Hot deal on Craftsman torque wrench

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...ecemldffidflk.0

Friday and Saturday sale.

I have one of these. A good basic wrench for lower torque values.

25 to 250 inch lbs. = 2.08 to 20.83 ft. lbs.

Too bad not available in Canada
I have many, many sets of really great Craftsman hand tools and rely on them every day on the job, but a lot of their torque wrenches are seldom made in the USA anymore and I've tested some to be unacceptably inaccurate. That doesn't mean this particular one will be, and you can always take it back if it doesn't suit you.

Even Snap-on says you need to send their Torque Wrenches off to have them re-calibrated occasionally. I don't think Sears even offers that service. I sent one back for repair a while back and they sent it back to me exactly like it was. :angry2: Dollar for dollar, I guess basic Craftsman hand tools are probably still the best buy considering all other things, lifetime warranty, ease of replacement, etc.. Even K-Mart handles many of them now.

Roger

Last edited by a moderator:

I have many, many sets of really great Craftsman hand tools and rely on them every day on the job, but a lot of their torque wrenches are seldom made in the USA anymore and I've tested some to be unacceptably inaccurate. That doesn't mean this particular one will be, and you can always take it back if it doesn't suit you.

Even Snap-on says you need to send their Torque Wrenches off to have them re-calibrated occasionally. I don't think Sears even offers that service. I sent one back for repair a while back and they sent it back to me exactly like it was. :angry2: Dollar for dollar, I guess basic Craftsman hand tools are probably still the best buy considering all other things, lifetime warranty, ease of replacement, etc.. Even K-Mart handles many of them now.

Roger
If ever you want to send them to me for calibration that's what we are doing for living ! :)

But we are located in Montreal !

Primo Instrument

Thanks Constant Mesh - read this thread and started the process of locating one. The sales dude at Sears said he had two in stock, their going fast and he would have the shipping dept. dude take one back to hold if I would buy off the internet site. Sears website wouldn't allow me to register as a new member so I called customer service. She says they are having problems with the website and they are sold out of them and could not call my local store. Then, I call a friend of mine who says he will go to the store to pick one up for me (I'm an hour and a half away). He gets there and there's one on the shelf (the other is probably in shipping dept.) and finds five more on a table. He gets in line and is told that the sale ended at 11AM (Friday) it's 11:05 and this will be the last one sold for that price. We meet for lunch and I trade him $40 for the torque wrench. All's good until I get back home and now read:

... tested some to be unacceptably inaccurate. That doesn't mean this particular one will be, and you can always take it back if it doesn't suit you.
;) at least it says Craftsman [insert Tim Allen's ooh, ooh, ooh] and "Made in the USA". Salesman tells my friend that Sears only warranties their Craftsman torque wrenches for one year. That's the first I've heard of Craftsman tools not having a lifetime warrantee and hear the sound of metal cracking in the far distance. :lol:

Bought one yesterday online at 50% off at the SEARS online website, to pick up at the store today. It will be a Christmas gift to a buddy (his broke while I was borrowing it -- and no I didn't break it! I think.) And I bought the 10-75 torque wrench (on sale for $60) for me. I figure that way I can borrow his again if I need it and vice versa. And another X-MAS gift crossed off the list.........

Roger

Listed as 4% error at 20% of minimum torque. Assuming some error among a batch, is that considered acceptable for work on applications like the FJR? I assume it is...... But you know what Benny Hill would say about that.