and then flip it up to full up position. Now the visor is out in front of you and it is easy to simply tilt your head and keep the sun out of your eyes. The fact that the tape is out in front of you about 4 inches makes the task of getting the right angle a bit easier. Obviously this only works with the windshield in the full up position. In my case I have a CeeBaileys's +4+3 and I get pretty still air back there.

I typically don't like riding with the visor flipped up (If I feel the need for more air, I go faster), so the electrical tape, however innovative, is probably not for me. Besides, I'm looking for a quasi-permanent solution.

Sunblocker ordered.

Thanks for the input!