Honda Moly 60 Paste no more?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leclairk

Reaction score
Getting ready to grease the spline drive and most places have discontinued the Honda Moly 60. I see a few places on Ebay have it but probably not for long. Amazon.com says it has been replaced with a "Honda Moly M77 assembly paste? Not sure if that would work. Seems like a pretty important part of the bike and i'd rather not screw it up. What have folks move on to or used instead of? I'm sure something the dealer would have?

I bought a single 8oz jar of TS-70 Moly Paste.

It was cheap and will last forever.

Glad I have a new unopened tube in the cabinet. I'm good for another 2 - 3 FJRs at this rate!
rolleyes.gif

--G

I have a small tub of Valvolone Synthetic Moly grease. I have had it since probably 2008, and I use so much of it that they will be able to use the last half of that tub to lube the hinges on my casket.

I use Lubriplate 3000 for general stuff that could benefit from a little moly. I save the the honda moly for a couple specific applications and have a new tube in the wings for when I finally need it...many years from now. No, you can't borrow it. :)

Change the number to make you think your getting a better product and jack up the price. Its called marketing.

Dave

I believe that Honda Moly 60 is actually repackaged Three Bond Moly 60. From their MSDS, Moly 60 is 15 - 20% Moly (Molybdenum disulphide). The Molykote M-77 paste is made by Dow Corning. It is between 50 to 70% Moly.

Either one is overkill for the application. All you are trying to do is keep the splines from rusting. There is no motion in those splines that requires lubrication.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple of tubes of Dupont Krytox XHT-BDX (8 oz tubes) that I use for splines and ring gears on the bikes. I've had really good luck with it... but really don't want to have to buy any more at roughly $365 a tube.
omg2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Use more Moly! Much of it comes out of the Continental Pit which is devouring "The Richest Hill On Earth" here in Butte, America. Moly and copper keep 350 people working making very good wages.

I bought two small tubes of it about 7 years ago....I am maybe 1/3 of the way through the first tube....at this rate I may never open the second (If I can even find it anymore).

I believe that Honda Moly 60 is actually repackaged Three Bond Moly 60. From their MSDS, Moly 60 is 15 - 20% Moly (Molybdenum disulphide). The Molykote M-77 paste is made by Dow Corning. It is between 50 to 70% Moly.
Either one is overkill for the application. All you are trying to do is keep the splines from rusting. There is no motion in those splines that requires lubrication.
Prior to owning a motorcycle I thought grease was grease. Can I use the same grease to lube driveshaft, drive splines, kickstand, etc. etc.? Does it really matter? Also, can I use brake cleaner to clean the old grease out or will that hurt something? Who knew it would be so hard to slap some grease on something
stun.gif

Prior to owning a motorcycle I thought grease was grease. Can I use the same grease to lube driveshaft, drive splines, kickstand, etc. etc.? Does it really matter? Also, can I use brake cleaner to clean the old grease out or will that hurt something? Who knew it would be so hard to slap some grease on something
stun.gif
You tryin' to start a fight? :D

Nah, Moly paste is special. It is a grease with a very high molybdenum disulphide content. It is used very sparingly in areas of extreme high pressure.

A little goes a long, long way

I have a small tub of Valvolone Synthetic Moly grease. I have had it since probably 2008, and I use so much of it that they will be able to use the last half of that tub to lube the hinges on my casket.
Are you sure they'll want to risk your casket lid opening again after they've managed to shut you in it?

Are you sure they'll want to risk your casket lid opening again after they've managed to shut you in it?
Short answer? No. I'd be a mean assed zombie!!