How do you Pump Tires?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donkey rider

Reaction score
Hi all, it's me again :)

This time with a really funny question: how do you, guys, pump tires on your FJRs? Every time I have to pump them, it's a real pain in the butt... or, rather, in the hands: it's INSANELY difficult to reach the stem, let alone attach the pump to them, especially on the front wheel. The brake disks on both sides make it difficult even with my thin hands/arms, so I can't imagine what it's like to someone with the bigger arms.

Do you use some special pump attachments that make it easier to reach the stem?

Please share your experiences!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hand pump with 90 degree valve attachment connector; not that big a deal for me.

Replace the stock valve stems with some cool metal 90 degree stems. Makes getting an air chuck on the stems easy-peasy. A forum member, Jeff, at BikeEffects.com sells them. He's a good guy with a proven rep here on the board.

While searching for something to make the pumping (and pressure checking) easier, I've found the CO2 tire inflators. Did anybody use them? Is it worth to try?

While searching for something to make the pumping (and pressure checking) easier, I've found the CO2 tire inflators. Did anybody use them? Is it worth to try?
It takes several CO2's to inflate a tire. Some use them, but I use a cheap C/H pump from Walmart, removed from it's plastic (will then fit in a ziplock bag under the seat), with an added plug on the bike when on the road. Compressor when at home.

I've used an AccuGauge for years.

Clickable pixs:

Clip the chuck on the air stem and your compressor chuck goes on up by the gauge. There is also a pressure bleed button if you need to deflate. With 90º valve stems it's perfect.

When on the road many people use a Slime pump.

It is a little difficult to get to the valve on the front wheel. I guess I've gotten used to it. Thought about putting the 90 degree stems on at a tire change and I always forget. That would be a better way to go. I do have them on my Vmax. I use a semi small Craftsman pump I bought at Sears. It's a 120 volt plug in unit I use here at the house and I have the small one I bought at Wal mart to plug into the bike on trips. Both aren't real easy to hook up, but like I said, I've gotten used to it and it's not so bad now.

GP

I have one of those WalMart cheapie compressors wired into the bike. Removed the guts of the compressor from the plastic case it came in, and that stuff fits under the rear seat back by the taillights.

I've used an AccuGauge for years.
Clickable pixs:

Clip the chuck on the air stem and your compressor chuck goes on up by the gauge. There is also a pressure bleed button if you need to deflate. With 90º valve stems it's perfect.
Awesome! I do use the Slime pump, and it's the major pain to connect it, so this thing does seem to solve that issue (I hope - judging by the lever on AccuGauge it seems a lot easier to put onto the stem than the Slime's native one).

Thank you!

I originally got the tire gauge for my car; at the track I was constantly adjusting tire pressure as the day progressed. There was a short learning curve to get it to work on my bikes. I've got the technique down now on the FJR front tire, I run the hose down through an opening in the brake rotor which makes a straight shot down onto the stem. I'm able to get my thumb and finger to do a quick pinch to lock the gauge chuck onto the fill stem. YMMV. I do recommend running the gauge's hose through the rotor for a straight connection

I replaced my valve stems with short metal straight ones. I thought they would make it easier to get to then the stock ones, but they are actually about the same. So, I just get my fingers dirty while working an air chuck or hose from a pump in there. There is plenty of room for a flexible hose, the problem is getting my fat fingers in there to attach it.

FWIW, my brother gave me one of the patch kits that comes with a CO2 inflator. I carry it with me but have never used it.