Horn Wiring Harness Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I bought one of FJRandy's wiring harnesses years back--a good thing as far as I know. At least, I never had a problem with the horn or anything, easy plug-in to the horn. I used it with some aftermarket generic car horns, and later with a pair of PIAA Compact Sport Horns--nice and loud.

But upon hearing the familiar "meep meep" toot of the OEM horns on my new '14, I thought I'd switch with the soon-to-be-sold (I hope) '05. Trouble is, I'd much prefer to just stick the PIAAs on the red bike and end it there. By the way, I don't think FJRandy comes around here anymore. Anybody know different?

So anyway, I'm asking the forum. What about just plugging the PIAAs into the spot for the OEM horns on the Gen III? Anybody know of any problems that are likely to occur? I do mean "likely." Anybody know of any actual problems after-market horns like this (or these specifically) have caused in use?

Not sure about the 14 Mike, but the 15 & 16 only come with one horn. But from what I understand, the PIAA sport horns are a direct plug and play...no other wiring harness needed. Still need to mount mine.

Try this, Mike!

This shows installing a pair of horns using the stock single-horn's oem wiring harness. Lots of folks are doing it this way. Probably just fine, considering how long you are likely to actually continuously hold down the horn button.

The other variation (more robust, a.k.a. over-kill) is to make your own wiring harness with fuse and relay, using the stock horn wiring harness to ground the relay.

Happy installing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very useful video, even if a little gabby. OK, a LOT gabby. But still. It was news to me about having only one horn; I didn't bother looking. Just heard the little peep it made. What Yamaha was thinking, cutting the already-meager horn sound in half, I can only wonder. Maybe in Gen IV they'll have nice loud ones. :lol: Sam, your point about a lot of drain on the circuit makes sense to me. I don't lay on the horn either, and I don't really want to go in and identify and remove the old harness I put in years ago. Guess I'll move forward with the switch.

No need to use relay for the PIAA Sport horns. On my 14ES I just ran the second horn wires off the primary. Mount the second horn on the threaded bolt holding the radiator. Do not over tighten it as it is threaded into soft material.

Mike.... You will know if you get it done right... If you are correct with your wiring, the horn will blow.... If you hook it up backwards it will "suck"...

That is what I am running on my 2014, a pair of PIAA sports horns (not the slim line ones shown in the video) wired directly from the single horn wire with no relay. I made a couple of "jumper wires" to run across, and put the second horn in parallel with the left one. Everything works just as you would expect with no problems. Horns sound nice and loud too. You will have to cob up a little bracket mounting the right side horn since there isn't one there originally.