Hwy 16 - Marion to Beckley

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leedavis

Reaction score
I'm planning a twisty ride for April part of which includes Hwy 16 from Marion VA to Beckley WV. A friend who was up that way a couple weeks ago told me today that the road was covered in thick gravel - I guess traction for cages - that made it all but impassable for bikes. Does anyone know more about this, like when the road clears?

Haven't been on 16 since last fall, but if it is anything like other area mountain roads then your friend is correct. Me and jekirby tried to ride 311 about 3 weeks ago and found so much gravel we abandoned the route for another.

As for when it will clear, generally takes a good 3-4 day rain and no more snow. Seems that every time we get enough rain to do the trick lately, it is followed by snow and so more gravel and sand.

Approach with caution unless you hear of high water producing rains in the area between now and when you plan to ride. Not much help, but I tried.

It will take another month+ of rain and cattle truck traffic to clear it off. 16 from Marion to Mouth of wilson will be clearer this time of year--but not reckless clear. You may only experience thick gravel on Walker Mountain, but do not count on it. Give it a month--then try. Scenery will still be good. That is mostly farm country and truck traffic will throw a lot of it around. Late April may be ok. I tell you what, I need to break in my new cycleport gear, so I'll be glad to scout it for you in a couple of weeks. B)

There are plenty of rides down that way. What route will take you to Marion?

When are you planning to go. Marion is my home town and not too far from where I live not would love to travel down that way and meet some others from the forum.

I'm planning to ride 16 in 2 weeks so I hope its clear. I'm picking up 16 from 221 in NC and ride it to Beckley, WV.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm planning a twisty ride for April part of which includes Hwy 16 from Marion VA to Beckley WV. A friend who was up that way a couple weeks ago told me today that the road was covered in thick gravel - I guess traction for cages - that made it all but impassable for bikes. Does anyone know more about this, like when the road clears?
We were last up there a month ago and it was a white-out blizzard. They were sanding they heck out of the roads and cars still went off, but all that sand and gravel is going to still be there a while.

Thanks for the information. There's a handful of us out of central North Carolina that want to do a little early season 2 day adventure up to Lewisburg and back. The Guys will be grumpy and hard to live with if it's all gravel encrusted roads! Instead of April do you think by the 1st week or two in May roads will be clear?

Here's the plan as it stands now. I'm not familiar with all of it so will appreciate any local knowledge concerning Bad Ideas.

Route to Lewisburg

Return Route

7 out of the next 10 days call for rain/showers for Marion & Tazewell.

Hopefully that will clear the sand/gravel problem and clear up before I get there in 2 weeks.

Steve

Thanks for the information. There's a handful of us out of central North Carolina that want to do a little early season 2 day adventure up to Lewisburg and back. The Guys will be grumpy and hard to live with if it's all gravel encrusted roads! Instead of April do you think by the 1st week or two in May roads will be clear?
Here's the plan as it stands now. I'm not familiar with all of it so will appreciate any local knowledge concerning Bad Ideas.

Route to Lewisburg

Return Route

Yes, 1st of May probably a safer bet. On the way in, be aware that Odd Road and Farley Creek are one and a half lane back roads - rideable fun, but with due caution.

EDIT: I was thinking Pluto Road out of Shady (1 1/2 lane) instead of Farley Creek/Mount View. Mount View Road might be a one laner all the way thru to 3...maybe Ok maybe not with a group...may be ahead to just stay 19 on into Shady Spring to pick up 3. 3 is a good ride, you'll like it.

On the way out, if you are going to end up in Christiansburg anyway, you might want to give Rt 311 from Crows, VA (White Sulphur Springs, WV) to Salem, VA a look see. On 311S, just short of Catabwa, VA there is a cutoff road to the Blacksburg / Christiansburg area...VA RT 785 I think it is. A MUCH MORE FUN way to get from Lewisburg to Christiansburg for about the same mileage.

7 out of the next 10 days call for rain/showers for Marion & Tazewell.Hopefully that will clear the sand/gravel problem and clear up before I get there in 2 weeks.

Steve
You are rushing the season for here a little so please be very careful. The sand/gravel will still be there in places from Marion to Tazewell. And that is the easy part...from Tazewell to Beckley, the coal dust that coats the road forms a pasty slurry that is slicker than gobs of snot when wet. Like the mountains in NC, there a many little hollows along the route that simply don't get much sun even now...those are the ones you gotta watch...GREASY SLIPPERY.

I'm not saying don't ride it, just slow down a little and use extra caution. Me and Luvtoride rode it in Feb year before last, but then again, neither of us have any sense!

... There's a handful of us out of central North Carolina that want to do a little early season 2 day adventure up to Lewisburg and back.
I'm feeling left out. :(

...Me and Luvtoride rode it in Feb year before last, but then again, neither of us have any sense!
Glad you said it first.

:)

I found a new 311 in NC. It's already gravel free. Wanna play???

... There's a handful of us out of central North Carolina that want to do a little early season 2 day adventure up to Lewisburg and back.

