How do you like your Scorpion helmet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRME

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new lid and noticed socalmike's Scorpion. All Scorpion owners respond please.

Noisy?

Helmet lift at high speed?

Thanks for your responses.

I'm looking for a new lid and noticed socalmike's Scorpion. All Scorpion owners respond please.
There was an earlier thread about the Scorpion but to answer your question, the fit and noise level is very similar to a Shoei 700/800. I have the 700 model but there is very little difference between the 700 and 400 and I will probably buy the 400 next time. I rode about 16,000 miles in my Scorpion this summer and don't have any complaints. If you mail order one, they are about one size undersized compared to a Shoei.

Yeah, do a search and you will find more.

I have an EXO-700, and compared to the Shoei X11 I was going to buy, it is so damn near the fit and finish, but so far away in price. To me, the major difference is the Shoei is made in Japan, the Scorpion was made in China.

It is a little noisy, but I guess it depends on your windshield size and riding position and what helmet you are used to. I live in South Florida, and while I sweat, my head is comfortable. The shield system works well, although one of my shields broke around the pivot point, which Scorpion replaced for free.

It does not lift at speed. In fact, the only time I feel it is when I turn sideways and then get a little backwards pressure.

I don't have any pinch points, and I just installed an Autocomm headset easily and without any problems.

Overall, I am quite happy with it and would recommend it. I would stick with the 700, as I don't think the 400 has removable cheek pads although I am working off memory.

-BD

Hey,

I too have a Scorp. 400, like it alot. Much more quiet than my HJC symax flipup. The shields change easy and they have an acces. aero skirt that blocks off some of the wind/ noise. Best price I found was at www.motorcyclesuperstore.com @ $130. I think their web site has a dealer locator.

Bill

Have the EXO 700 and nothing other than high praise for the helmet. Overall, good value and very nice fit and finish. The Blue, while not a dead color match, is close enough for an '05 fella.

For NorCal, Cycle Parts in Carmichael carries them (7619 Fair Oaks Blvd, Carmichael, CA 95608-1703 (916) 944-1229). I bought an EXO-700 and love it. Great venting, no fogging and relatively quiet (about the same noise as my Shoei RF900). Mine fits so snug, there's no way it can lift or move around at all. Changing the shields is also very easy. Great helmet and the price is awesome.

I own a Scorpion EXO 400. I also own a KBC VR-1 and a Shoei RF900. The EXO is the least expensive helmet, but has the nicest features and best fit/finish.

The Scorpion fits well, the vents work and the finish is very good. The lining is fully removable for easy hand washing, and yes, the anti-fog treatment on the inside of the visor works just as designed. Neither the Shoei RF900 or KBC have fully removable liners or anti-fog shields.....

I wear "noise attenuation devices" (read: ear plugs) 90% of the time, so excessive wind noise is not a major concern of mine, though I would say the Scorpion is a bit noisier than my KBC and Shoei.

I attribute the extra noise to the design of the faceshield attachments. On the Shoei and KBC, the faceshield is flush with the side of the helmet, the shield has no mounting holes. The Scorpion's faceshield has round openings that lock onto the quick-release mounts on the side of the helmet. It's a solid design, but I believe it adds to the wind noise.

My EXO 400 is very stable at speed. I have a Rifle windscreen, with tuning block. With the shield in the lowest position and at speeds up to 120 mph, I've experienced no helmet buffeting, even when turning my head side-to-side. I'm 5' 8" tall, if that helps at all. Also, the faceshield has never "lifted" open at speed (something an HJC I once owned did regularly).

I always recommend trying helmets on before buying. Spend some time in the store, wear the helmet for a bit. The dealer I purchased the EXO 400 from offered me 10% off (I've spent a good bit of cabbage there this past year) and that put the price within $10 of the best price I could find on the Internet.

The only thing about the helmet I don't like is the limited amount of "open positions" for the shield. The lowest position is about 1/2" too open and allows a bit too much wind to reach my eyes. Not a deal-breaker though, that's what the windshield is for.......

Ride Safe!

Thanks for the responses. I will probably get a 700. My local dealer carries them and is 10 bucks cheaper than the least I found on the net. I'll spend my money there. I did search but found only a couple references to Scorpion in particular, and nothing looking like the review you guys gave. Thanks again.

A little late chiming in, but I received my 2 Scorpion helmets last week. I am just getting back into riding - am picking up my bike next week in fact.

The only comparison I can give you is to the Shoei I had 17-18 years ago, with my last bike. I don't rememeber the model, but I know I paid $250 for it, at a retail dealer.

