How to get the logos/messages off a VStream windshield?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveD

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a new VStream shield and was dismayed by the logo right in the front center and several useless messages down in the corners. They're not stickers or decals - looks like they're painted on?

Anyone have a good way of removing that stuff without damaging the shield?

80 grit sandpaper?

Dremel drum sander?

Black paint?

:dntknw:

Any "messages" I've removed from windshields were, in fact, clear decal material/stick on. Once I started to peel them of they revealed themselves. Try using a blow dryer to heat them. Or Goof Off/Goo Gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dave,

I share your feelings!! Got my V-stream about a month back. Love its utility and calm airspace, but the logo annoyed me too.

Especially since I was working on getting a nice FJR decal for the Front... There may be an opportunity for a Group Buy when I receive/install it next week...

Without having my reading glasses on, and using my fingertips and fingernails as the detectors of edges... I THINK that the shit is engraved in... That Sucks if I am correct...

Take your fingertip and very lightly run it around the area that we both dislike - I believe that you'll feel the same "depressions" of etching that I do...

I'll be interested to hear if you come to the same conclusion...

Thanks,

Scott

There is a product that I think White Horse press sells that is just for removing stickers and decals. I have even seen it in bike shops. Also I think one of mini things that WD-40 will do is remove stickers.

There is a product that I think White Horse press sells that is just for removing stickers and decals. I have even seen it in bike shops. Also I think one of mini things that WD-40 will do is remove stickers.
The magic of WD-40 at sticker removal is for real!! Just give it some soak time - ie. overnight it a couple times if it is REALLY stubborn...

Scott

I believe the message in the corner relating to material, EPA/NHTSA/DOT/NASA/CIA/ETC is etched in, same as auto glass. But for stickers you can't beat WD40 since you probably have some around already. GooGone and GoofOff work, too, and I think they all contain a paint thinner type of solvent which SHOULD be safe to use on both acrylic (Plexiglas) and polycarbonate (Lexan). As said, test an inconspicuous spot first.

pete

I believe the message in the corner relating to material, EPA/NHTSA/DOT/NASA/CIA/ETC is etched in, same as auto glass. But for stickers you can't beat WD40 since you probably have some around already. GooGone and GoofOff work, too, and I think they all contain a paint thinner type of solvent which SHOULD be safe to use on both acrylic (Plexiglas) and polycarbonate (Lexan). As said, test an inconspicuous spot first.
pete
Likely it is similar to Cee Bailey. Carved in

Those logos are definetly not stickers, feels more like etched and painted. I'm afraid your best options would be to sand them off, live with them or change shields.

Likely it is similar to Cee Bailey. Carved in
My Cee Bailey windshield had removable decals. They may have changed from the "old days". :unsure:

Those logos are definetly not stickers, feels more like etched and painted. I'm afraid your best options would be to sand them off, live with them or change shields.
Maybe find some different decals to put over the offending area?

A "TWN Salute", for example.......

....or a Smiley Face....

Jist tryin' tuh hep. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the affirmation of my fingertips KenPo...

Gue$$ that I'LL at least be living with mine!!! UGH!!

I do still like the shield though guys...

Scott

Thanks for the affirmation of my fingertips KenPo...

Gue$$ that I'LL at least be living with mine!!! UGH!!

I do still like the shield though guys...

Scott
For those who may be in the mkt for an aftermkt windscreen, I now have a CalScientific and it is the best one I have had to date. Any of the stock Yamaha screens are crap. I had a CeeBailey and it was OK. The CalSci is the quietest of all and it is tall enough I rarely ever elevate the screen.