How much wind would a flip screen flip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malve

Reaction score
On the group ride in San Diego on Sat I was admiring the flip shield on one of the other bikes. At 5'7", the stock shield works for me with the one exception of the noise from my loud Arai Quantum II. If I duck my head just a couple/few inches it gets awfully quiet and peaceful. I don't think that I want a larger screen but if I thought that the same size in a flip screen would send the air up those crucial couple of inches, I think I would make the switch.

What do y'all think?

IMHO, the flip would be roughly equivalent to an extra inch, maybe two.

I've tried countless shields and my runaway fav is still the CBailees with flip.

I'm 6' 4" and have a Cee Bailys +4 +4 Flip - So far it is my favorite - but . . . . my CalSci xl just showed up about an hour ago - I've got it installed and am going to take it for a run tonight. It is taller than my CeeBailieys - but is tapered more at the top of the screen, so it has a little different shape to it. Still in pursuit of windsheild nirvana grasshopper.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're on the shorter side lad - so a simple flip at the stock height would probably work. I have a flip CB +2 high and it doesn't upset the bikes lines too much. A stock height with flip would be very close to maintaining the stock lines.

Scott

5'9" , Givi with flip, about same size as stock, still get plenty of airflow, it just takes the bumps out of the air.

I have a CeeBailey and I'm not crazy about it-it is better than my oversize Rifle for warm weather riding, but doesn't block what the Rifle does. On the other hand, less wind resistance. The Cee does create an annoying back pressure at triple digits, but we aren't above that too often. So far, Rifle for colder temps, Cee for summer. Have yet to try the V Stream. I'm 5'8".

I'm 6' 4" and have a Cee Bailys +4 +4 Flip - So far it is my favorite - but . . . . my CalSci xl just showed up about an hour ago - I've got it installed and am going to take it for a run tonight. It is taller than my CeeBailieys - but is tapered more at the top of the screen, so it has a little different shape to it. Still in pursuit of windsheild nirvana grasshopper.
Looking forward to that review!!!

John

It is of course similar to that old question

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

I thought i would ask before the Nut did........

R

Looking forward to that review!!!

John

Well - I put about 40 miles on the CalSci tonight - because of it's design (having a small cut out in the lower part of the sheild to eliminate some back pressure) it does let some air flow in to the cockpit which I like - just enough air to cool things off a bit. However - there is a small, but noticeable "whirring" sound associated with that cutout - it's not annoying and after 30 minutes I didn't even notice it. Because I went with the tallest sheild I don't have to put it up the whole way to get the "sweet spot" that I like.

With the Cee Baileys "flip" remember that as you raise the winsheild that the upper lit, or "flip" move farther away from you - and simulateously the "flip" becomes more perpendicular to the road - creating a little more resistance. Just my $.02.

I'm leaning more toward the CalSci right now - but I'll need a week to decide for sure - and then another month to change my mind and buy a Rifle. :eek:

I'm 5'10 and have tried the stock, CB-flip (forget the size but I think it is a 2+2, and finally settled on the v-stream for all around best shield.

Funny story:

When I was moving back to the states from Italy my movers who did not speak English seemed annoyed as I hovered around them as they packed my 3 windshields, givi trunk, side-cases, motorcycle parts, etc...

Even though we didn't speak the same language they knew what was important to me and took extra care to pack my FJR with care.

I asked our neighbor (who spoke English) what they were mumbling about at one point-

"How many windscreens does one person need?"

My wife replied "exactly!"

Some people just don't understand :)

It is of course similar to that old question
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

I thought i would ask before the Nut did........

R
Can't get nothing by you Richard. :p

Hey Pawtracks, good to hear from you.