HVAAS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pale Rider 07

Reaction score
As a FNG, I have learned the importance of not starting a thread that has been done so many times already. Trust me, I have read through most of the posts regarding the HVAAS (notice I'm not using the "W" word.) I know all the brands and styles out there and I know that this is a highly personal choice, but I don't have to budget to shop around until I'm satisfied. When I picked up my ride, I had it outfitted with Yamaha's touring windshield...ok, yes, I guess it's easier to use the actual word. I'm not at all happy with it. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. With the windshield raised all the way, the top of it looks as if it's about 2-3 inches below my line of site and the noise is really bothersome. I can't even hear my engine. If I drop my shoulders, lowering my head about 2 inches, the noise vanishes and I hear that wonderful hum of the bike.

So it would seam like a simple solution to get a windshield that is 2-3 inches taller than what I have now. However my thought process wonders if it is more a case of keeping the same height, but changing the shape. So, I would like to hear from those of you that made a change of shape (design) but kept the same height?

Btw...will most likely have a Yamaha touring windshield for sale if any of you inseam impaired folks are interested. :)

In racing, we found that only two things made you really faster. More cubic inches and more money.

Same with windshields. You can goof around with shapes and there will be small differences. Cutting holes in the lower edge of the Gen1 windshields reduced the differential pressure between front and rear of the plastic, moving the contact point higher by an inch or two. A laminar lip will move the contact point higher.

But there's really no substitute for height.

Checks

btw - welcome to the forum and black boxes don't survive, just their memories.

Laminar Lip! It will extend the w______d up a couple of inches, improve the airflow, and cost lots less than a new w______d.

Name withheld to protect the innocent :unsure:

Welcome form the Big Apple. :clapping: I'll be interested to hear your decision. I've been trying to make up my mind also. :(

As a FNG, I have learned the importance of not starting a thread that has been done so many times already. Trust me, I have read through most of the posts regarding the HVAAS (notice I'm not using the "W" word.) I know all the brands and styles out there and I know that this is a highly personal choice, but I don't have to budget to shop around until I'm satisfied. When I picked up my ride, I had it outfitted with Yamaha's touring windshield...ok, yes, I guess it's easier to use the actual word. I'm not at all happy with it. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. With the windshield raised all the way, the top of it looks as if it's about 2-3 inches below my line of site and the noise is really bothersome. I can't even hear my engine. If I drop my shoulders, lowering my head about 2 inches, the noise vanishes and I hear that wonderful hum of the bike.
So it would seam like a simple solution to get a windshield that is 2-3 inches taller than what I have now. However my thought process wonders if it is more a case of keeping the same height, but changing the shape. So, I would like to hear from those of you that made a change of shape (design) but kept the same height?

Btw...will most likely have a Yamaha touring windshield for sale if any of you inseam impaired folks are interested. :)

Try the Laminar Lip! You get your two inches (just like my wife) and it helps eliminate the wind buffeting.