How nimble is your FJR? what about vs a K1200?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonesoldier84

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repost. I checked the forum search and the frequently started thread - thread. Didnt turn anything up.

Short version:

FJR1300 vs K1200S...........I know FJR wins in comfort category. But what about cornering?

Long version

I have an FZ6. It is tough riding to get to the great twisties.....I am 6 foot 4 and this is a 600cc sport-tourer. It is a great bike in that it does everything so well. It is tremendously nimble, but can still accomodate long hauls.

But the time has come for me to upgrade into a specialized long hauler looking for twisties. I have every faith the FJR would be top notch for getting me to the twisties. And I know full well the FJR is a great bike for sport-riding in the corners. But I also know the K1200S would be the more nimble bike in the corners....the question is HOW MUCH more nimble?

The ONLY thing keeping me from locking into an FJR 100% is I don't want a big ole tanker in the corners. I am willing to take on extra weight to allow me more comfort, but I really enjoy feeling like I can just rail on the corners to my hearts content in the FZ6. I fear the FJR might lose some of that fun-factor while the K1200S wouldnt lose as much over the FZ6.

So, how nimble is the FJR really......?

A little while ago I thought about it in great detail and was pretty much decided on an FJR. But then I found some decent prices on the K1200 and got to thinking.

thanks all

The K1200S is more nimble. So is the Blackbird, so is the Busa, and let's not even get into true sport bikes. But the FJR with aftermarket suspension and a decent rider is a really fun and reasonably capable bike in the twisties.

July 4 weekend 2005, I did a 3 day trip in NW California on my then almost 3 month old, bone stock FJR -- Hwys. 89, 96, 299, 36 (world class twisties in some of that). I did that trip with an acquaintance who had a then new K1200S in blue and white. The FJR smoked the BMW. Another rider on the BMW and it mighta been different. If I was on the BMW and Dave was on the FJR, the result woulda been different.

The FJR is a capable motorcycle in the twisties set up right, but it isn't a sport bike or even a GT bike (like the K1200S, Blackbird, Busa or ZX14). Still, it's the rider that counts most. My Blackbird is more nimble and quicker, but I'd much prefer strafing twisties 1000 miles from home on the FJR for some obvious reasons. If you're just going to ride twisties in your backyard, get a sport bike. Everything is a compromise. For me, the FJR is the best set of compromises of any bike I've owned or ridden in 4+ decades. YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
We had both in the garage for a while, but only the FJR continued to earn it's place there. The K bike is very quick and near lethally fast. It's light too. What persuaded Andy to trade it in was the seating position. It is more leaned forward than the FJR so not as comfortable on the longer rides. Also needs premium gas, and a radar detector is a must. You think the FJR's speed is decptive? The K bike is almost a ticket waiting to happen. Still a great bike though.

I have an FJR AE and a K1200Rsport, which is slightly detuned (maybe 3 or 4 bhp down), and only partially faired (I hate tupperware), but otherwise the same as the K1200S. I think if you're thinking nimble, the lighter the bike, the better, and the K wins this battle by over 100 pounds. Also, I run sport bike tires on the K, and road tires on the FJR, so that makes a difference too. Then there's the ground clearance, where the K wins again for twisties.

These are really very different bikes. If you want to ride long distances for several days in a row, the FJR certainly has better onboard storage. I love the bags for the K, but they will NOT hold as much as the bags for the FJR.

As far as riding position is concerned, they're very different .... and I like neither one when I'm rolling in for gas. Both feel OK as I head out with a full tank. I really like the R1200GS for riding position AND for on board storage for longer runs.

In my opinion both the FJR and the K1200S or K1200Rsport are serious Autobahn machines. If you've got a good Yamaha dealer, and if you want to have better comfort for a pillion, and if you need a lot of onboard storage, it would be hard to beat the FJR. If you want roll ons and twisties, the K bike is more flickable, and in my opinion, more raw fun.

Get an FJR already!!! :D

I had a gen I FZ1, rolled up 50,000 trouble free miles, decided I wanted a "bagger" looked at the FJR, but thought it was to heavy. I got a BMW R1200ST, and rode it for a couple years, but what a mistake that was! I actually had mechanical issues with the thing!

Now I bought a used, stock FJR a couple moths ago, an am very impressed with the handling. The only problem I see is ground clearance. (I keep dragging the pegs) But it feels very nimble for such a big, heavy pig, and is plenty comfortable on long rides.

Its a much better value than a Beemer, and I like conventional forks myself. That Duo-Lever front end doesn't give as much feed back as to what the front contact patch is doing.

Just my $0.02

I took a K1200 out a few years ago during a dealership test ride. In fact, I took it out several times between dealership provided hot dogs and sodas. I enjoyed the heck out of it but both Silver Penguins and exskibums assesments are right on the money.

I'm on my second FJR since that test ride, though I continue to show up for test rides and hotdogs every year. :p

Buy the FJR and use the $7000 you save on installing the world's hottest FJR suspension!

Buy the FJR and use the $7000 you save on installing the world's hottest FJR suspension!
that would be my suggestion. I'm new to bikes, but given a choice between a bike that can do one or two things really great, and one that can do them ALMOST as well, but also accomplish a lot more, I'd take the second. Especially if it allowed me to have some extra dough left over to personalize it and focus on those aspects I want to make better.
Suspension, power commander, exhaust, tuning, and a few more farkles for YOUR comfort (maybe a taller windshield for you or different grips or sound system) and you STILL spent less and have a bike that'll satisfy all your requirements.

