Hugger Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fairlaner

The Bartender Whisperer
Reaction score
I bought this thing several months ago and tried to install it at the time but it was very flimsy and really didn't seem to fit worth a shit.

At the time i painted it myself (Black). I then left it in the doorway of my garage to dry, when i returned several minutes later i found that after sitting in the sun my nice paint job had bubbled up and looked like shit......

I then decided **** it and threw it on top of the fridge and forgot about it for a while.

2 weeks ago i decided to send it to Gary (garauld) and see if he could paint it better than I, well sure enough he could ( I knew he could).

I received it back from Gary today and decided to MAKE it fit.

Here are some pictures of it on the bike.

P1030351.jpg

P1030353.jpg

P1030354.jpg

P1030359.jpg

P1030361.jpg

If I had it to do over again would I bother??????

well i have 2 words "**** NO"

R

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks nice! Where's the hugger from?

I'm assuming, but can't really see in the pics, that you've done some sort of fender eliminator mod?

The hugger comes from some place in Belgium, and no i have done no mods to the rear fender as i am not sure how long i will leave this on.

R

He needs a little something to replace the rear fender that he shorten. Looks like one of the jet ski's that shoot the water plum in the air when he drives in the rain.
And the hugger would help with that?

Just what is the functional aspect? Cleaning off critter meat?

I have been thinking of doing this mod to my ride.. To get rid of that ugly stock piece of plastic that hangs down behind the rear tire. Here are the links ( Hugger) and (Undertray). The Links are for a "08 model, but they have them for all years.

Hope this helps...

He needs a little something to replace the rear fender that he shorten. Looks like one of the jet ski's that shoot the water plum in the air when he drives in the rain.
And the hugger would help with that?

Just what is the functional aspect? Cleaning off critter meat?

It will keep some spray off the shock and undertail area. It looks like it also has a piece that will shield the brake disk from road spray. Oh, and it looks cool. That's about all. Well, that and it will make it infinitely harder to pull the wheel off to change the tire.

It will not reduce the "rooster tail" if one were to get rid of, or shorten, the rear fender. How could it? Look at how far back it (doesn't) goes? Consider the direction the wheel rotates. The spray will still spray up the back of your seat and provide that nice skunk stripe on your back.

the only real problem was that the fiberglass had bubbles on the inside and rubbed on the tire, I took a grinder to it and fixed that and now it seems fine.

Fred you are right it will make removing the wheel a lot more time consuming, I used some 3M dual on the rear part of the hugger instead of the velcro that came with it.

I also think the paint that Gary put on it maybe stiffened it up a little....

Time will tell.

R

Richard,

YOUR hugger is ghey! :dribble:

Tyler,

YOUR hugger is so NOT ghey! :rolleyes:

Actually, I looked at doing this a long time ago and never dropped the coin on it. Looks good... too bad about the added PITA when removing the rear tire. Sure makes it look clean down there... although there is more painted plastic to "clean" down there now.

I'll let you know when I get my ghey crash bar installed.

It's about time you did something different with your bike than me! <_<