Howdy - Tell me about my 2003

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fairytat

Reaction score
I picked up a 2003 FJR last spring. I didn't get to ride a tremendous amount last year. I got laid off and I had to move so riding wasn't in the picture time or money wise. This year is much better. I've had it out about 6 times so far. Longest ride was about 240 miles.

I'm still working on getting it adjusted to fit me. I came off a Honda VTX so it's a new world for me but I love it. I had no idea a bike could handle like this! My cruiser riding friends who think it's an ugly bike just have no idea. He's beautiful to me (I call him Frankie Jr). Plus I understand the 2003 is the fastest!

I'm shopping for a seat. The Corbin that came on it is terrible. I don't have the $ for a Russell but I'm hoping to run across a used seat that is more butt friendly than the Corbin. I would also like to be a bit more flat-footed. I'm 5'9 so I can reach but I still have the desire to be firmly planted when my feet are down.

I've installed risers. One set of pullback with a set of 1 inch on top of that. The bars still aren't back far enough for me to be really comfortable but I don't know if I could add another set of pullbacks and still be functionally okay. I've searched for aftermarket bar options but there don't seem to be any.

I changed out the windshield to a taller Cee Bailey and did the mod to stop it from automatically retracting.

I'm running a set of Conti-Motion and they seem pretty good. They were a budget choice last year. I'll probably go with something else when I replace them. I used the balancing beads with my cruiser. I suppose it's okay to do that on the FJR too but I haven't seen anyone talking about it so maybe not.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined for a lady. I'm 46 and have been riding most of my life. I do my own maintenance (oil, brake pads, etc) but I wouldn't tear down the engine on my own or anything like that. I know there are many ways to adjust this bike. I've been reading on the forum since I got it last year and have really learned a lot.

So I guess this is a general Howdy from middle Tennessee! Any comments, tips or Gen I knowledge is welcome.

Welcome from the Left Coast!

Glad to hear that you're getting time to ride that fine machine. It sounds like you've been reading up on - and zeroed in on - the areas that you can personalize.

Your experience with the Corbin saddle is predictable - you "either swear by them or swear at them". Both groups are vocal about their love/hate relationship. While you save your pennies for something else, you might try padded bicycling shorts under your riding gear. It won't cure the "riding on a brick" experience, but it will help - without subtracting too much from your inseam. At 5'9" you are ahead of the curve of most women - and many men riders! While you might be able to customize a saddle and sit a bit lower, know that there are plenty of riders who would sell children to have your height.

Related to the saddle is your mention of the handlebar reach. Both issues might be helped by a little "body English". Here's one example: https://kevinhoffberg.com/blog/2008/02/17/learn-how-to-sit-on-your-bike-meet-master-yoda/

Tires? It seems that the most "popular" is the PR2 (folks who ride in wet conditions give a nod to PR3), but a brief excursion to NEPRT will entertain you for hours.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link! I will read up on that closely and see if I can incorporate some of that the next time I ride. We have rain forecasted here this weekend so I'll probably skip it. I used to ride in rain, snow and fridgid temps but the older I get the less I care if the guys call me a sissy.
smile.png
I just think fondly of them while I'm at home sipping my coffee.
flirt.gif

As for the tires, it seems that is like what oil you prefer, everybody has a different opinion. Oil, tires and riding in gravel are all things I wouldn't try to get a definate answer on here.

I wish I had got in on the Angel/Pirelli deal but something else will probably pop up.

Come over to Maggie Valley, NC, this September and attend EOM (Eastern Owner's Meet). You'll see all manner of stuff to spend money you don't have! Don't ask me how I know...

Keep your eyes peeled for a russel seat used on the site here, I bought just a drivers seat and was a great upgrade, the Sargent's I had for my gen 1 got sold off right away. They are pretty darn good and much better then factory.

Wish I could help on tires, I run PR2's for the last 3 change outs and love them, not sure about gravel driving too much - I try to avoid that.

I do suggest you pick up a couple nice must have upgrades - in the group buy area. WynPro Bigfoot for kickstand, and Garauld Highway Pegs...

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/forum/107-groupself-buys/

Welcome to the board, and nice to see another of the female persuasion here.... great choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come over to Maggie Valley, NC, this September and attend EOM (Eastern Owner's Meet). You'll see all manner of stuff to spend money you don't have! Don't ask me how I know...
I might have to so that! Only if I figure out the seat situation before then tho. I wouldn't do an all weekender with this Corbin. I wouldn't be able to walk upright for a week! 240 miles on it required a soak in the tub and lots of aleve.

Keep your eyes peeled for a russel seat used on the site here, I bought just a drivers seat and was a great upgrade, the Sargent's I had for my gen 1 got sold off right away. They are pretty darn good and much better then factory.
Wish I could help on tires, I run PR2's for the last 3 change outs and love them, not sure about gravel driving too much - I try to avoid that.

I do suggest you pick up a couple nice must have upgrades - in the group buy area. WynPro Bigfoot for kickstand, and Garauld Highway Pegs...

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/forum/107-groupself-buys/

Welcome to the board, and nice to see another of the female persuasion here.... great choice.
I'm getting some of the Garauld Highway Pegs! Those look great. I installed frame sliders and thought I might be able to use them as somewhat of a foot rest (right knee is shot) but they're too high to be of use for that.

