Hosed!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eeksnake

Not dead, just smell that way
Reaction score
Noticed a couple of my Gen II's radiator hoses were weeping pretty heavily (and not because it was sad.)

I thought I'd cheat Murphy and change 'em out. After placing the order, I receive an email explaining that the hoses are on back-order with MamaYama. I've spent the better part of yesterday & today checking availability with every parts shop and online store I could find. Same story every time... Nope. Nada. Zilch. Back-order with Yamaha. F*ck!!!

So my question is, who bought up all the hoses? More importantly... WHY?! To what devilish purpose do these serve? :blink:

(If you're interested, the hoses in question are 2 & 5 in the fiche here.)

Darn hose conspirators!
mad.gif

I bet if you took them off and went to your local parts store you could match them up easily.

R

]

They probably have an extremely small failure rate so dealers don't stock them.
Good point but that doesn't explain the parts warehouses (BikeBandit, RonAyers, PartShark, PowerSportsParts, etc.) devoid of hoses. I think SacramentoMike is onto something there.

Bah! I've got a rally in a couple of weeks and no time to unravel this mystery. Off to NAPA for something close to OEM.

*Doh! Fairlaner beat me to the punch.

Last edited by a moderator:
They probably have an extremely small failure rate so dealers don't stock them.
Good point but that doesn't explain the parts warehouses (BikeBandit, RonAyers, PartShark, PowerSportsParts, etc.) devoid of hoses. I think SacramentoMike is onto something there.
Sure it does. None of these people are really parts warehouses, except for high turnover stuff like helmets & tires. They still just turn around and order stuff from MamaYama the moment your order rolls in. Bike Bandit in particular can't tell it's ass from a hole in the ground, and I've had them tell me 3 different stories on the same SV-650 clutch lever.

I was quoted "backordered 'til the apocalypse" on some brake parts, yet they still showed up in a couple weeks. It may still be the aftereffects of the shakeups in Japan, I don't know.

Noticed a couple of my Gen II's radiator hoses were weeping pretty heavily (and not because it was sad.)

I thought I'd cheat Murphy and change 'em out. After placing the order, I receive an email explaining that the hoses are on back-order with MamaYama. I've spent the better part of yesterday & today checking availability with every parts shop and online store I could find. Same story every time... Nope. Nada. Zilch. Back-order with Yamaha. F*ck!!!

So my question is, who bought up all the hoses? More importantly... WHY?! To what devilish purpose do these serve? :blink:

(If you're interested, the hoses in question are 2 & 5 in the fiche here.)
Where are the hoses leaking from?

I think most times leaking hoses can be fixed just by tightening the hose clamps.

I have found loose clamps on both the water cooled bikes that I have owned. The clamps may be tight when new but after some time they loosen up.

I think most times leaking hoses can be fixed just by tightening the hose clamps.

+1 Keep It Simple Stupid.

Did you try just tightening the clamps? A few years back I had a weeping hose on my old high mileage FJR. I ordered a replacement and a clamp - I have no idea how long it took to get them, but while waiting for them I tightened the clamp and *presto*, no more leak. It never did leak again and I never replaced that hose with the new one. Still got it around somewhere.

Where are the hoses leaking from?
From the holes made from the hose reinforcement. The "guts" of the hose if you will. The whitish threads in the image below (not the surface that connects to the thermostat which is red in the image.)

nomexhose.jpg

AND

Did you try just tightening the clamps?
Most affirmative fellas. To the point where I risked crushing the thermostat "tube".

No, I'm fairly certain the hose is hosed. Just a matter of time until they fail completely.

As a last resort, have you run across this stuff? Actually seems to work pretty well in most applications, if you can't find a hose in time. (I bought a package of the same stuff in Fry's electronics, if you have one of those where you are.)

rt_frontpage_img.png

Too bad it's a Gen II, I've got some Gen I rad hoses just sitting around feeling unloved, unnecessary and developing dry rot out of disrepair. Even if they did fit, your Gen II would probably reject the Gen I transplants.

Which hoses are leaking?

As a last resort, have you run across this stuff? Actually seems to work pretty well in most applications, if you can't find a hose in time. (I bought a package of the same stuff in Fry's electronics, if you have one of those where you are.)

rt_frontpage_img.png
Actually, I always carry one roll each of rescue, electrical and duct tape Mike. Hoping to not need them on this rally.

Alan - They are hoses 2 & 5 in the fiche here.

Thanks for the tips and advice folks. Heading off to the local shops for alternative replacements. This is just one of the laundry list of things I need to finish before the rally. I REALLY don't want to be fixing things on the bike the night before the rally... Again.

They are hoses 2 & 5 in the fiche here.
You might want to try placing an order anyway. I needed to replace #26 a couple of months ago, got the same story - out of stock, backordered, yadda yadda. Zanotti got it ordered and it showed up in a week.

I REALLY don't want to be fixing things on the bike the night before the rally... Again.
Meh. Quit being a wuss and live a little :p .

LOL Good2Go! Maybe you're right. I shouldn't break from tradition.

Actually, PartShark took my money for the hoses and THEN told me they're on backorder. I figure they'll show up the day I leave. :p

I've got a feeling that most major components are on backorder. I just went through the same thing trying to find a oil pan gasket. On backorder until Sept!

Nobody keeps inventory anymore, it's too expensive to have parts laying around taking up space showing up as a negative balance on the books. It's pretty much the same everywhere. If you need a part you have to get it drop shipped from the manufacturer in my industry at least. Even my company does it and it's a pain in the ass when you're in the field and you need a part...

+1 Keep It Simple Stupid.

Did you try just tightening the clamps? A few years back I had a weeping hose on my old high mileage FJR. I ordered a replacement and a clamp - I have no idea how long it took to get them, but while waiting for them I tightened the clamp and *presto*, no more leak. It never did leak again and I never replaced that hose with the new one. Still got it around somewhere.
+1, I check the clamps 1x year when I flush my coolant.