Hot Grips question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimhargrave

Reaction score
Hi Folks!

I'm getting ready for winter right now instead of waiting and I'm looking at installing the Hot Grips on a '07 FJR1300A model.

Here is what it says in the installation instructions.

<<<You should use a 4 amp fuse (not included). (The grips draw 3 amps on high).

Wire into an accessory terminal if available or into a power lead that will not be

left "hot" or energized when the ignition is shut off. Otherwise leaving the heated

grips on while the engine is off will drain the battery as quickly as if you left your

headlight on.>>>

Has anyone successfully done this install on an '07A that can tell me where to find an accessory terminal or a power lead that will not be

left "hot" or energized when the ignition is shut off?

The rest of the instructions are pretty easy but I don't want to cut the wrong wire or do this the "hard way" if

there is an access point available.

Thanks in advance,

Jimbo in Nashville, TN.

You need to install a relay. Output +12V from the battery to the heater controller. I used the 'headlight on' wire to trip this relay. (many options and opinions are available) I think it is the white /green wire in the front cowling harness connector inside the right fairing in front of and below the battery. This is given with a 'disclaimer' and you should consult the manual and proceed with care as this is from memory.

Checked the manual and it is the G/L (green/blue) wire in coupler 50 and is used to power the grip controller on an AE. Again, this is what I used, and many do not feel comfortable using an ECM signal to trip a second relay.