The Scorpions ( I got one Exo 700 and one Exo 400) absolutely blow away the old Shoei. Can't comment any new models, but the workmanship, liner, the fit of the shields - everything is first rate. I am incredibly impressed, especially considering the price, which in the case of the Exo-400 was less than HALF that of the Shoei.

I found very good web prices ~ 20% off List - PM me for details if you like.

They do run about a size small, at least for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont forget to get the "Non-Fogging" lenses, some lenses have it and some don't. If you get the fogless lenses it will be the best investment riding through rain or cold mornings. One tip, Don't use automotive wax to clean it, just use mild soap and water!

I just bought an EXO-700 Geronimo. My SYMAX is going into the back of the closet. I cannot believe how much more lighter, quieter, turnable, and aerodynamic that Scorpion helmet is!! NICE!

The bad news is that I bought a close out from my local stealer. Why is it bad news? Well, I just found out that I could have saved another $25 by ordering one from Gary McCoy at University Motors. Heck, I may just get a second one because they are SO CHEAP!

Having said that, I wonder if a Shoei RF-1000 is quieter and worth 2 to 3 times the money? Anyone?

I have and EXO700 and a EXO400 (too match my other bike) and really like it. I use to have a Shoei RF900. I think Scorpion is just as good as Quality goes. The 700 has beter venting than the 400. I live in the Central Valley of California, so I ride in 100 F. temps a lot. I haven't had the 400 long enough to know how it is in the heat. The 700 is kevlar/fiberglass. The 400 is polycarb. In the MC Consumer news tests the 400 transmittedd less Gs to the head than the 700. You get wind noise from both, but not anymore than my previous Shoeis.

I have been a hard core Shoei customer for 25 years. Now I am a Scorpion Customer. Whats that tell you?

Oh forgot to tell you where to buy. My first Scorpion I got thru Helmet Harbor. The EXO 400 was purchased at Stockton Honda Yamaha. They gave me a killer price on the 400.............less than helmet harbor.

Does Helmet Harbor sell the Scorpion EXO-700 under $150 SHIPPED? Doubt it. Gary McCoy is da man.

Thanks for the feedback, Maddawg!

The april edition of rider magazine has a helmet buyers guide...

They rated 1-5, 1 being best, 5 being worst...

Scorpion exo700: $179

Vent:2

Shield changing: 1

Noise Control:2

Weight:3.66lbs

Arai Quantum: $349

Vent:2

Shield changing: 3

Noise Control:3

Weight:3.38lbs

They reviewed a few others in all price ranges...

The top helmet was..

Schuberth s1: $699 for solids

It got a 1 in all categories.. but was heavy at 3.96lbs

I personally have 2 exo 400's and the wife and I love it. Much better than my old HJC. The only problem I have is 1) the nose guard pops off easily.

2) she washed the shields off w/ a wetwipe and now the anti fog no longer works =/ :dribble:

Edit:

Sorry wrote the rating system wrong =)

I corrected it above =) heehhe :bigeyes:

As to lift,

I never noticed any problems with the helmet. Also noticed the pads come out easier than in the vega I had, so wiring up the in helmet home stereo was easy =0)

Here's a goofy tip for you as well.

I never figured out a good place to keep my registration and such. I put it in a ziplock baggie inside a ziplock baggie. I then put that under the pads in my helmet =0) I know I won't be riding w/o it, so I always have it with me. ( I also keep $10 in there in case I need emergency $$ for gas etc )

EXO 700 here.

It is a great helmet, I never felt any push forward from wind drift with this helmet. It has very good aerodynamic penetration (it is quiter when the wind hits it square on than when the bike's wind screen is up). The liner can be machine washed without problems (I have two liners to alternate them every couple of weeks). Scorpion also sell a wind blocker for the chin tha comes very handy during cold weather (I take it off in summer). The dark smoke and the clear shields are coated with anti-fog and it really works great.

During the AZ summer time (120ºF on the shade) it is actually cooler inside the helmet than outside, apparently the perspiration, combined with the air turbulences inside the helmet create a refreshing cooling effect.

The only caveat I found is that somtimes I get a drift of air inside the helmet that ends up stright into my eyes. After a while it dries my eyes out and it gets unconfortable. I found that if I lower the bike's screen down a bit, it changes the angle in which the air hits the helmet, therefore the turbulence inside the helmet changes and no longer points to my eyes.

I would definetly recommend this helmet to anyone. Big bang for the buck.

I'm happy with my EXO 700. Removable liner and anti-fog shield are the two best features, and the price. Highly recommended.