...Me and Luvtoride rode it in Feb year before last, but then again, neither of us have any sense!
Glad you said it first.

:)

I found a new 311 in NC. It's already gravel free. Wanna play???
Definitely interested. Gotta heal up a little first though, coming off surgery where they carved a nice set of S-curves around my earlobe...wearing a helmet is presently something of a challenge. Follow up w/ doc tomorrow, will know more then. Otherwise, I would have been down to play this past weekend. GETTING OLD SUCKS.

Yes, 1st of May probably a safer bet. On the way in, be aware that Odd Road and Farley Creek are one and a half lane back roads - rideable fun, but with due caution.
EDIT: I was thinking Pluto Road out of Shady (1 1/2 lane) instead of Farley Creek/Mount View. Mount View Road might be a one laner all the way thru to 3...maybe Ok maybe not with a group...may be ahead to just stay 19 on into Shady Spring to pick up 3. 3 is a good ride, you'll like it.

On the way out, if you are going to end up in Christiansburg anyway, you might want to give Rt 311 from Crows, VA (White Sulphur Springs, WV) to Salem, VA a look see. On 311S, just short of Catabwa, VA there is a cutoff road to the Blacksburg / Christiansburg area...VA RT 785 I think it is. A MUCH MORE FUN way to get from Lewisburg to Christiansburg for about the same mileage.
Thanks for the heads up about those back roads though I usually box the group into a minimum 1 dirt road when I lead. Oooohhh, you should hear the grumbling! I thought about 311 but not sure...have been through there a couple times and it was covered in gravel...kinda spooky. Plus, I could be wroing but I'm thinking the route by Mountain Lake is where they made the movie "Dirty Dancing". How cool is that?!

No one should ever feel left out! I PM'ed you.

Thanks for the heads up about those back roads
Both are paved, just tight and narrow, i.e. it depends on the riders in your group.

though I usually box the group into a minimum 1 dirt road when I lead.
You and Jeff should get along famously then!!! :rolleyes:

Y'all have a safe ride.

Just to let you know. This weekend I traveled 16 from Marion to 42-the part over Walker Mountain. Before I started out, I talked to my aunt who lives in Richlands and travels 16 every day to Marion and back. She said it was clear and they have not had enough snow to warrent gravel. I did not fully believe her, but she said that the only debris in the road was normal rock-fall stuff and spill out from drives. She was right. That section I traveled was clear. No real evidence of gravels spread for snow. I went past one small linear patch scattered in the middle of the road--totally avoidable. There was really no indication or reason that the rest sould be much different -at least as far as the Richlands vicinity. YMMV B)

Before I started out, I talked to my aunt who lives in Richlands and travels 16 every day to Marion and back. She said it was clear and they have not had enough snow to warrent gravel.
My bad. I was the one who wrote about the snow and I absolutely screwed up on which road was being asked about. He asked about Beckley and I was thinking Berkely, as in Springs. (Berkely Springs is in the north part of WV and Beckley is in the south.)

BTW, riding through the north part of WV a couple of weeks ago, the roads were pretty typical and winter's gone.

Sounds like fun.

Bob

Just to let you know. This weekend I traveled 16 from Marion to 42-the part over Walker Mountain. Before I started out, I talked to my aunt who lives in Richlands and travels 16 every day to Marion and back. She said it was clear and they have not had enough snow to warrent gravel. I did not fully believe her, but she said that the only debris in the road was normal rock-fall stuff and spill out from drives. She was right. That section I traveled was clear. No real evidence of gravels spread for snow. I went past one small linear patch scattered in the middle of the road--totally avoidable. There was really no indication or reason that the rest sould be much different -at least as far as the Richlands vicinity. YMMV B)
Thanks for the update! We rescheduled the ride for May 10/11 so hopefully all the roads through there and on up to Beckley and Lewisburg will be clear.

Main roads will be in good shape by then. Took the KLR thru Mount View road to check it out. The Farley Creek portion is OK for a paved single lane. There is a 6 mile stretch that is a little iffy on an FJR or similar weight machine...paved single lane w/ nasty berms. Meeting traffic (and ther was some traffic) will be a beatch. Take it slow if you choose to ride it. Locals seemed to think the paved portion of the right of way is reserved just for them.

Also, if memory serves, your turn off to Odd Road will be marked as "Coal City Road" on the Rt 16N end near Corrine. Odd Road is a 90 degree right about half way thru to Coal City and is easy to miss if your not looking for it.

I was up 19, 60, 20 and all over between 33 and 64 two weekends ago. Gravel was everywhere. Not terrible but kept things a bit slower in the corners.

I ride out out of Greensboro all the time. I would adjust your route from Hanging Rock to take Hwy 89 instead of 66. 89 is a much better road. On the return, take Hwy 8 from Floyd down to Stuart then 704 through Sandy Ridge to Madison. some of the best riding in the area. Todd

Route to Lewisburg

Return Route