Holy difference!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malve

Reaction score
20+ years of riding...

7 Motorcycles...

I just bought a tinted visor (dark smoke) for my Arai quantum II and I can't believe how nice it is.

Maybe I'll get cruise control in 2026.

Not recommended after dark.

I like my Oakley M Frames. They fit nicely into the seam in the padding of the RF-1000 (don't even rest on my nose while the helmet is on), and work well when off the bike and walking around. Don't try that with your tinted visor. I might upgrade to a polarized lens if funds become available (as in hitting the lottery).

Also, my Super Visor kicks ass! Especially when riding into a low hanging sun, as it shades an area of the visor itself, creating a glare free slit to peek through. I can safely see to ride right into the oncoming sun. It does kinda limit the visibilty to airplanes though, which can be a problem sometimes. :derisive: Hard to see up, but it's a trade-off I'll take.

toecutter,

You may want to rethink 'upgrading to Polaroid'. Many years ago I found out the hard way when my polaroid sunglasses stopped me from seeing a load of oil spilled at an intersection of new blacktop by an oil tanker with a leaking valve. My FJR 1200 went down in a microsecond the instant I touched my brakes to slow down. My wife had her Yamaha 750 go down right behind me.

Polaroid lens are wonderful if you don't want to see reflections. I now only use non-Polaroids when on the bike.

dobias :glare: B)

My Nolan N102 has a nice flip down tinted visor that works very well.

Just makes a little noise at speed. But comes in handy in the late afternoon - early evening.

toecutter,You may want to rethink 'upgrading to Polaroid'. Many years ago I found out the hard way when my polaroid sunglasses stopped me from seeing a load of oil spilled at an intersection of new blacktop by an oil tanker with a leaking valve. My FJR 1200 went down in a microsecond the instant I touched my brakes to slow down. My wife had her Yamaha 750 go down right behind me.

Polaroid lens are wonderful if you don't want to see reflections. I now only use non-Polaroids when on the bike.

dobias :glare: B)
Those 1200's are known to do that, was fixed on the 13's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another idea I just tried and like very much --

Go to Walmart or auto parts place, and get some 5% or 20% VLT CLING window tint (about $3.00 for the 5" wide role)

Cut a 2" by 12" strip, round the edges -- soap wet the outside of your clear shield, position at the top (will slide around to let you position it)-- smooth on and squeegie out the water.

I put 20% on some, and like the 5% better -- it's just a 'visor' strip, doesn't come off unless you peel it off -- so you have the bottom half clear (easier to see gauges, GPS, radar, etc) Works good in all lighting conditions.

Another cheap trick -- Walmart has auto detailing 'polishing' cloths -- which are very soft thin cotton and 2 layers sewn together (i think about $5 for a roll of 5 or 6 of them.) Cut a slit in the side, and you can stick in your spare/tint shield -- makes a very nice visor bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also purchased a dark smoke visor for my helmet just before I went on a trip and rode the Blue Ridge Parkway. I didn't plan on any riding at night as I knew the visor would be too dark. Everything went great, loved it, until I got to the southern end of the Parkway . There are quite a few tunnels, some have a curve in the middle of them. The first one I went in to scared the crap out of me as I was all of a sudden blind. It seemed like an hour before I got the shield lifted so I could see. From then on when ever I approched a tunnel I made sure the shield was lifted before I entered it.

I also got caught in a thunder storm and the vison was about nil. That being said, I really love it on a nice sunny day. A person just needs to know the limitations.

mac

That being said, I really love it on a nice sunny day. A person just needs to know the limitations.
mac
I agree and intend to leave the clear visor in a sidecase on any day that I may have to ride in the dark or the rain...of course here in San Diego, the rain is rare.

The Schuthbert helmet with integral, internal visor is probably the best of both worlds. I wish I could afford one. Or should I say, if I could test fit one, perhaps I'd choose to afford one.

I have the VPS on my Nolan and it's pretty good. I wish it came down just about a 1/4 to 1/2 more tho'.

The Schuthbert helmet with integral, internal visor is probably the best of both worlds. I wish I could afford one. Or should I say, if I could test fit one, perhaps I'd choose to afford one.
I have the VPS on my Nolan and it's pretty good. I wish it came down just about a 1/4 to 1/2 more tho'.
I have VPS on a Nolan also -- and used some 35% VLT cling window tint on the clear shield about 2/3's the way down -- the tint with the VPS works great. and if you don't like it -- just peal off the cling tint! (cost about $3.00 at auto parts or Wal-mart)

Go to Walmart or auto parts place, and get some 5% or 20% VLT CLING window tint (about $3.00 for the 5" wide role)

Cut a 2" by 12" strip, round the edges -- soap wet the outside of your clear shield, position at the top (will slide around to let you position it)-- smooth on and squeegie out the water.

I put 20% on some, and like the 5% better -- it's just a 'visor' strip, doesn't come off unless you peel it off -- so you have the bottom half clear (easier to see gauges, GPS, radar, etc) Works good in all lighting conditions.

Another cheap trick -- Walmart has auto detailing 'polishing' cloths -- which are very soft thin cotton and 2 layers sewn together (i think about $5 for a roll of 5 or 6 of them.) Cut a slit in the side, and you can stick in your spare/tint shield -- makes a very nice visor bag.
Hey Rick, I guess I wasn't smart enought to think of that. I bought mine from someone that already had

https://www.helmetsunblocker.com/cgi-bin/eS..._Sunblocker.htm

Hey Rick, I guess I wasn't smart enought to think of that. I bought mine from someone that already had

https://www.helmetsunblocker.com/cgi-bin/eS..._Sunblocker.htm
I had this one a while back. It worked great till I opened my visor going about 50mph, all of a sudden the air got under it and blew it away. I recommend getting one that has an adhesive to hold it in place. I have one from another company ( fog city I think) that I have been using for over a year and it works great

That being said, I really love it on a nice sunny day. A person just needs to know the limitations.
mac
I agree and intend to leave the clear visor in a sidecase on any day that I may have to ride in the dark or the rain...of course here in San Diego, the rain is rare.
:unsure: Just a thought. I also own an Arai Quantum II and initially I put a dark smoke lense on it, worked great until one day I drove the bike at night. Not a good experience. Then I went and put a light smoke tint on the Arai and have driven about 12,000 miles with enough protection during the day and enough night vision at night, a nice balance. If you go that route, you may find you won't have to have a dark one on the helmut and carry a clear one for driving at night. Just my .02 cents.

Oops!

I've gotta proof read my posts more often. I was referring to my Gold Wing 1200 (new at the time of the dumping), not the present FJR 1300.

dobias :glare: