Holeshot Header Installation Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessPickles

Making Grand Canyon replicas from air boxes...
Reaction score
I know a few people have installed the Holeshot header with stock cans. What I don't know is how the heck you got the stock cans to fit! I did remove the gasket from the stock mid-pipe before trying to slip it onto the header, but the end of the Holeshot header seems just a tad too big for the stock mid-pipe to slip onto it all the way.

I've already tried using a dremel to clean up the contact areas (there was some gunk on the end of the header because it was used). I used the dremel to grind an angle into the the very end of the header. I've also tried using various lubricants to help them slide together, but the best I've gotten is about half-way mounted (probably good enough that I could tighten down the clamp on the mid-pipe and have no leakes, but the mounting bracket on the stock can is almost an inch away from the mounting point on the bike).

What am I missing here? This was supposed to be a nice easy afternoon project in preparation for my dyno tuning appointment on Thursday :angry2:

I took my stock cans to a muffler shop down the road and had them open up the flange a bit. It didn't take much; about an eigth of an inch and you have to be VERY careful that you don't stretch them too much and split the flange. It's a very snug fit.

I've expanded aircraft engine exhausts with a similar tool. You should not need to heat up the muffler in order to expand it an 1/8", and it should be a pretty easy job. The real concern would be to NOT over expand the muffler.

Hope this helps

Sport

The tailpipe expander from AutoZone was no good. The way it is designed, it will only expand the pipe evenly if the entire tool can be fully inserted into the pipe. It would've just split the very end wide open (the part with slits so that it can be squeezed tight by the clamp) and done nothing to the part that really needs to be expanded.

I'm trying a muffler shop tomorrow. I sure hope that goes smoothly, because I'm running out of time to deal with complications before my dyno tuning appointment :unsure:

Looks like the muffler shop is the way to go.

One shop was quite a jerk. First he said they only do pipe work if it's part of a job they're doing, so he won't do it unless he's doing the full job on my vehicle. I explained that it was for a motorcycle and the best I could do is bring the headers and the mufflers for him to get them to fit together. He said he'd do it for $20 each :angry2:

Shop #2 said, "bring it in; one of my guys will probably do it for some cash". We agreed on $15 total :) .

Everything fits together nicely now, but my streak of bad luck continues: I dropped one of the mufflers and put a nice dent right on the end :angry2: . I sure hope the holeshot header has enough benefit to outweigh this blemish, because I don't think I'd be willing to spend money on a replacement muffler. Maybe someday there will be aftermarket mufflers that I like (I prefer the looks of the stock mufflers over all that are available now).

I'm looking forward to hearing about your dyno tuning results on Thursday. I've often wondered how the "Holeshot header with stock cans" chart would compare to the "stock header with Holeshot cans" chart on the Holeshot website.

I think the dented can might actually produce more torque & HP than an undented one :glare:

I'll start a new thread with charts and stories about my tuning experience. A direct comparison to other dyno charts is most likely invalid, but I think a comparison of the relative shapes of the torque/HP curves would be valid. I also have a modified airbox and am considering drilling through the wall of the rear baffles of the mufflers, so there's potential for some decent gains while retaining the all-stock appearance. Maybe the dented muffler will just lower the expectaions of people that see my bike so that they'll be that much more impressed with its power :)

considering drilling through the wall of the rear baffles of the mufflers, so:)
I haven't ever found drilled mufflers to sound better, while they may be loader, I always thought they sounded bad, and not in a good way. I wouldn't mind a nice set of cans for the right sound, but currently enjoying the look of our stock mufflers.

I would everything like to receive a copy of your mag after the dyno. My bike has PCIII, Holeshot headers, everything else is bone stock.

Except for the nozzle like appendage on the outlet, Staintune muffs look about as close to stock as I think you can get. Also have a nice 'throaty' yet not excessively loud sound.

JMHO.

:jester:

Except for the nozzle like appendage on the outlet, Staintune muffs look about as close to stock as I think you can get. Also have a nice 'throaty' yet not excessively loud sound.
JMHO.

:jester:
After all the crap I get from you, I'm suprised you missed any tail pipe expander jokes. :p

Couldn't resist......carry on.