In addition to the other great comments you've gotten, you can't forget about the high maintenance cost of the Beemer. I speak from experience. Had a K1200 LT. Loved the beast, it handled well, extremely comfortable and had great long-haul ammenities. But, it also required about $800 worth of routine maintenance every two years, and then was will me doing all of the fluid changes.

Obviously, a lot of people have no problem with that expense and the lack of a significant dealer network. I did, but look where it led me...to my beloved FJR. Which by the way is a blast in the twisties. Coming from the K1200 LT, I don't think the FJR is a pig at all.

Keith

Toro,

Give me a quick comparison on engine vibration between the FJR and K1200.

Ron

I have an FJR AE and a K1200Rsport, which is slightly detuned (maybe 3 or 4 bhp down), and only partially faired (I hate tupperware), but otherwise the same as the K1200S. I think if you're thinking nimble, the lighter the bike, the better, and the K wins this battle by over 100 pounds. Also, I run sport bike tires on the K, and road tires on the FJR, so that makes a difference too. Then there's the ground clearance, where the K wins again for twisties.
These are really very different bikes. If you want to ride long distances for several days in a row, the FJR certainly has better onboard storage. I love the bags for the K, but they will NOT hold as much as the bags for the FJR.

As far as riding position is concerned, they're very different .... and I like neither one when I'm rolling in for gas. Both feel OK as I head out with a full tank. I really like the R1200GS for riding position AND for on board storage for longer runs.

In my opinion both the FJR and the K1200S or K1200Rsport are serious Autobahn machines. If you've got a good Yamaha dealer, and if you want to have better comfort for a pillion, and if you need a lot of onboard storage, it would be hard to beat the FJR. If you want roll ons and twisties, the K bike is more flickable, and in my opinion, more raw fun.

Toro,
Give me a quick comparison on engine vibration between the FJR and K1200.

Ron
They both started out a bit rough. I have had them both since they were brand new, so I did the break ins. In the case of the FJR, it had a startling amount of handlebar buzz.... so much so that it seemed risky to let go. Others who rode the bike noticed it too. It diminished some with break in, but it took a correct throttle body synch to knock it down into the range of what I would consider normal. A dynamic balancing of the front tire reduced it further. I would call the FJR smooth now, with just under 10,000 miles on the clock.

The K1200Rsport had a significant buzz at 4000 rpm when it started. Not terrible, but noticeable. As it broke in, this went away. It was pretty much totally gone by about 2000 miles. With over 10000 miles on the clock, I would rate this bike's level of smoothness to be exceptional, and better than any other motorcycle engine I have ever owned.

So ..... summarizing, I would rate both of my specimens as smooth, but the K bike is exceptionally smooth.... and again, other folks who've ridden this bike have noticed it and commented without solicitation.

An ST rider who gets off of the FJR won't say anything for or against the FJR's smoothness. An ST rider getting off the K bike will often make a comment about the smoothness (I used ride an ST1100 and still have many ST ridin' friends).

:huh: How nimble is my FJR ?

Well,lets put it this way. Compared to lets say....an FJR, this sucker rocks!

She's in a class by her self.

Respect her for the bike that she is.

My FJR is so much more nimble than the K1200S that it slips past the loan department while the K1200S gets sucked in every time.

Awesome info, and thanks all. I found an FJR used at a dealer for the right price with the right mods. It felt just right. But I came home and went from being 100% certain of buying it to thinking if it was wise or not. I have an FZ6. I think for now it would be more wise to add a more comfortable seat and make do for another year or two before jumping into a bigger investment. I'm taking on a mortgage in a month or so and adding to my debt load is just not wise.

That is the problem that's landed the economy where it is now....buying before earning.

I just really wanted a present to myself for graduation, and am a bit bitter that I was talked out of it by my family.

Why the hell do people have to be so god damned sensible all the time?

My time will come. The FJR is a perfect bike for me and what I want it to be. Thanks for all the feedback here ladies and gentlemen. Hopefully it will come in handy as a thread for someone else searching this forum on another day from another place.

In the meantime, I hope you lot won't mind if I stick around and PRETEND I have an FJR....

My FJR is so much more nimble than the K1200S that it slips past the loan department while the K1200S gets sucked in every time.
You're not shopping hard enough. I paid less for my K than for my FJR, having bought both new as leftovers.

As for twisties in your own backyard, get a Supermoto. We've got every kind of twisty here, from gentle sweepers to insane off camber descending hairpins. As the twisties get twistier, sportbikes give up before Supermotos.

And as for distant twisties, if that's the point of the trip, get a trailer and a Supermoto and when you get to the destination, at least you'll be cool, dry, and comfortable when you start the your run.

Meanwhile, the truth is just about all bikes nowadays can be classified as "great" compared to what we grew up with. And that goes for just about all Tires, just about all Batteries, just about all seats, etc. etc. etc.

We have been living through the golden age of motorcycles. I hope its not coming to an end.

In the meantime, I hope you lot won't mind if I stick around and PRETEND I have an FJR....
there are a number who are looking and waiting that visit here, along with former FJR owners who have moved to other brands yet are still frequent visitors/contributors.

For instance, there's a former FJR owner from CO who is riding his Goldwing to WFO in July.

I'm sure you'd be welcome to any rides in your local area.