I'm keeping an eye out for a used seat. If somebody has a driver's seat for sale I don't know if I could make that work. I currently have a one piece seat so no pillon to spare.

Ahhhh... the flying brick known as Corbin! Definitely keep your eyes open here for a new seat. I see them for sale all of the time. Also, I've heard that your ass gets used to a Corbin... your Corbin doesn't break in for your ass. You may only need a little more seat time on it.

& be careful with them highway pegs... Not going to go into too many details about my adventures with highway pegs. Just keep in mind they are attached to engine cases. If engine case is compromised, you're not riding home.

& welcome form one women FJR rider to another,

Heidi

I had a Corbin Canyon Close but at 6-1 I needed more distance from the pegs, not less. Sold it and got a custom seat from Seth Laam.

https://laamseats.com/I 15% sale and free shipping. Might not be a Russell but it's a nice step up from the Corbin and the price is right. The banner on his home page features a gen1 FJR seat. Worth a look.

Congrats on the best gen acquisition! I also have Garauld's hiway pegs
punk.gif
If you use a top case you might want to check out his rear subframe stiffener.He does nice work.

Ahhhh... the flying brick known as Corbin! Definitely keep your eyes open here for a new seat. I see them for sale all of the time. Also, I've heard that your ass gets used to a Corbin... your Corbin doesn't break in for your ass. You may only need a little more seat time on it.
& be careful with them highway pegs... Not going to go into too many details about my adventures with highway pegs. Just keep in mind they are attached to engine cases. If engine case is compromised, you're not riding home.

& welcome form one women FJR rider to another,

Heidi
Hi Heidi!

My ass is too big and old to get used to the slick black plank that is this corbin seat! I'm thinking of using it as an anvil once I get a replacement.

I hadn't considered that aspect of the highway pegs. Girl! You must have been on a serious lean!

Christey

I had a Corbin Canyon Close but at 6-1 I needed more distance from the pegs, not less. Sold it and got a custom seat from Seth Laam.https://laamseats.com/I 15% sale and free shipping. Might not be a Russell but it's a nice step up from the Corbin and the price is right. The banner on his home page features a gen1 FJR seat. Worth a look.

Congrats on the best gen acquisition! I also have Garauld's hiway pegs
punk.gif
If you use a top case you might want to check out his rear subframe stiffener.He does nice work.
I had looked at the Laam seats but it seemed that you needed to send your old seat to him and during prime riding season I'm not willing to be seatless for a couple of weeks or more. His stuff looks nice tho. I might get with him after the season if I haven't found a solution by then.

I have a top case. Sometimes I use it and sometimes I don't. What benefit is the subframe stiffener?

I hadn't considered that aspect of the highway pegs...
Many here do okay with hiway pegs, but I know of at least 4 people on this forum who have gone horizontal with their bike because their hiway peg or mount dragged or caught in a corner...
Ouch! I got away from the cruiser bikes because I almost went horizontal a couple of times by leaning too hard and catching the frame (which lifts the back tire off the ground) on my VTX. The FJR's appeal was speed and cornering without hinderance. I don't want to worry about pegs catching.

Ask the Forum if someone would loan you a set of seats so you can have yours rebuilt, or ask if someone would sell a set that you could have rebuilt. I bought two sets of stock seats from the Forum, one set has been Rick Mayer'ed, another set has been Russell'ed and my OEM seats have been gelled. My Mayer seat is real tired and needs to be rebuilt and the >5 years old Russell isn't far behind.

If your top case is OEM and you really load it up and live at the end of a bumpy 7 mile long driveway you may want to look into the sub-frame stiffener. I don't think we have found one definite set of circumstances that will always result in a broken sub-frame. The stiffener will make access to the tail lights impossible without removing it.

Ouch! I got away from the cruiser bikes because I almost went horizontal a couple of times by leaning too hard and catching the frame (which lifts the back tire off the ground) on my VTX. The FJR's appeal was speed and cornering without hinderance. I don't want to worry about pegs catching.
Without the hway pegs, ground clearance is not an issue for me. But some sportbike guys on this forum...there is never enough clearance.

It really depends on how you ride.

Hi Fairytat! There are a few of us FJR riders in the area....give me and/or dragonfly a shout, we both ride 2-up with our wives so if you run with us you won't feel out numbered by the guys. I have a corbin seat and the stock seat with the Spencer mod...if you wanted to try the spencer mod I could loan it to you for a ride one day.

Also, my last FJR was a 2003....but I ride a 2005 now.....be sure to stop by at nashvilleriders.com and see if we have any local rides scheduled. I look forward to riding with you soon.

Without the hway pegs, ground clearance is not an issue for me. But some sportbike guys on this forum...there is never enough clearance.

It really depends on how you ride.

I have to be careful going from the sportbike to the FJR, cause I start dragging hard stuff when I try to ride the FJR that way :lol:

Ask the Forum if someone would loan you a set of seats so you can have yours rebuilt, or ask if someone would sell a set that you could have rebuilt.
DAMN IT Alan, get outta my head!

Christey - if you want to get your seat customized, I have a spare GenI stock seat (driver and passenger) you can borrow while the work is being done.

And definitely keep an eye out for seats for sale - I bought my Russell from someone on this forum several years ago. As Sooze says, she gives the Russell "two buns up."