How to mount a Garmin 765

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_smile_2u

Reaction score
I have been reading all kinds of threads on GPS's and how they get mounted. After digesting all the comments I bought a Garmin 765t ($218 shipped from PCNation) . My experience with mounting things in cars has taught me that VIBRATION is a killer. Many of the RAM mounts seem to have the units at the end of a "post" usually a long one so as to get the unit closer to the bottom of rider's field of vision. The Nline shelf seems to be the best answer however I would still need to mount it to the shelf.

So:

What has worked for you? On what worked, pictures would be great.

What did NOT work?

Thanks in advance for all who reply.

Rick

Because I'm cheap frugal, I'm using the automotive type GPS on a Ram mount. Pick your favorite steering stem nut, arm length and the Ram cradle for your specific unit and you're good. I have a 205W that has been in use over two years and now have a 255W that is getting ready for service. If either of them break, so what...essentially all new electronics are throw away now.

Wife unit has the camera right now, so can't take a pic. Good Luck!

--G

0318101603-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a center stand coming off the front mount of the tank. doesn't seem to vibrate too much. There's no joints as with a ram mount.

DSC07507.jpg

DSC07508.jpg

DSC07509.jpg

I also used the front gas tank mounting bolts. I built a couple of hollow posts and a small platform with a ram-ball mounted to it. Used 4" bolts in place of the stock tank bolts.

Very stable and only vibrates as much as the frame of the bike. I like that fact that it and the power and antenna cables dont move when steering.

I also have a dash platform, but that really shakes pretty badly. Not sure about using it for electronics, I just have my xm-antenna on that.

Another option is to drill and tap a hole in the steering stem nut and attach a ram ball in there. Since it's dead center in the steering, there's not much movement when steering.

I'll get a picture tomorrow.

I used a RAM mount with a ball drilled into an N-Line dash shelf to mount my old 780 which worked fine. Now I have the Zumo and the Ram Ball stem nut... both worked great...

I haven't attached my RAM mount to my FJR yet but will use the same setup as I am using on my Valkyrie. On the Valk, I haven't noticed any undue vibration issues other than what is coming from through the suspension. I intend to get a 765T this summer and put it in RAM weatherproof case using the same mount.

I just finished making a few of these if anyone is interested. This is what I am currently using for my Zumo 660. Solid as all hell and mounted to the frame. Most likely the least amount of vibes out of anything out there. JMO

I added 1/4-20 tapped holes to the center section to mount other things.

Ram ball, 12V outlet you decide.

PM me for details. If you need a specific plate for whatever you want to mount let me know.

Dave

BuilderWill,

I bought my 07 with a center mounted GPS mount from Ztechnik. It has a small plate with some holes in it. It looks like this, even though it's not the same. https://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/ztech/lar..._model=bm%2d025

My question is how do I put my GPS unit to this mount. In your picture, there is a black plastic plate (with the mounting ball) that appears to be screwed into the metal mount. What is that piece called and where can I buy it?

It appears that that piece is the key to putting my Garmin Nuvi 760 to my mount.

Thanks much.

I used this:
2488553530105030702S600x600Q85.jpg

With the RAM mount bracket and a 3" arm.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=124395

These are very high quality, and look great. Vibration is minimal being mounted on the tank bolts.

(I have a 755t)
I just got a 765 and also this ball stem . Got me the Ram Mount open socket arm system from GPSCITY.COM -ramb103ga26---cost 24.95

Give you everything you need and look and work great.

Jim

I'm having a similiar issue but plan to go with a ram mount. I have a heli performance triple clamp that has holes for a ram ball. i cant figure out what pieces i would need to mount my 765t. do i order:

1. ram ball (that can screw into my triple clamp

2. extension arm

3. gps holder

or are there other pieces to this puzzle i'm missing? i'm not seeing anything like this on their site.

any ram mount recommendations would be appreciated.

thanx

GreyGoose

I'm having a similiar issue but plan to go with a ram mount. I have a heli performance triple clamp that has holes for a ram ball. i cant figure out what pieces i would need to mount my 765t. do i order:
1. ram ball (that can screw into my triple clamp

2. extension arm

3. gps holder

or are there other pieces to this puzzle i'm missing? i'm not seeing anything like this on their site.

any ram mount recommendations would be appreciated.

thanx

GreyGoose
You need the ram ball that mounts to the GPS bracket too: https://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/Pa...56/Default.aspx

Custom RAM AquaBox Here

From the factory, the box comes with foam that you cut out to fit and hold the GPS. I took a slightly different route...