How to Protect my FJR From The Elements

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slo-ride

slo-ride
Reaction score
My 2007 FJR is beautiful and I would like to keep it that way by protecting it from the sun while it sits in my parking lot at the office. I already carry a lot of stuff in my saddle bags and really do not want to carry a large full cover with me and take the time to unroll it then roll it up again later. Is this my only option? Are half shades easy to deploy?

Thanks

Although I don't have a half cover myself, I've sold several where I work & feedback has been positive. Lightweight, small & easy to pack.

My 2007 FJR is beautiful and I would like to keep it that way by protecting it from the sun while it sits in my parking lot at the office. I already carry a lot of stuff in my saddle bags and really do not want to carry a large full cover with me and take the time to unroll it then roll it up again later. Is this my only option? Are half shades easy to deploy?
Thanks

slo-ride,

I use a Dowco Guardian Traveler XL size motorcycle cover somewhere in the $30 range.

The cover comes with a little bag for storage, but i just fold it up sevral times and put it in one of the side bags for easy retrival.

It's very compact when stored. This unit is just a sun shade, fit is very good with or with out the top box.

cadman

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

slo-ride,

I use a Dowco Guardian Traveler XL size motorcycle cover somewhere in the $30 range.

The cover comes with a little bag for storage, but i just fold it up sevral times and put it in one of the side bags for easy retrival.

It's very compact when stored. This unit is just a sun shade, fit is very good with or with out the top box.

cadman
Thank you. That's just what I was looking for. I'll be ordering one soon.

slo-ride

Nelson Rigg also makes a good full size cover that packs down to a small stuff sack. Just in case you can't find a Dowco Guardian.

Just a thought to muddy the waters.

Brodie

slo-ride
Nelson Rigg also makes a good full size cover that packs down to a small stuff sack. Just in case you can't find a Dowco Guardian.

Just a thought to muddy the waters.

Brodie
After the suggestions on here....I bought the Nelson Rigg about 2 weeks ago. Very nice half cover for $40 shipped.

I keep a Nelson Rigg half cover at my work. Put it on when I come in, leave it at work.

Works wonderfully, and keeps the beating sun off the bike which sits in the Parking lot all day.

Anything you can do to minimize sun exposure is never a waste of time. The sun will age everything.

I keep a Nelson Rigg half cover at my work. Put it on when I come in, leave it at work.
Works wonderfully, and keeps the beating sun off the bike which sits in the Parking lot all day.

Anything you can do to minimize sun exposure is never a waste of time. The sun will age everything.
There website shows the UV-2000 as their half cover. What size did you get and how much of the bike does it cover? Most importantly for me, I want to be able to store the cover in as small of a space as possible so how big is it when it is folded for storage?

I have the NR UV 2000. Hate to post this, but I can't recall the size. Believe I got the biggest because I also have the Givi V-46 and wanted to make sure it would cover the bike with the Givi on the bike.

Cover fits nicely, more than a 1/2 cover even with the Givi on the bike. Kinda like "clam diggers," not really long-pants and not really shorts! If no one chimes in I'll check the size tonight.

It does come with a pouch and you can squeeze it down fairly small package - I'll hunt it down tonight and take a picture if it'll help you.

Overall good piece of gear.

There website shows the UV-2000 as their half cover. What size did you get and how much of the bike does it cover? Most importantly for me, I want to be able to store the cover in as small of a space as possible so how big is it when it is folded for storage?

In all fairness, this cover only covers the tail below the seat area, tank, front fairing below the lights. But, it does work well as a shade. it will not cover the side bags but I ride with them off most the time. I have a GIVI E52 that I use to carry my computer case and lunch. I take this off and bring it in to work. At about $25 it was a good investment. I would think it would pack small but I keep it under my desk each night.

Hope that helps without a pic.

I have the NR UV 2000. Hate to post this, but I can't recall the size. Believe I got the biggest because I also have the Givi V-46 and wanted to make sure it would cover the bike with the Givi on the bike.
Cover fits nicely, more than a 1/2 cover even with the Givi on the bike. Kinda like "clam diggers," not really long-pants and not really shorts! If no one chimes in I'll check the size tonight.

It does come with a pouch and you can squeeze it down fairly small package - I'll hunt it down tonight and take a picture if it'll help you.

I'm interested in the NR UV 2000, what size do you have and how well does it fit? Gerrt.GEG mentioned that he has the same and says that it doesn't cover the saddle bags. Just wondering if that's a difference in size? In the picture on Nelson-Rigs website the show the UV2000 1/2 cover covering the bags on a cruiser.

Checked the website. That's the one. I wouldn't consider that covering the bags really. I suppose one could do the same thing with the FJR but it works great for shading most of the bike without the bags. I just haven't experimented too much with it.

I'm interested in the NR UV 2000, what size do you have and how well does it fit? Gerrt.GEG mentioned that he has the same and says that it doesn't cover the saddle bags. Just wondering if that's a difference in size? In the picture on Nelson-Rigs website the show the UV2000 1/2 cover covering the bags on a cruiser.

Here's are some pictures:

Here's what it looks like in the bag as sitting on my rear seat and on the deck with a tape measure. 12" x 6" (Bag), you can squish it smaller.

IMG_11742.jpg
IMG_11752.jpg

In case you forgot, here's what on 05 looks like with a Givi 46:

IMG_11762.jpg

Here are two pictures, first with the Givi 46 on and the second without the Givi 46:

IMG_11772.jpg

IMG_11782.jpg

Even with the Givi on, the cover does cover the bags. Less taught with the Givi off. In fact, gotta be careful not to touch the cover to the hot pipes!

Hope this helps provide some perspective.

BTW, it's an Extra Large!

the gardian traveler hooks over the front fender and with the top case mounted, stays put with the elastic running under the side bag reflectors. without the top case, it fits over the bags very nicely.

imagine in jimlor's photo, the cover over the front fender, but not covering the exhaust. both covers share the elastic straps the fashion to the pegs.

the nelson riggs is a popular cover for seveal other bikers at work, most of those owners have inquired about my cover as it protects the front just a bit more.

looking closer to jimlor's photo it looks as though the mirrors are folded in, no need to do that with the traveler.

if you'd like i can post up pics tomorrow evening.

cadman

Just to throw another thought, anyone own the KwiKover by laminar @ Kwikover.com ? I have the UV 2000, but it hits above the pipes and I am constantly worried about melting the cover. The Kwikover only protects the seat and controls, but looks more compact and it looks like it stores easier.