Hjc Symax

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbyrd

Reaction score
I have an HJC Symax. I get a lot of wind noise with the windshield up or down. Is this because of the modular design? I am about 5'9". I am thinking of buying a regular full face helmet. Would a regular full face create as much wind noise?

Thanks,

Chris

I have serious doubts about the safety of flip-face helmets in general.

1. I'm not saying they aren't out there, but i've not seen a single one that passed SNELL ratings.

2. All that flip mechanism takes up space where foam should be to compress in the event of a fall. Last time I checked I don't thing the flip-mechanism compresses, does it?

3. If the latch on the chin bar breaks in a fall, you're now wearing only a 3/4 helmet. The latches I've seen weren't THAT sturdy.

I won't buy a flip up despite the added convinence. The ONLY advantage I can see is catching a sip of something to drink, which you can do in a regular full face with a straw.

Earplugs are a requirement with any helmet. You have to expect a modular design to be a bit noisier than a solid full face. For me I can find a quiet pocket of air when necessary but the noise is not a problem wearing plugs. I can hear my V1 and GPS and also CB communication is intelligible.

To my knowledge no flip-front helmet has been submitted for Snell testing so saying none has passed is misleading. There is also some question whether Snell ratings are even valid any longer or more valid than DOT testing.

I have owned three HJC Symax and have been quite happy with them including a crash that totalled my '03 FJR. The Symax fits me better than any full face helmet I've tried which, in my mind, adds to its safety. Granted a full face is probably your best and safest bet but I am willing to make the tradeoff particularly knowing how well it held up to hard landing that included smacking my head hard. I did replace that helmet as the lining compressed as it was designed to and became too large.

YMMV and standard disclaimers,

I have a CL-Max which is the other HJC flip-up. It is a lot noisier than my KBC VR-1 full-face. However, it is also more comfortable and more convenient. I wear plugs if I'm planning to ride at highway speeds with either helmet anyway, so it isn't such a big deal.

This was a test of flip ups done a few years ago:

https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessori...ar/fliphelmets/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Symax and an Arai. the hjc is the quiet one when riding my KLR and the Arai is better on the FJR. I wear ear plugs all the time so I think it has as much or more to do with the way the air flows around the bike than the helmet itself. The best I ever had was a 100 dollar THH.

Here is real user feedback on a real world incident. I had a CL-MAX on when I went down on at about 60MPH the highway after a rear wheel lockup (one reason I like the FJR antilock). I fell on my left side and blew my shoulder apart. My face hit next. Thanks to the CL-MAX I am here today. The emergency doctor calimed that if I did not have the full face on I would not have survived. I replaced the helmet with a Symax and have a garage full of helmets I will not wear. The flip up did not release during the accident even though I took it directly on the chin. This is better proof than any lab simulation for my dough.

I've got a CL-MAX and SY-MAX 2, both are loud, but tolerable with earplugs. SY-MAX 2 is maybe 2-3 db quieter than the CL-MAX when wearing earplugs on the FJR. Getting the SY-MAX 2 out in clean air by standing up decreased the wind noise slightly better than the CL-MAX. The modular helmets will always be louder than a similarly constructed full-face helmet, so you have to decide if the added wind noise is worth the convienience.

David

I love my SY-MAX 2.

It is a little noisy above 70 mph; so if I'm going to be at those speeds for an extended time, I wear ear plugs.

Holy resurrected thread Batman!

This thread had been dead for nearly FOUR years before today. Wow. The search Nazis are triumphing!

I have the SYMAX 1 and it is great. It is quieter with the face shield up for some reason. HMMMMMM

If I have the bike windshield up a little, it is very quiet.