Hood Shade for Garmin 26xx/27xx GPS Units?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallara

Reaction score
Hi, Guys...

I have noticed in several different threads having pics that many have Garmin 26xx/27xx GPS units, and that most have some sort of *hood* or *shade* that helps sun shield it.

I had hell on my BMW with my Magellan in certain lighting conditions, and have been worried about it mounting my Garmin 2730 (which I use in my cage on trips and is spectacular!) on the new '06 FJR.

What brand are these shades some of you have, where did ya' get 'em, and how much do they cost?

BTW, you folks with Garmin 2730's, which have XM Radio and can play MP3's for you guys that didn't know that... Anyway, do you 2730 owners know how you can get wireless audio to your helmet using the 2730?

Thanks!

Dallara

Last edited by a moderator:
065-0405_onGR26H.jpg

I got mine here. Scroll ~halfway down the page... $14.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered one here for my 2730.

Getting sound "wirelessly" not too sure about.

The new 2820 Garmin unit will have bluetooth (wireless).

The jury is still out on what audio will be transmitted though.

Will it be Nav (directions), XM, MP3 all via bluetooth?

My question would be how to add radar as well.

I think my solution will end up being wired comm unit to the helmet.

Garmin 2730

Valentine 1

Ipod (Garmin doesn't hold enough & doesn't do podcast's)

Cell phone

Future upgrade bike2bike or rider/pass

As for the 2730 wireless to your helmet, I think that will be a tough one.

Wired, plenty of options

Anyway, do you 2730 owners know how you can get wireless audio to your helmet using the 2730?
Thanks!

Dallara
The unit does transmit to FM stations wirelessly. It's not bluetooth. You'd need an FM receiver to use this option. I use it in my cage and stereo there.

I made mine with black 4" rubber base bought from the hardware store and velcro. I cut the rubber to the shape I wanted and it works great and looks like it came with the gps.

Ignacio has it dead on the money!

I have briefly experimented with this FM transimitter idea in my cage (with the cage radio turned off) and on my BMW, as well as statically at home. I use a Sangean DT-210-V pocket FM radio ( Sangean DT-210-V Web Page ) in my jacket pocket with my Etymotic ER-6 earbuds plugged into the radio. Works pretty good, but not ideal just yet. I'm working on that. I already had the Sangean, but I plan to experiment a bit with some other small, pocket FM receivers once I have the unit up and running on the FJR. If all else fails I can always go the "wired" route...

Thanks, guys, for the pointer to the Cycoactive shade!!!

Dallara

If anyone wants the shade, I will sell you mine for cheaper than you can order it. I got mine from Cyclegadgets.com also, but it doesn't work with the touratch mount that I use. So its never been used.

If anyone wants the shade, I will sell you mine for cheaper than you can order it. I got mine from Cyclegadgets.com also, but it doesn't work with the touratch mount that I use. So its never been used.
What, you're not clever enough to "snip" a little material so the to slides around the locking arms? ;)

What, you're not clever enough to "snip" a little material so the to slides around the locking arms? ;)
Yea, yea. I asked the same question until I saw madmike's. Works great.

MM2 - Don't confuse him more than he already is. :p :huh: :D

I'm interested, Skooter... that is if you want to maybe sell it to a FNG! :lol:

Just sent you a PM.

Thanks!

Dallara