How to paint a polycarbonate helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I scored a new HJC CL-15 helmet for $39 with ugly (to me) graphics. I read threads on the forum about painting helmets, and there were several posts saying you absolutely could not paint polycarbonate. So I wrote HJC and asked. For the collective knowlege base I am posting their response:

" [SIZE=10pt]Dear Michael:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]In response to your inquiry, the correct and safest way to paint our helmets is by using a two stage urethane automotive paint (base coat/clear coat combination). Automotive type paint is what we use at our factory in Korea. In preparing your helmets, do not remove any of the rubber trim or vents, rather, mask them with a high grade 3M painters masking tape. Scuff all the shiny surface with a high grade wet/dry 3M automotive sanding paper (320 grit - 400 grit). Wipe your helmet down with some wax/grease remover to clean off all the excess sanding powder. Then spray your base coat - let dry - spray your clear coat.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Please make note that any modifications made to your helmet are subject to possibly having the warranty void at our determination.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]If you have any other question feel free to email us back. Hope this helps![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]We appreciate your business and contributions in making HJC Helmet North [/SIZE]

America's number one helmet selling company for the past decade.

Please visit www.hjchelmets.com for our new and exciting product line

(FS-15, IS-16, SY-MAX II, IS-MAX, FS-3, FS-2, IS-33, CS-5N, CS-2N) alongside recent past models.

There are still more new models to come very soon in the future!

Thank You.

Sincerely,[SIZE=10pt]Fritzie Cota[/SIZE]

HJCA Customer Service Rep

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=10pt]Please make note that any modifications made to your helmet are subject to possibly having the warranty void at our determination.[/SIZE]
[/size][/font]
This is the only part I would like clarified. Other than that I am surprised you got a response. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
[/size][/font]
This is the only part I would like clarified. Other than that I am surprised you got a response. Thanks for sharing.

I never wrote back. It's a CYA thing I think. Any time you modify anything from any manufacturer, that's what you get. If it was a truly bad idea, I suspect they'd say so. At a $100+ discount, I was ok with the risk. These helmets only last me a season or two anyway. I'll seal the inner lining with plastic sheeting to keep fumes out, or have a local shop do the painting. I'm waiting on a quote now.

Wow that is a pretty thoughtful response from HJC. You don't get much of that. No computer generated non-answer? How do these guys expect to stay in business spending time dealing with actual customers concerns??!! The shareholders are going to be pissed if they get wind of this! :lol:

[/size][/font]

I never wrote back. It's a CYA thing I think. Any time you modify anything from any manufacturer, that's what you get. If it was a truly bad idea, I suspect they'd say so. At a $100+ discount, I was ok with the risk. These helmets only last me a season or two anyway. I'll seal the inner lining with plastic sheeting to keep fumes out, or have a local shop do the painting. I'm waiting on a quote now.
Scorpion has the same thing in their warranty. I guess if you use the wrong chemicals and it deteriorates the shell and you die from a crash it is your fault. I was impressed that you got a response.