How to mount a Pelican case or briefcase

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Checkswrecks

Reaction score
I commute every day on the FJR and when the base plate for the topcase cracked came up with this. OK, so I used an old briefcase because I had it on hand. A year later and it's still going. I got the base plate fixed but this turned out to be a better size for the daily commute anyway. The nice part is that I can pop it off the bike in a minute and carry the thing to the office without hauling something the size of a saddlebag or topcase. The only externally visible changes are the two holes for the pins and the two additional white feet. The idea is to spread the load with the large area washers and doublers. It's not totally waterproof but does OK and I leave the top open after riding in a stiff rain. One fellow on the forum took this idea to mount a Pelican case and the one photo I've seen looked really sharp. Basically, he has the equivalent of a reflectorless Givi (it was a big Pelican case) for probably $120.

Briefcasemount.jpg

Usually I just leave it on the bike. Note the crack in the bottom of the interior and the missing portion of the broken white spacer that used to cover the cracked area. Those are from the street-person who tried to rip the briefcase off the bike. So the security of this thing has been truly checked by the Testing Lab of DC Street Vermin (TLDSV?)

IMG_4151.jpg

I commute every day on the FJR and when the base plate for the topcase cracked came up with this. OK, so I used an old briefcase because I had it on hand. A year later and it's still going. I got the base plate fixed but this turned out to be a better size for the daily commute anyway. The nice part is that I can pop it off the bike in a minute and carry the thing to the office without hauling something the size of a saddlebag or topcase.
Briefcasemount.jpg
Nice set up. What is that larger black plate on top of the luggage rack? Is that the mount for the old topcase? Something that can be purchased by itself?

Craig

Nice set up. What is that larger black plate on top of the luggage rack? Is that the mount for the old topcase? Something that can be purchased by itself?
Craig
I'm pretty sure that's the Yamaha OE Trunk mounting plate. Yes it can be purchased seperately from Mamma Yamma. $$

Craig
I'm pretty sure that's the Yamaha OE Trunk mounting plate. Yes it can be purchased seperately from Mamma Yamma. $$
For a rack, you might also try these:

Givi "universal"

Rack from OhioFJR (Pillion backrest available)

Garauld's GenII rack; Garauld's Gen1 luggage rack (Pillion backrest available)

There are others.....be creative!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back from a great week-end skiing with the kid.

Fred's right, in that it's the OEM Yamaha base-plate, but like Mike mentioned, it oculda been most any rack.

I haven't had anybody point out that I forgot my briefcase back there. But I do come out and once a week or so find the combinaiton different than how I always leave it. Damn street vermin.

Back from a great week-end skiing with the kid.
Fred's right, in that it's the OEM Yamaha base-plate, but like Mike mentioned, it oculda been most any rack.

I haven't had anybody point out that I forgot my briefcase back there. But I do come out and once a week or so find the combinaiton different than how I always leave it. Damn street vermin.
So they see a briefcase and figure they need some new briefs? :lol: