How waterproof are they??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snikr

Reaction score
I have a Joe Rocket Meteor 5 jacket and I was wonder just how "waterproof" it really is? Anyone tried their JR Meteor jacket in the rain? Plus how about FirstGear HT Air Over Pants??

The reason I'm asking is I have a big trip coming up and would like to know just how waterproof they really are. That way I can take my rain suit out of my tank bag. It'll give me more room for other things. Thanks.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Tom, you have the Joe Rocket, go ride in the rain and find out. Or you can get hosed down in the thing and see how wet you get. The other jackets you'll need to see who chimes in.

The one thing is if the jackets have water resistant or proof liners they do pretty good. I know my FieldShear does well with it's water barrier. Unless you're in it all day or you get a heavy down pour. The outside jacket is wet but the liner keeps me dry. Otherwise a rain suit maybe the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
No liner in mine. That's why I was asking to see if anyone else with the JR Meteor 5 jacket knows. Not much rain up this way lately. I have ridden in a few VERY light showers with no problems but the HUGH downpours are what worry me.

Tom

No liner in mine. That's why I was asking to see if anyone else with the JR Meteor 5 jacket knows. Not much rain up this way lately. I have ridden in a few VERY light showers with no problems but the HUGH downpours are what worry me.
Tom
i would keep the rain suit in the bag or pack it away else where, nothing worse than finding out your stuff doesn't work on a long ride, I spent 20 plus hours in heavy rain, riding to and back from ny a few weeks back and wore my mesh gear and just took two sets of rain gear,

I used one set up and used my heated gear as well, gloves were the biggest issue i had,,, still soaked through a little.. on the way back home, i actually used one rain suit for half way and stopped and changed into the second, then road the rest of the way...

i just wouldn't trust the gear to be good in a heavy down pour. besides those linners will make you sweat.......unless its below 70......

I've taken many cross country trips and I've learned to always take a rain suit - even the best jackets will leak if it rains hard enough. Make sure your boots are waterproof too. Gloves, take 3 pair so you can dry the wet ones out at night.

Have fun!

I can't speak t the Rocket jacket, but the HT overpamts are waterproof when new. After the first year mine started to let in a little water in my lap. I used the Nikwax detergent and waterproof stuff and that helped but did not restore them to original. I know that others have posted better results with long term waterproof on these pants.

The First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket. OTOH, was waterproof for a couple years years without treatment. It probably still is, but I switched to Olympia this year.

Pack the rainsuit....my JR Meteor 4 is OK if I get caught in a downpour on my 30 mile commute home but somewhat leaky....I cant imagine being in it for the long haul.

Have a Met 4 and it (like most) will wet down and become heavy in a good rain. I now carry a nel rigg (cheap) stormrider to throw over it.

-Don

Latest posts