How high are aftermarket windshields in the lowest position?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potential

Reaction score
Nearly all aftermarket windshields are larger than stock for better wind protection, but when I'm not on the highway I like the windshield to be as low as possible. I am wondering what the apparent height of aftermarket windshields is when in the lowest position.

For example, the Rifle comes in a size just 1" larger than stock (and you can get a custom length) but from photos it looks like the angle of the screen in the lowest position is less raked than stock, meaning it would actually be more than 1" higher when comparing the two in the lowest position. Is this true?

Depends on the windscreen.

An extremely popular model among the FJR community is the Cee Bailey's windscreen, and they offer them in specific sizes, so you know exactly how much taller than stock they are.

My "winter" windscreen is a +2/+3 Cee Baileys... 2" higher than stock, 3" wider. It is a little more important to consider the width protection, than the height position, because you can always raise the screen electrically to gain more weather protection height-wise... but your width "protection" is more fixed.

A couple of years ago I bought a -2" shield from Cee Bailey. Then I bought another that was -3". Then I cut that one down another inch. I really like it now.

For example, the Rifle comes in a size just 1" larger than stock (and you can get a custom length) but from photos it looks like the angle of the screen in the lowest position is less raked than stock, meaning it would actually be more than 1" higher when comparing the two in the lowest position. Is this true?

No.

If the aftermarket shield is 2 inches taller than the stock one, it will be approximately 2 inches taller than the stock one when it is all the way up and about 2 inches taller than the stock one when it is all the way down.

The size of the screen does not alter the angle of the windshield mechinism. when it goes up or down. There may be a small difference in measured height in the lowest position due only to the fact that the stock shield has a bit of a curve front to back , and many aftermarket shields are fairly straight front to back. But a shield that is 2 inches taller than stock should not be larger than 2 inches when it is lowered.

KM

Last edited by a moderator:
But a shield that is 2 inches taller than stock should not be larger than 2 inches when it is lowered.
That's not true for the Rifle because it uses its own custom brackets that change the angle of the windshield. So a Rifle shield that's exactly stock length would be a different actual height in both the raised and lowered positions. Well I've now ordered one anyway so I'll post here when I get it (should be next week) with my impressions.

That's not true for the Rifle because it uses its own custom brackets that change the angle of the windshield. So a Rifle shield that's exactly stock length would be a different actual height in both the raised and lowered positions. Well I've now ordered one anyway so I'll post here when I get it (should be next week) with my impressions.

Correct. if you alter the angle the shield sits at you can get different figures. But I am unfamilar with the How the Rifle alters this. If you move the angle more to the back (more rake to the rear) When the shield is "up" would it not also be comparitively angled back more too?

Also, see photos in this post:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=112182

I know the Gen I folks talk about stand-off spacers but I was unware they were even needed for the Gen II bikes.

So , take alot of photos with a ruler when you get your Rifle.

KM

No empirical data, apologies.

I run a Rifle something-or-the-other with tuning blocks.

I don't have numbers, as mine was a proto-type for the prod models.

I think you will like this part..

My Rifle, at lowest position, allows full frontal lift on the chest and jacket air-conditioning.

At up most position, my line of sight is only .25 to .50 inches above shield level.

Obviously, rider needs/wants/desires are all different. I live in HOT summer and COLD winter land and don't want to change shields. This one works great for both.

Lookie here..

Nearly all aftermarket windshields are larger than stock for better wind protection, but when I'm not on the highway I like the windshield to be as low as possible. I am wondering what the apparent height of aftermarket windshields is when in the lowest position.
I just put on a Vstream tonight... it's about 4 inches higher than stock... have yet to ride it.. the stock one was just to short for me... too much buffering..

Hamie

Update: I got a +1" high +4" wide Rifle windshield but I decided to return it immediately after trying it on the highway, because there's wind noise even with it fully up with me looking through the windshield, whereas the stock windshield blocks all wind if it's high enough, and I'm low enough, that I'm looking through it. The culprit is the increased gap underneath the windshield caused by the Rifle's angle brackets. Also there was noticeable backpressure, ironically, but it's possible this was because the shield is higher. (It seemed to be several inches higher in the up position, but I didn't measure it.)

So back it goes. I've now ordered a +2" +0" Cee Bailey following the standard contour. The stock shield is perfect for me aside from being a bit too short when fully up to completely block the wind, and of course its optical distortion is bad, so that's why I now think a Cee Bailey that's nearly the same shape and size as stock will suit my needs. We'll see.

If you really like the stock windscreen and the only problem is it is not tall enough , you do know Yamaha does make a taller replacement screen ?

KM

The optical distortion on the stock screen is high so I would not want an OEM screen, just a quality aftermarket shield slightly higher, which is exactly what the Cee-Bailey is. It's supposed to arrive today though sadly I won't have a chance to ride until Sunday due to rain and Thanksgiving. :) But I'll sit on my bike in the garage making vroom-vroom noises.

One point worth mentioning is that when an aftermarket screen manufacturer says a windscreen is "+2" or "+4" in height, that is measured linearly along the vertical dimension of the screen. The windscreen is not perfectly perpendicular, even when it is in the fully raised position, so you will not get all of that increase in height.

However, the way the mechanism is designed, the angle when fully raised is considerably steeper than the angle when fully lowered. In fact, this change in angle is responsible for more than half of the total change in the vertical height. It makes sense that a taller windscreen would be higher when raised and also higher when lowered, but the amount of increase when raised is considerably greater than the increase when lowered, this also due to change in angle.

If there is one absolute truth when it comes to windscreens, it is that every person will come to a different conclusion when trying them all.

My preferred setup for when it isn't gawd awful cold (like it is right now) is to run the stock windshield on a rifle tuning block. That allows me to lower the shield way down and get lots of smooth cooling air. This time of year I have a Rifle Touring (+6") shield that goes on there to hide behind.

Weird. More noise when looking through the Rifle shield, WTF, something was wrong. I look over mine at the high position and it is very quiet. See my post below

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...Rifle++rfulcher

If I want a low shield for summer I will cut down my stock one. I tend to want very quiet air with a big shield or very smooth air with no or almost no shield.

I added my V~Stream a week ago and will never go back to the stock shield. It seems to be about 2 inches taller but the best part is the shield is about 4 inches wider (total) at the top. Much quieter riding and much less turbulance. Make for those early morning (18 degree) rides to work much nicer. B)

Weird. More noise when looking through the Rifle shield, WTF, something was wrong. I look over mine at the high position and it is very quiet. See my post below
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...Rifle++rfulcher

If I want a low shield for summer I will cut down my stock one. I tend to want very quiet air with a big shield or very smooth air with no or almost no shield.
Look at his post again. He said that he got a +1" higher windshield. A +1 Rifle would actually be lower than stock after mountng it onto the required "angle optimizers". That shield would be good only for added air in the summer. On the 2nd gens, you can't just add a tuning block, like we can on 1st gens, so no going back to the stock shield with the "angle optimizers" still installed.

A +4 or bigger shield may have produced better results for him.

I added my V~Stream a week ago and will never go back to the stock shield. It seems to be about 2 inches taller but the best part is the shield is about 4 inches wider (total) at the top. Much quieter riding and much less turbulance. Make for those early morning (18 degree) rides to work much nicer. B)
Wait until summer. You'll go back. ;)

Latest posts